It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Heterosexual Experiment. Ingrained Bias Or Social Conditioning?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Hello again ATS!

Question: Do you think that bias and bigotry are so fully entrenched in the American psyche that people engage in it without thought or even being aware of it?

I feel that this is a relevant question and one that might promote a much needed discussion. With that in mind, I present you with something called "The Heterosexual Experiment".

The place is Austin, Texas and the person who made the video went around and asked people on the street a simple question: "Would you vote for an admitted heterosexual?"

The answers shown speak for themselves.

Obviously the person who created the content did not include those who knew what heterosexuality is. I would imagine ( or hope ) that the vast majority of people either knew the correct definition or simply did not feel that sexuality has anything to do with other aspects of life. So that point is conceded up front. This video is edited to only show the worst possible answers.

But, having said that... These are still answers. These are still things that people said. Particularly troubling, to me, is the man saying he is running for Mayor who praises Hitler and then suggests that all heterosexuals be put into gas chambers, along with the poor, and "napalmed". Obviously he thinks he is discussing homosexuals and, frankly, no matter who he thinks he is discussing, his opinions are absolutely reprehensible and shocking.

I think that this experiment fully shows a problem that we, as a society, should be aware of. People who seem to be conditioned into regurgitating talking points based solely upon the sound of a word.

This is a very dangerous thing and we should be conscious of the fact that it exists.

What do you think ATS?

Thanks for reading!
edit on 8/10/15 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Sorry if this is off-topic but it reminds me of something I read not long ago. There was a candidate (for governor of some state, I think) and his opponent went around saying that he was an admitted heterosexual and a card carrying member of the ACLU. You know, in an attempt to slander him. He was playing on people's ignorance.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
Hello again ATS!

Question: Do you think that bias and bigotry are so fully entrenched in the American psyche that people engage in it without thought or even being aware of it?

I don't think its social conditioning, I think its a natural defense mechanism. In fact, I'd say it takes a lot of social conditioning to get over the repulsion. I'm still trying.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
To be honest, it's not particularly shocking. People have been herded like cattle since the dawn of time to accept an ideology rooted in their predominant senses by indoctrination. Unless the education system changes, nothing will change and in fact the education system HAS changed.... it becomes more and more grotesque with each passing generation. There is no room for individual thought anymore.

I'd also like to add that the man who, quite honestly, should be killed on the spot for his beliefs (the irony is real), is not an accurate representative of the majority.
edit on 10-8-2015 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Well, biology states the hetero way is the only way for mankind to continue on, so it's not too crazy to think we're conditioned to react in a way... I don't think its american psyche or anything like that.. i think its our biological makeup
edit on 10-8-2015 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Damn heterosexuals and their dihydrogen monoxides.
I hate them all.
They stink.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Firstly, they probably had to ask a hundred people these questions to find the one that hasn't a clue. These type of "people are so stupid" shorts are purposely edited or rigged for shock value. Which is why I really dislike them.

Secondly, why do you think it's only the American psyche with underlying bias and racism? Visit with people from any place or any culture on the planet and ask the right questions, and you will find PLENTY of ignorance, racism and hate. You will find carbon copies of this guy in every town, on every street, and in every niche on this planet.
edit on 10-8-2015 by eeyipes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

The Repulsion of Heterosexuals?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Jesus Mary and Joe! Just left the area of Austin TX ( RTX ) That's so absurd that as soon as someone hears "sexual " in said context, they assume LGBT. Annnnd cappooooot! " no no no, no way. Move along.... edit here: who cares? Just be qualified.
NEW RULE!
Stop!
Think!
Then speak!
Make sure you heard what was said.... right now there is a smoking bear and trash picking Indian left crying in the wind.

Only you can prevent trashy ignorance!

edit on 10-8-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: eeyipes
Firstly, they probably had to ask a hundred people these questions to find the one that hasn't a clue. These type of "people are so stupid" shorts are purposely edited or rigged for shock value. Which is why I really dislike them.

A point conceded in the OP and elaborated upon.

Obviously 100% of everyone will not agree with anything, therefore any conversation on any given topic tends to focus upon those being discussed and not the remainder of the test set.

