It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sellafield, the most dangerous place on the planet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
This may not be available to people outside of the UK without using a proxy, for that, I apologise.

I have worked at Sellafield, I live just 30 miles away from it, and there are things I would love to tell you about it that would guarantee me 30 years at HMP Butlins hotel.

What a lot of people don't realise is that the bombs dropped on Hiroshima/Nagasaki were actually British/German designed, but made in America to stop the Nazis getting their hands on them.

I really hope you can view this video, it's as close to the truth as you will get about the place without breaking confidentiality rules.

Britain's Nuclear Secrets: Inside Sellafield

edit on 10/8/15 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

Dam, I can't watch it. There's not a youtube vid anywhere of this?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: RealTruthSeeker

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
So a documentary on BBC4 is about as close to the truth as we will get? Sellafield and the BBC co-operated on this video. You are only shown what they want you to see. This shows nothing new. a reply to: woogleuk

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

Thanks for the documentary, I'm gonna watch it!

Just the name reminded me of this:

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: nolabel

As an ex-sellafield worker, more particularly THORP, I can assure you, this documentary is pretty spot on.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Didn't Cumbrian whack shooter/cab driver Derrick Bird also work at Sellafield?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Wish I could watch it.
The 35 second clip looks good.

Maybe it will end up on yt someday.

I always wondered why Kraftwerk mentioned it in their radioactivity song.
Was hoping to get informed the easy way...lol

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: nolabel

I suppose you would prefer a You-Boob video from the likes of Duh-Boo-Who with loads of outright lies and misinformation in it but since it is on the internet it would be all hail truthful to you. While the BBC and Sellafield cooperated on the documentary does not mean its not new to many and that we will not find something in it that will spark interest in the subject and result in our own research (minus anything from Duh-Who-7) to learn more.

Thanks op for the video and an opportunity to learn more about some place outside our own normal boundaries. It is something we all need to do more of, get outside what we are comfortable with and learn more about other places. Thanks and just ignore the simple minded.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: nolabel
So a documentary on BBC4 is about as close to the truth as we will get? Sellafield and the BBC co-operated on this video. You are only shown what they want you to see. This shows nothing new. a reply to: woogleuk

What's to say it's not the truth? What is the "truth" you believe?

Do you just assume that your beliefs are absolutely true without needing any evidence or confirmation?
I just watched it, and it's definitely not a whitewash or propaganda piece.
I would argue that the explanation of the of the nuclear reaction itself needed more thorough explanation, but that's more of a personal gripe. I watched another documentary about this just last week which gave a much more in-depth explanation for the process, but then this was more about that specific site.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk
I have worked at Sellafield, I live just 30 miles away from it, and there are things I would love to tell you about it that would guarantee me 30 years at HMP Butlins hotel.

This little bit woogle really makes me excited aaaah come on tell us, whisper it they won't hear you lol just kidding i understand the reasons why you cannot say. At work at the minute but will give it a watch when I get home. Now am I safe in essex where people are orange or should I move north for the peace but risk of turning green
thanks for sharing

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
@woogleuk Just a heads up mate, im from UK but still getting video dont exist message via link...

Just done a quick search, dont know if any of you guys will have more joy with this link. Its working for me.

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 11/8/15 by HumanPLC because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: HumanPLC The BBC won't allow anyone with an IP address outside of GB to watch their programs.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine
a reply to: HumanPLC The BBC won't allow anyone with an IP address outside of GB to watch their programs.

Get a VPN

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk
This may not be available to people outside of the UK without using a proxy, for that, I apologise.
I never could get a proxy to work, but I was finally able to find it on a file host. I remember someone uploaded another of Al-Khalili's videos to youtube (on the history of electricity) and it didn't stay up long there. I guess BBC doesn't like that, though I'm not sure why. It's not like they have to pay for the bandwidth for youtube to host it.

Nothing too shocking except the way waste was handled so cavalierly for decades in open storage pools, but I don't think that was just in the UK I think it was in all nations doing nuclear research...Russia was probably worse.

The interesting part to me was Al-Khalili's suggestion at the end of making the lethal nuclear waste leftover from processing less lethal by bombarding it with neutrons to break the atoms into smaller less dangerous atoms that don't have half-lives of over 100,000 years. I would imagine the reason hat's not done is because of cost. That takes lots of energy and time and expense for additional processing and makes nuclear power more and more expensive and less cost competitive compared to other sources of power, but if that's the real cost to dispose of the waste safely, then so be it, we should make the waste safer and let the resulting economic decisions fall where they may.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   
The programme is being repeated at 10.00 pm tonight (Thursday 13th Aug) on BBC4 (in the UK) and is described thus: ...Inside Sellafield. Nuclear physicist Jim Al-Khalili uncovers the story of Sellafield. He encounters some of the most dangerous substances on Earth and tries to split the atom.
edit on 13-8-2015 by lacrimoniousfinale because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join