It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Marshals Raid Wrong Apartment, Force Mother and Children to Stand Outside Naked at Gunpoint

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Wrong address... Really, how hard is it to verify the address before raiding someone???

Local News Story Video at link:
www.copblock.org...

“My daughter went to the peep hole. They had the finger over the peep hole, so we couldn’t identify who they were . . . they just knocked down the door. We didn’t have on any clothes. I was completely naked. My daughter didn’t have on any clothes. They started screaming, telling everybody to get out of the house.”

Being held outside at gunpoint by the U.S. Marshals and wrapped in only a bed sheet, the mother, still unaware of why police were even at her apartment, screamed to the officers that her 4-year-old son was inside. She begged for them not to hurt him. ‘Please don’t shoot my son,'” she pleaded.

Eventually, one of the U.S. Marshals noticed something wrong.

“Isn’t this apartment 203?” one of the Marshals said.

At that moment, both Hannah Lanes and her daughter exclaimed, “No!”

“Oh, we have the wrong house,” the Marshal replied.

Lanes and her family live in room 201 which was marked clearly on the door.

edit on 10-8-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

+15 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I read this story and found I wasn't surprised. This entire country from top to bottom is in complete and total collapse. When a story like this is just one of a thousand, every day, maybe people will start to realize it's time for a change.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Helious

People only realize that when it touches home, when their brothers and sisters are being shot and executed wrongly accused or abused by the justice system, there's a lot of people in the U.S, even still the highest prison population in the world. As of now these story's are only effecting 'those guys', or a friend of a friend, but the grip of oppression slowly tightens it's a vicious cycle. As it does more people will be effected and at that time no amount of smart phone mass production will stop the blow back. Sadly many more will likely have to suffer.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I guess reading apartment numbers clearly posted on the door they were breaking into was out of the question?
If they put their hand over the peephole, they had to have seen the numbers above it. Is being illiterate a requirement for being a US Marshall these days? I mean, I knew they were dumbing down the local PDs with not hiring high IQ folks, but this is ridiculous.
I hope this lady finds herself a good civil rights lawyer and gets what is owed her from this crazy bunch of fools.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
well at least they didn't throw a flash granade at the boy and blow his face off???

I just can't see how they can be so careless....I mean, it doesn't take but a few seconds to confirm that you are raiding the right address, wtf.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
why was everyone naked?

This is just unacceptable.. They should all be arrested for trespassing, domestic terrorism, kidnapping, assault, breaking and entering, and for just all out stupidity .

Hold them accountable..
edit on 10-8-2015 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Seems they were lax, for lack of a more harsh term, in checking up on the details before raiding. More than uncalled for. Especially since searching for a "fugitive wanted for First and Second Degree Child Sexual Abuse," that per chance a child was with the perp, shouldn't be subjected to any more harm. To say they needed to pay more attention to detail to prevent these mishaps.

At this time we cannot comment on potential or pending litigation. However, any member of the public who believes that their property has been damaged as a result of a USMS operation may submit a claim under the Federal Tort Claims Act.”
-op source
How about mental health counseling? That's downright terror that isn't going to go away from these people for a very long time.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I'm sure that none of you who are unforgiving towards this mistake, have ever made a mistake themselves at work.

Mistakes happen. Demanding zero tollerance for simple mistakes is a good way to make sure nobody ever wants to be a LEO ever again.

edit on pMon, 10 Aug 2015 21:40:34 -05002015 134Mon, 10 Aug 2015 21:40:34 -0500pmAmerica/ChicagoMonday by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

+25 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA
I'm sure that none of you who are inforgiving towards this mistake, have ever made a mistake at work.

Mistakes happen. Demanding zero tollerance for simple mistakes is a good way to make sure nobody ever wants to be a LEO ever again.

I have never accidentally broke into the wrong house..

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I'm sure that none of you who are unforgiving towards this mistake, have ever made a mistake themselves at work.

Verifying an address? If clearly marked, I have zero tolerance for that kind of mistake. Would you like a surgeon to not verify he has the right chart before opening you up?
edit on 10-8-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

Arguably the mistake of abusing innocence executing the petty guilty and a justice system intent on a revolving door policy, and the destruction of someone's future once ensnared has lead to this sentiment. If the story's and videos were not steam rolling in faster than I can say # the police. Perhaps mistakes here and there wouldn't betray the LEO image of heroism and serving the community.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

I'm sure that none of you who are inforgiving towards this mistake, have ever made a mistake at work.

