It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where does Gravity come from?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Where does Gravity come from?

I was thinking about this for some days and I just cant find an aswer to it, yes I know that when there is mass there is gravity, and when there is more mass there is more gravity, but that still does not explain where it comes from? why would atoms or molucules have some power inside them that just let them all come together?

I was thinking about light....Because I believe Einstein sad mass is a collection of enegy, and light is energy right? but light is energy that is moving in one direction, because when all the light ''particles'' move in a diffrent way it becomes heat but there was where I got stuck, and there I ask if someone knows where it comes from or maybe knows just a little more so I can try to find it out myslef

(I do not think that light is constructed from particles but I think it is somesort of liquid, hard to explain)

Oh and If someone knows how light gets it speed, I am also very interested in that aswer)

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
There are many theorys on this subject, but I believe the most accepted one is dealing with quantum physics and sub-atomic particles. Im not going to get to deep into it because I know just enough about this subject to make an arse out of myself. Try doing a search on metacrawler of quantum physics and gravity. You should find a pelethora of info on the subject.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Here's an excellent starting point: www.pbs.org... Most recent string theory work is prety exotic when dealing with gravity... theorizing that gravity is actually not a very week force, it just "seems" that way.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Well, as you said matter just attracts more matter, mass just pulls everything around it close to it. It's entirely sociable I guess. It's just a law, I don't know how else to explain it.

In reference to light, if it were a liquid it would still be composed of particals as liquid is nothing but a bunch of particals and atoms like all else. Now light gets its speed from just being energy. Energy move away at a constant speed, always taking the course will least resistance. An example, light would have trouble continuing on through a prism, so it becomes bent once contact is made in order to sustain itself. So just like Electricity, the beam coming from a flashlight will travel at away from its place of origion. Light moves quickly because energy in itself will travel quickly due to the reaction between ions, electrons, anodes, cathodes etc. They're moving about which causes the light energy to move.

It's been a while since I've taken a physics course, so i hope that little bit of information helps. I'm pretty sure it's all accurate, but like I said, it's been a while. heh

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Cosmic kitchen. Some good theories out there - we know by observation that anything with mass has gravity so that is pretty well proven.

The quantum guys are noodling on this one as everything is boiling down to pint size sub atomic particles (and or strings) being at the core of everything but we are not there yet.

Gravity Probe B should add some nifty data to the cooker so we are starting to get a handle on it....

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I have a good theroy as to how mass causes gravity and the realy cool thing is if im right then gravity is a result of energy created By atoms so it should be possible to find a way to cancel the effect .
wile this info will do me no good in my life time Ill be passing it down to my kids for them to finly figer out the details.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
There is no such thing as gravity - the earth sucks

Anyway, that's the way I heard it ...

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
There is no such thing as gravity - the earth sucks

Anyway, that's the way I heard it ...

Funny - jump off your roof and tell us about gravity then (wait - actually don't do that unless you are a trained professional!!) - that whole 9.8m/s thing sucks and the last I heard we were calling it gravity....

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I thought gravity had something to do with the magnetic pulls of the earth...like two magnets attract and detract.....

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Here's my theory I posted on a different thread...

From what I've seen, Gravity is more of an effect as opposed to some actual thing. Like a very complicated form of centripetal motion or centrifugal motion. Where you have to think of a huge wash of electrons desperately trying to reduce their orbits over their super heated parent atoms. Heat something it expands, cool something it contracts. So, as the core is super heated an pressurized and then rapidly spun, the electrons are spun outward and away, but they must still maintain some sort of orbit no matter how far out they are. Example, heat a magnet and the field disappears or did it? The field may be weaker just simply because the force was sent further out over a larger area and can no longer be detected. Cool it off, and presto, it returns. Now, really cool it down, and the force falls in on itself and will do wierd things like superconducting.

I say all this, after observing a strange effect from some university science experiment on TV. They had a huge magnet at some lab. A large round one on its side, probably about 6-7 feet in diameter. With a 3 inch hole in its center. Not sure what their experiment was supposed to be, but one of the students put an object in that hole while the magnet was on and it went into a free fall. The object floated in the center. They put a spider and frog in there, and both became weightless while in the center of this giant magnet. Neither was harmed. I guess they blew off their main experiment to explain this new effect. Nothing was super cooled, so it wasn't like those levitation, anti-gravity experiments you see.

I believe the magnet was powerful enough to cancel the effect of gravity or electron wash within that hole and cause a free fall. Its field created a bubble strong enough for a tiny area to be free of gravity, or those particles responsible for it which are orbiting in and out of the core, like a vacuum tube is sealed from the atmosphere.

Now when applied to another thread concerning frame dragging it would easily explain what's going on. I don't buy the time/space warping idea proposed by most scientist. Its probably more mundane than that, which most things in nature tend to be. The spacecraft in the frame dragging experiment are being dragged along in the wash of particles zooming in and out of the core creating both the magnetic field and gravity effect. Like a leaf in a gentle stream, the satellites are being dragged along by a sheer mass of particles. Its not much, but apparently measurable. The very air is made up of large atoms dense enough to allow airflight.

