It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary Releases Her Plan for Student Loan Reform

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Scum bag liars......The government took over student debt for a reason......Control. They will garnish your tax returns and wages to get this money back. This was planned and the main reason they push kids to go to college so hard.

40% of grads do not get jobs in the field they studied. They know the figures and are reaping the reward. This is what progressive ideals and leadership look like in real life. It is all feel good pie in the sky........But you still owe the money.......With interest.
edit on 11-8-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Yep, where he works is the UN. Degree holders come from all over, but there are very, very few from mainland Europe.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
a reply to: Aazadan

It isn't the degrees, its the BS classes that you have to take. Why should a Mechanical Engineering student have to take anything other that the core classes for their degree? The answer is simple. To subsidize the jobs of Professors with worthless degrees.

Because those classes make you a more well rounded person. More specifically, they teach you to think from different perspectives which carries over to your main program in giving you greater problem solving ability.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Come on pull the other one.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

So I take it you can't tell me what a technical writing class and a drawing class have in common? Or a political science class and an engineering class?

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I am old and managed to actually make money for going to school, I got GI Bill and money from the place that I worked.
Tuition reinbursment with the GI money being one of the few sources the company allowed for double dips. I don't know if there are many companies offering this benefit anymore. I just wanted to say that your suggestion made more sense than anything else I've read in this thread.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

So I take it you can't tell me what a technical writing class and a drawing class have in common? Or a political science class and an engineering class?

The question does one even care?

In the UK such wastes of time are optional and sometimes not even offered.

Hasnt stopped me haveing a successful career and makeing lots and lots of money. And at the end of the day thats what matters, not libral arts mumbo jumbo.

Maybe if people spent more time doing actual real courses and not basket weaving and womens politic studys they might get a job outside of flipping burgers?

edit on 11-8-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: crazyewok

Yep, where he works is the UN. Degree holders come from all over, but there are very, very few from mainland Europe.

Its actually got to a point were a lot of mainland university's send there students to the UK for a year on placement so they can get lab experience in.

Our university's love it as they rake the money in !

I dont think people who want free university for all realize how expensive it is to finance a university with any meaningful facilities
The biology labs alone at mine could burn through £10k a day or more!

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
One idea I've never heard presented is universal student debt forgiveness via volunteering. For example, I'd be happy to have volunteered a couple of Saturday's a month towards some non-profit engineering effort like Engineers Without Borders or the Corps of Engineers for 5 or 6 years in exchange for student loan debt forgiveness. It wouldn't be that difficult to put together 250-300 hours of volunteering per year. Even those with degrees in the arts could volunteer with children or the elderly or even doing park cleanups and such.

It would be a mutual benefit between the student and the community.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
The question does one even care?

In the UK such wastes of time are optional and sometimes not even offered.

Hasnt stopped me haveing a successful career and makeing lots and lots of money. And at the end of the day thats what matters, not libral arts mumbo jumbo.

It has been shown to lead to a higher quality of education. Specifically, it makes graduates more creative.

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
One idea I've never heard presented is universal student debt forgiveness via volunteering. For example, I'd be happy to have volunteered a couple of Saturday's a month towards some non-profit engineering effort like Engineers Without Borders or the Corps of Engineers for 5 or 6 years in exchange for student loan debt forgiveness. It wouldn't be that difficult to put together 250-300 hours of volunteering per year. Even those with degrees in the arts could volunteer with children or the elderly or even doing park cleanups and such.

It would be a mutual benefit between the student and the community.

It's not volunteering but the US does offer loan forgiveness in many programs if you commit to working X years for the government or in a disadvantaged area. Personally I like that route more because I don't like the idea of forced volunteering for benefits as it pushes people out of paid work.
edit on 11-8-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Oh Hillary, when will you ever tell the whole story or work to fix something; hmmm...oh yeah, after you and Good ole Bill make huge profits.

Go figure...

