It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Have a phone with Fingerprint password? Well I can steal your fingerprint!

page: 1

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:29 PM
So I'm shopping for a new phone last week because our old one's have a time limit when after a year or two, they intentionally shut down everything and crap out... just kidding, it was just another apple product.

So after they crapped out my wife and I decided we needed a new phone. There was an add in a local flier that said "iPhone 5c $0!!!!" and "iPhone 5s $50!!!!", So we hopped in our trusty, non-apple vehicle and drove to the store (not an apple store). We looked at the available features, and the the fingerprint feature was available for the iphone 5s, but not the 5c. Which is an instant selling feature for us! NO WAY IN HELL ARE WE BUYING A FINGERPRINT SENSOR!

Guess our suspicions were correct.

For the past few years, both Apple and the various Android manufacturers have been pushing the idea of fingerprint readers, typically on the dubious grounds that biometric security is a better choice compared to a good passcode. New research from the security firm FireEye seems to blow that claim wide open, however. According to FireEye, multiple Android manufacturers protect your fingerprint so poorly, it can be read by plugging the phone into a computer and knowing which folder to access.

Now, we didn't get an Android, but with issue's like this occurring in other phone-brands, why would it be so difficult to conceive that the other brands have similar issues.

Anyways, thought you should know!
edit on 10/8/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:39 PM
This is kinda what I don't get about ANY electronic security feature... There's always a bypass, isn't there? If it's a mechanism, can't you skip most of it and apply (or take away) electricity and activate the mechanism? If it's software, there's always gonna be a way to hack it.

However, even if it's NOT electrical, I understand that there's way to pick locks, and whatever, but I think people better understand the risk, don't they? Also, this would require invaders to be at the location physically, putting them at risk of getting caught, rather than being in some basement or alley, anonymously, giving more opportunity for covering tracks, and/or making it look like someone else did it...

I'm often wrong on things, so please, tell me why I'm wrong about this...
edit on 8/10/2015 by japhrimu because: few choice words/phrases

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:42 PM
I'm not concerned at all... If someone wants in, they can get in. Simple as that.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:49 PM
I know! People think a fingerprint "password" is somehow a good thing. Someone can get your fingerprint on something without much trouble. Full disclosure of creepy: I once met a guy wayyyyy in the woods (six miles in) who had no fingerprints, and said he rubbed them off on an area of cement.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:50 PM
a reply to: Ghost147

You aren't supposed to talk about this.

That's the problem with all the modern security protocols that involve biometrics. Once your fingerprint, retina, or face have been scanned, it can be hacked and stolen just like any password can. But people who don't understand how the technology works, are lulled into a false sense of security.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:52 PM
I do seemingly crazy patterns that are actually just a symbol and easy to carve out. Switch them up every month for funzies.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:56 PM
a reply to: WeAre0ne

I agree... I (so far) got nothing to steal... If someone did, as far as banks go, my accounts supposedly have fraud protection...

That being said, what if someone (an activist/truther/anti-establishmenter/etc.) were to get too popular, except with certain "elites" and those "elites" wanted to frame said person with something heinous? Too easy with electronics/software stuff, wouldn't it be?

I know hypotheticals are weak, but you can be wary of something even before it happens... It's called caution. (I know, or paranoia. Lol)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:05 PM
Nothing is safe... doesn't matter if it is a passcode or biometrics. If you can get in, someone else can.

I remember one time I told my friend I can get past his phone security (he used a password) without having access to his phone, without guessing the password, without installing anything on his phone. He didn't believe me... So I told him one day I will show him.

One random day he came over to my house, and we were hanging out in my garage like we always do. And, like always, he checks his phone multiple times over a span of an hour or more as we hang out and tune up motorcycles and drink some beers. Then as usual the night ends and he goes home.

Then the next day, he comes over again, but this time I told him to give me his phone, and I enter his pass code and posted "I told you so" status on his facebook account. That is when he gets really mad, and surprised, and confused. Till this day he has no idea how I did it.

A single well placed hidden GoPro camera, and knowledge of habits. That's all it takes.
edit on 10-8-2015 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 12:15 AM
None of the passwords are safe, even encrypted ones, especially finger prints.

How about something promoted for phone password safety to the effect of a cold storage password device. You'd have to plug it into the phone and it allows you to access it's contents. Similar to authenticator thumb drives that online games have for safer passwords.

One the other hand I believe there's special phone cases that block out network/wireless hacks of phones.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:20 AM
Aren't iPhone prints stored as mathimatical values rather than actual finger prints though?

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:41 AM
3 words Total Device Encryption. Given that I am sure if you are that hell bent on finding out whats on my phone and have the time and resources, than it is likely that you would already know most of what you want anyway. Ohh and my favorite hacker mantra... Physical access is total access, so don't hand people you phone... duh.