Now when comparing planetary gravity fields like mars, earth and venus which are relatively similar in size, it probably boils down to what heavy elements are in their respective cores and then the respective pressures on the exterior of that core bearing down on it. Venus has the sheer weight of its atmosphere which would probably be the equivalent to converting earth's oceans to steam. Earth has the pressure of both atmosphere and oceans exerting pressure on the mantle. While mars has no appreciable atmosphere or water for that matter to exert pressure on its mantle to help rev up its interior core.

It's just my opinion, but it makes the most sense. Its probably the most direct explanation of the effect. I watch a show on quantum physics the other day, and they still have no solid explanation for gravity, I couldn't believe it.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Curses Overlord!

You beat me to the Elegant Universe suggestion.

Drats.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
capt proton, thx, that was good thinking....I learned in science class about the "strong force" within the atom, in which the neutrons and protons bind each other,,,,i wonder if gravity could be an expression of that strong force at a distance??? ie, the neutons and protons trying to pull together even among masses that are great distances apart.........

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Gravity is only caused by moving objects.

To prove my point, put water in a bucket and swing it around. The water will not fall out because of "containment/pressure", thats gravity!

Magnitism has alot to do with it to but im not going to get into that today!

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by et is dead
Gravity is only caused by moving objects.

To prove my point, put water in a bucket and swing it around. The water will not fall out because of "containment/pressure", thats gravity!

Magnitism has alot to do with it to but im not going to get into that today!

On the Macro scale Gravity appears to come from mass and momentum I believe.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I don't know much about quantum mechanics, but from my observations, mass can only be measured because of gravity - a combined effort of a bunch of atoms. It is a relative measurement between zero mass and something more, because all weight is based on a local gravity pull.

The thing is, it seems matter has zero mass when it is in space, but when it combines into a conglomerate form - like a planet - it provides gravity. The only thing I can see is that mass does not provide gravity unless it moves locally - like the earths rotation. I think it is some factor of mass and speed, which creates the force of pull. If the earth were smaller, changed density, or rotated at a different rate, the gravity pull would change.

I too know enough about quantum to kill myself, but your question is neat. I don't know why an atom has pull to attract others or why they combine into a planent, or even why they eventually form sizes of planets with certain orbits and rotations. Good luck with your search of knowledge.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   
gravity pretty much comes from our core.. which is suposebly much a very very very very small star well thats what scientest belive.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I will also recommend the Elegant Universe link above.

Here is a link to some things about gravity:
www.curtin.edu.au...

Also, you mentioned Einstein.

Energy = mass * speed of light (squared)

or E=mc^2

There is your relationship between energy and mass.

Gravity is an energy believed to be related to the other 3 major forces (strong and weak nuclear, electromagnetism)

Here is a good site:
www.schoolscience.co.uk...

If you are pretty smart (no joke here), you could try this site:
particleadventure.org...

It is a bit tough to follow, but explains just about anything you'd want to know, step-by-step.

Read these links to the best of your ability (maybe not all of the last one) and really try to see the link on the Elegant Universe and you should be pretty knowledgable on the subject. Best of luck.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Gravity is generally considered to be a particle waveform emmited from a mass that acts and behaves similar to magnetism in its inverse sqaure properties of attraction. The fact it hasn't been found or measured seems to point to other possibilities, such as "the distortion of ether" theory which I personally like. This is basically like a bubble displacing a liquid if you were to ignore bouyancy, in as much that the liquid tries to return the bubble to a zero point.
Zero Point is an often maligned term as its often ascociated with cranks and scammers, but in effect if mainstream science was to explore the "Zero Point" aspect of gravity it would alert the masses to the existance of energies obtained by matter being pressured back into nothing and to tap into this would lead to dependancies on fossil fuels being made obsolete.
I would be negligent if I didnt offer another more complete possibility to the explanation of gravity with the "matrix" version. Regardless of its absurdity the "infinity of space" conundrum can be easily derived with the assertation we are just a program of some kind and that all we experience is not real but lines of code, to which everything from prophecy to infinity can be defined. Things such as life span is only but an equation of who wrote your code (heredity), your diet choices (a+b=85 years) ect... but hang on this kind of senario implies a program creator.....think!!!
Look and you will find the truth, follow blindly and you will be lead by the blind.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Think of space time as a rubber sheet streked tight now put an object on it it will bend down from it right. Well gravaty is like that with matter "rolling" in to these dips in space time.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Gravity, Black Holes and Gravitational Waves

Spacetime is the combination of the 3-dimensional space we live in plus time. According to Albert Einstein's theory of General Relativity spacetime can be visualized as a rubber sheet which gets deformed by any object which has mass or energy. This deformation is called curvature of spacetime. All the stars, planets, particles and things in the universe cause spacetime to curve. The amount of curvature caused by any one object is proportional to its mass and energy. Below is an example of the spacetime curvature caused by a spherical object.

Spacetime and Gravity

Comment: We live in the mass of the earth, a space-time curvature, back on itself as gravitation. This is difficult to realize, but space-time itself is altered from the status of regular space where say only your spacecraft itself is the mass, in human terms to visualize. In outer space microgravity is the apparent relative ambiance of gravitational energy from any mass object proximity.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join