It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Beauty of Atheism

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

How do you know that neither side is close to the truth? There are only two sides of this argument. Either god/s exist or they don't!

One side is correct and the other is wrong. What other options are there?

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: RealTruthSeeker I agree, saying you are a Atheist is a great way to hide especially if you are a Satanist or something else. Why would a Atheist who has no belief in a greater being be so critical of religion. Why can't atheist shut up and practice in believing in nothing and respect everybody's belief?

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: maxzen2004
a reply to: RealTruthSeeker I agree, saying you are a Atheist is a great way to hide especially if you are a Satanist or something else. Why would a Atheist who has no belief in a greater being be so critical of religion. Why can't atheist shut up and practice in believing in nothing and respect everybody's belief?

I would put a person who worships satan in the same category as the religious minded. It is the same willingness to subscribe to a belief that is not supported by any evidence. Someone who actually worships satan (i have never met anyone who actually does that) would prob not hide that fact and claim they are atheist. Just like christians and atheists are not going to pretend they are something else.

I personally respect that you actually represented atheists by their actual belief rather than making up some absurd strawman. We do not believe the claims that god/s exist. This position is not a comforting one. We do not fear or hate god/s. We just hold the concept at the same level as other incredible claims. It was difficult as a child growing up here in Tennessee, surrounded by what seems to us, as a world full of people who believe in fairy tales. People who will treat us like scum when they find out we are not christians. It happens a lot. You are basically saying it in your above post.
You ask why we are so critical of others religions? Why we can't shut up and let christians be christians? Well, i have never been afforded that type of respect by people who claim to be good christians. You just told me, and people like me, to shut up. How long have christians been the king of the hill? You seem to have no problem being rude to us and forcing your beliefs on us. I can't go anywhere without seeing your side plastered on billboards, being preached at on the streets, being overlooked by my peers, being pushed down because i don't follow the herd and pretend that fairy tales are real. This has gone on so long around the world, that there is no stopping us now. We will not shut up so that your kind can dictate our laws. We will not be silent when we are called satanists. We will not be preached at in the streets without interjecting our own thoughts and pointing out the glaring flaws in religion and the complacency that it promotes. We will not be silent when good christians use their religion as justification to abuse those who do not toe the line that they are just as guilty of not following. We do not have to shut up because we are the ones with the facts on our side. You are promoting fiction and we will call you out and rub it in your face every time.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: RealTruthSeeker

Why do atheists takes so much time to learn about God and waste so much time arguing about God with people? Like if you don't believe there's a God, then stop wasting your time on him! What is all of this research and effort doing for you?? Doesn't it bother you guys that you're obsessed with a God that you don't think exists? I'm wondering if maybe that's a signal to you that God does exist. Seriously does anybody else find it odd that all these "atheists" think and talk about is God?

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: inkhertea

It's because most of us non-believers are survivors of Christian indoctrination. Most of us used to be religiously devoted to the Christian doctrine....until we started to employ our own critical thinking. Most atheists have searched their souls, the scriptures and gone to certain extremes to justify their indoctrination, but alas, when push came to shove, just couldn't do it.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Because it hurts when I see people fail at basic biology, basic geography, basic history and more.

Then I twitch.

Then I decide if it is worth my time trying to present accomplishments of science or not.

If worthwile, I post about facts, to the best of my knowledge.

If said facts contradict theological canon it is not my fault, and not the fault of science. Because the quoted facts have usually a solid base upon which they rest rather comfortably. Therefore either religion is wrong, or the religion was misconceived, misinterpreted or just misunderstood.

If theologists are disagreeing, I sigh internally and start at point (2), the decision.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: inkhertea
a reply to: RealTruthSeeker

Why do atheists takes so much time to learn about God and waste so much time arguing about God with people? Like if you don't believe there's a God, then stop wasting your time on him! What is all of this research and effort doing for you?? Doesn't it bother you guys that you're obsessed with a God that you don't think exists? I'm wondering if maybe that's a signal to you that God does exist. Seriously does anybody else find it odd that all these "atheists" think and talk about is God?

As windword said earlier, many of us are ex-Christians so we already knew all these things before we became atheists/agnostic. However, part of being rational and proper debate etiquette is knowing what your debate opponent's position says so that you can adequately refute it without stooping to using logical fallacies. The only thing is that western atheists have a leg up on Christianity because most of us used to be Christians. Though I have been trying to make an attempt to learn the other religions, especially Islam, so I can refute them as well. Unfortunately most of my arguments against other religions are generic arguments that can apply to any religion.
edit on 17-11-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Athiests and Muslims are free game in ATS, yet any criticism of Christianity, is met with a collective meltdown of persecution complexes and complaints of Christian bashing.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join