I have never accidentally broke into the wrong house..

The day is young....

Seriously though, I have witnessed some pretty dumb mistakes and made a couple of my own. Does my job intesect with public lives as a LEO delivering a warrant does? No, not nearly.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
guns and flash granades are,'t the average person's tools of the trade though.. we can't cause as much harm and quite frankly, I'm sorry but I was able to spot a small little speck on the printed materials as it traveled down the conveyor belt and notice mispelled words and other bad artwork. I am pretty sure I would have notice the address not matching up.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Arguably the mistake of abusing innocence executing the petty guilty and a justice system intent on a revolving door policy, and the destruction of someone's future once ensnared has lead to this sentiment. If the story's and videos were not steam rolling in faster than I can say # the police. Perhaps mistakes here and there wouldn't betray the LEO image of heroism and serving the community.

I think social media and the fact that everyone has a recording device on them at all times is contributing to this "sream roll" of abuse. It was always there, it just wasn't as popular as the Cosby Show like it is today.

The media wants a rift between the public and police just like they want it between races and wage gaps.
edit on pMon, 10 Aug 2015 21:56:17 -05002015 117Mon, 10 Aug 2015 21:56:17 -0500pmAmerica/ChicagoMonday by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
guns and flash granades are,'t the average person's tools of the trade though.. we can't cause as much harm and quite frankly, I'm sorry but I was able to spot a small little speck on the printed materials as it traveled down the conveyor belt and notice mispelled words and other bad artwork. I am pretty sure I would have notice the address not matching up.

You saw the one you noticed but not the ones you are still unaware of. I dont think LEO have that luxury. Any and all mistakes are thrusted into the public with alarming efficiency.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Verifying an address? If clearly marked, I have zero tolerance for that kind of mistake. Would you like a surgeon to not verify he has the right chart before opening you up?

Medical procedures cost a lot more than executing a warrent. If the public would like to chum up some more tax to make sure there are more supervisors and procedures being followed and pay LEO like a surgeon gets paid then I suppose you can draw that comparrison.

edit on pMon, 10 Aug 2015 21:53:51 -05002015 151Mon, 10 Aug 2015 21:53:51 -0500pmAmerica/ChicagoMonday by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Of course it happened again. It's going to keep happening as long as these no knock warrants allow them to break down doors. Mistakes will always be made because of the human element. These adrenalin junkie death squads can't tell one number from another when they are all jacked up. Of course they are going to make mistakes.
Thats why this method of picking up dangerous criminals is so reckless and puts everybody (including neighbors and the officers) In more potential danger. I see they finally got the guy, and with NO altercation. If she had tried to defend herself, she would be dead. If they had come to my place by accident, and busted in my door........ I prob wouldn't live to tell the story. More than a few people i know have been robbed by thieves pretending to be the law. That is why cops shouldn't break down doors in this manner. There are better ways to confront dangerous criminals. If a home owner has to hesitate before defending themselves, because it may actually be the law breaking into their house, then every home invasion will start off with

:knock knock: "OPEN UP, IT'S THE POLICE!!"

Coming to their homes has to be the worst scenario possible. That is where they keep their weapons.

At least they fixed the girl's lock right?
What a great bunch of guys. They can't do anything to fix the trauma of that experience. That lovely lady will never be the same. Those kids might never be able to trust a cop. I expect way better from the fed marshalls.

So they thought it was a good idea to send a swat team to an apartment building? Where there is a concentration of families?

If they thought this guy was dangerous, and they send these units in expecting him to fight back or even open fire on the police, why did they press the situation in the guys apartment building, surrounded by innocent people and their kids?

a reply to: infolurker

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Well in the cops defense a 1 and a 3 are nearly identical if they are illiterate.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Medical procedures cost a lot more than executing a warrent.

Both can wind up with dead people if they are wrong.

If the public would like to chum up some more tax to make sure there are more supervisors and procedures being followed and pay LEO like a surgeon gets paid then I suppose you can draw that comparrison.

So people should get paid more to do their jobs right?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Eventually, one of the U.S. Marshals noticed something wrong.

“Isn’t this apartment 203?” one of the Marshals said.
op source

The bigger problem is that they apparently continued with their mistake for far too long:
Continued; After they broke down the wrong door number-not checking it, after the supposed victims of the suspect were detained outside naked with bedsheets on, while the mother screaming to save the life of the child inside.

If they had asked what apartment it was, because clearly they couldn't tell right off hand even though the door has the number, sooner it wouldn't have escalated to this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join