Still that doesn't take away from the fact that these people did answer the question the way they did, and they are representative of some segment of the population. That is worthy of discussion.

originally posted by: eeyipes

Secondly, why do you think it's only the American psyche with underlying bias and racism? Visit with people from any place or any culture on the planet and ask the right questions, and you will find PLENTY of ignorance, racism and hate. You will find carbon copies of this guy in every town, on every street, and in every niche on this planet.

I never said that I think it's only America at all. What I did say is:

I think that this experiment fully shows a problem that we, as a society, should be aware of. People who seem to be conditioned into regurgitating talking points based solely upon the sound of a word.

A postulate that some among us might be conditioned into knee-jerk reaction via talking points without actually possessing a well-reasoned opinion of our own. Thus institutionally implied bigotry.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

Try not to take it personally, I did say I'm trying... though sometimes I wonder why.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Damn heterosexuals and their dihydrogen monoxides.
I hate them all.
They stink.

A true lie. ;-)

Smart. Reeeeal smart! LMAO!
edit on 11-8-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Haha! The Hitler mayor guy. This sounds exactly like something my ex-husband would say with the same fervor and almost to the letter.

Not because he was a racist napalm loving ignorant homophobe bigot, just the opposite was true but he was smart and had a very sharp wit and wicked sense of humor and absolutely loved to eff with people especially in a scenario like this with someone asking obviously loaded questions trying to trap people in their ignorance and prejudice. With a straight face and convincing manner, he could roll this stuff out all day long until it became outrageous enough that his sarcasm, mocking and satire was recognized so I'm not really buying the guy obscured by the smiley face. I get the point the video was trying to make though.

Regardless, the attitudes conveyed in the clip are nothing new or a surprise to anyone in the LGBTQ+ world. It is a danger and has always existed and if people wonder why gay or trans people or whatever marginalized group seems to be in your face, it's to maybe hope that one days this bigotry and prejudice will fade away as new generations rise up and run the world. It's really a nicer place when people get along.

Although Austin ranked third in the top 15 gayest cities in 2015 (I looked it up), it is still Texas. Nothing against Texans but it is the heartland of the conservative bible belt and overall, not traditionally a haven for the LGBTQ+ crowd or accepting or tolerant attitudes. Ask the question in Seattle, SF, Portland, etc., and it's likely to take much more legwork to sus out these ignorant and hostile attitudes.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   

I'm not Heterosexual so i didn't take it personally

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

It's called selective hearing. They were predisposed and preconditioned to selectively hear what they responded to. Also, I bet the IQ factors into it.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Hello again ATS!

Thanks for reading!

Maybe there is some truth to what other ATSers are saying about it being a natural response... or it could be something indoctrinated into our society from churches. After all, little kids have been shown to not care whether someone is a homosexual or a heterosexual. That shows some evidence of indoctrination later on.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   

I don't think its social conditioning, I think its a natural defense mechanism. In fact, I'd say it takes a lot of social conditioning to get over the repulsion. I'm still trying.

You think homophobia is a natural defense mechanism? Against what?

Here's something pretty ironic considering you have a giraffe for an avatar.

Homosexual behavior in animals:

Male giraffes have been observed to engage in remarkably high frequencies of homosexual behavior. After aggressive "necking", it is common for two male giraffes to caress and court each other, leading up to mounting and climax. Such interactions between males have been found to be more frequent than heterosexual coupling.[82] In one study, up to 94% of observed mounting incidents took place between two males. The proportion of same sex activities varied between 30 and 75%, and at any given time one in twenty males were engaged in non-combative necking behavior with another male. Only 1% of same-sex mounting incidents occurred between females.[83]

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

Hello again ATS!

Your saving grace is that you are 'still trying' But please try to use a bit of diplomacy or tact.
You could have said something like 'But I'm still not comfortable with it'

There are gay people on this site that have feelings, like you have.

Thanks and regards.
OE

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   

'Murricah!

Yair.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   
If I were a homosexual in America I would seriously consider moving to a more tolerant country. Some of those comments were damn scary. What's with all the Nazi emulation? Seriously scary. People should have a natural response and repulsion to Nazism
edit on 11-8-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join