Hillary Clinton Cracks Down On For Profit Colleges After She Cashes In

Former President Bill Clinton collected more than $16 million from 2010 to 2014 as honorary chancellor of Laureate Education, a for-profit company that runs 80 education institutions around the globe, according to recently released tax returns. Four of its six U.S. colleges were flagged on the Education Department’s list of schools whose access to federal financial aid was being monitored out of concern over financial irresponsibility.

edit on 11-8-2015 by Daedal because: edit

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
It's not volunteering but the US does offer loan forgiveness in many programs if you commit to working X years for the government or in a disadvantaged area. Personally I like that route more because I don't like the idea of forced volunteering for benefits as it pushes people out of paid work.

The only problem I have with that program is that it runs alongside paying the loans off and it is pretty limited. IIRC, it is only applicable to teachers and medical personell. I'm talking about more of a universally eligible program for all college grads with loans which would actually replace paying those loans back. It is still volunteering, it's just volunteering with a benefit involved and it would be centered more towards traditional volunteer activities. "Engineers without Borders," for instance, involves wholly uncompensated vounteer work by engineers as it is. The only cap on what they are capable of doing is found in the limited number of engineers who volunteer with the organization. A policy like this would be beneficial to the students in paying their loans, but it would also provide a significant benefit to the community via a sharp increase in volunteers.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I've always wondered why working for the government gets you forgiveness. In many ways these days, you are better off working for the government over working for the private sector. So why should that earn you an out?

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Husband would do it with his bio/microbio skills to get rid of the rest of his loans. Even if all it did was waive the interest so that he was paying principal, he'd do it.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I've always wondered why working for the government gets you forgiveness. In many ways these days, you are better off working for the government over working for the private sector. So why should that earn you an out?

Because it's giving back to the country that sponsored you to go to school. It's the same idea as companies that will pay for your schooling as long as you agree to work for them X years which is somewhat common in the private sector though not as common as it used to be. Programming is a field where that seems to be fairly common, I've taught a lot of programmers over the years that were attending school through these types of arrangements with employers. Going by what I read on various forums it seems to be common elsewhere too so that's not just my experience. Both of my parents attended grad school (different fields than me) through these types of employer programs as well.

a reply to: burdman30ott6

Husband would do it with his bio/microbio skills to get rid of the rest of his loans. Even if all it did was waive the interest so that he was paying principal, he'd do it.

All student loans should become interest free in my opinion. The government already recoups their investment through the higher taxes they get to take out of that persons paycheck, and the interest model encourages the government to try and make a profit on the loans. I think it incentivizes corruption to create models where the government profits off the people.
edit on 11-8-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
If more money is available for loans, colleges will just charge higher tuitions.

What we need is more jobs that do not require college for those who do not fit with those careers. Trump promises to bring back the jobs that are getting stolen by China and other countries. I believe he could do it. More jobs mean a healthier economy. Then people could afford to pay for their own education if they want it.
edit on 8/11/15 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/11/15 by BlueAjah because: I blame the typos on the tiny touchpad on the phone.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enlil2215
a reply to: xuenchen

Why not just make higher education free? Honestly if we want productive intelligent people why not provide free learning?

They would have to actually provide some learning first.
Public schools do well at indoctrination though.

Why should I pay for what amounts to advertising for a system that used to work but is now broken.
Too many people get degrees and end up working at Burger King or Target which means we either have too many grads or not enough appropriate jobs. Nobody is creating jobs here and the government is of no use in that regard either.

Hillary is trying to be the Good Witch of the North and start granting wishes here.
edit on 11-8-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

The government loves to be generous then they change their mind and decide to clamp down.

We saw it with housing loans and Freddy Mac

We saw it with credit cards and the ability to file bankruptcy no longer an option.

Now they going for the throat with student loans, or will soon.

It's their established M.O.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

To be fair and add some context, the housing thing was basically the gov. saying "hey, banks -- make loans a little easier for people..." and for many years in the 90's the banks didn't really do anything with the mandates. Then, some people within the banking community figured out they could use these new federal mandates to do predatory loans and make a killing.

It started with well-meaning deregulation and mandates from the federal government, that for several years weren't taken advantage of. Ultimately, it was the big banks that abused the hell out of the system and took a ton of people as suckers with ARM's and loaning to people even the government probably never intended.

Sure there's some blame to be placed with the government, but the majority of it should be dumped on the banks that really went nuts.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join