It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hero SAS sniper saves father and eight-year-old son from being beheaded by ISIS maniac

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: Kapusta

it depends on the sniper and his confidence, if he thinks he can do it he shoots where he is comfortable.

plus in certain situations they aim at the head. i know police are trained to take head shots and i would imagine SF train to do the same.

In a high-risk or instant-death hostage situation, police snipers may take head shots to ensure an instant kill. The snipers aim for the "apricot", or the medulla oblongata, located inside the head, a part of the brain that controls involuntary movement that lies at the base of the skull. Some ballistics and neurological researchers have argued that severing the spinal cord at an area near the second cervical vertebra is actually achieved,[citation needed] usually having the same effect of preventing voluntary motor activity, but the debate on the matter remains largely academic at present. With moving targets it is necessary to lead the target to compensate for movement during the flight of the projectile.
Sniper

hardly think a LEO is going to take a 1000 yard head shot , to risky

With a 50 cal to boot

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

a reply to: ken10

are you nuts, what do you think a sniper looks thru to see where and who his target is. sure it's not a wide view. but you can see enough to discern what is happening.

plus they where told by a informant as to the planned executions.

snipers just don't shoot willy nilly.

Right and I doubt a sniper would take a head shot at 1000 yards , Its not like basket ball where you aim to hit nothing but net , on the contrary that far away under the circumstance a body shot would be more likely . Wider target better chance to hit .

Not to mention in the desert where there is clearly wind.....I don't know here....

Remember the American special forces that took out the pirates off the coast ? I forgot exactly how the saying goes but something like this. "From the fantail of a moving ship in choppy waters at midnight on a moonless night..." All of those were headshots.
edit on 10-8-2015 by Gothmog because: spell

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

likely not a head shot , that would be to risky ...body shot would be more in order... and exactly 1000 meters ..hmm

For police or whatever , yes. For Special Forces , no.

so the rest of the team were able to hit their marks at 1000 meters as well ?

Uhhh.....yes. Read up on Special Forces snipers. One , I think Australian , took out 2 at that range with one shot .

Text A .50 cal with a silencer?

Not precisely a silencer , a flash suppressor. Dont want the marks seeing the flash . And 50s are the going thing right now. Lots of range and knock down power.

lol , what happened to one shot one kill ?

Thats exactly what it was

Ever heard of Carlos Hathcock ?

the news link says it was a .50 with a silencer .

The SAS marksman, using a .50 calibre sniper rifle fitted with a silencer, killed the executioner just in time.

So all three members were carrying .50 cals ? and managed to all hit their mark under extreme pressure ,all three made their calculations ? where was the spotter ? so 3 snipers , 3 spotters ? 3 .50 cal ...silenced ? Sniper teams are most always in a pair.

sounds like a clip from a Steven seagull movie

edit on 06/17/2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

are you nuts, what do you think a sniper looks thru to see where and who his target is. sure it's not a wide view. but you can see enough to discern what is happening.

Right and I doubt a sniper would take a head shot at 1000 yards , Its not like basket ball where you aim to hit nothing but net , on the contrary that far away under the circumstance a body shot would be more likely . Wider target better chance to hit .

Not to mention in the desert where there is clearly wind.....I don't know here....

Remember the American special forces that took out the pirates off the coast ? I forgot exactly how the saying goes but something like this. "From the fantail of a moving ship in choppy waters at midnight on a moonless night..." All of those were headshots.

at 1000 yards ?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
More from the Andy McNab school of BS....who believes this crap. Probably the same people who still play with action man into their late 40's.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
In other news the Ministry of Plenty's forecast has estimated the output of boots for the quarter at one-hundred-and-forty-five million pairs.

Also, a newsflash has this moment arrived from the Malabar front. Our forces in South India have won a glorious victory. I am authorized to say that the action we are now reporting may well bring the war within measurable distance of its end.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder
In other news the Ministry of Plenty's forecast has estimated the output of boots for the quarter at one-hundred-and-forty-five million pairs.

Also, a newsflash has this moment arrived from the Malabar front. Our forces in South India have won a glorious victory. I am authorized to say that the action we are now reporting may well bring the war within measurable distance of its end.

stay on topic eh ? no need to derail the thread.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

at 1000 yards ?

Read up on it. After reading up on that one , and those factors , shots like the OP describes are a breeze. And as far as the silencer/flash suppressor , they are one and the same. The major factor of these is to suppress the muzzle flash which would give away a position faster than the shot.Remember , the round is moving a lot faster than the retort from the shot .Did you at least read up on Carlos Hathcock ? And this was the Vietnam error. Please read up on the subjects before you post . Makes for much more informed posts.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder

stay on topic eh ? no need to derail the thread.

I think you missed the point.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

No one is denying the shot !!!.....Its the sensationalist BS story that accompanies that shot that people are questioning.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ken10
a reply to: Gothmog

No one is denying the shot !!!.....Its the sensationalist BS story that accompanies that shot that people are questioning.

Whats sensationalist BS ? If you know anything about how special forces operate , they all are briefed before being sent out. They have spotters within range letting them know everything that is going on moment by moment.They train every day to make those type of shots. And I like the story. 3 terrorists , 3 shots (at what $1 a round) , 3 dead terrorists , a man and his son saved - priceless.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

great shootin! further down in the in the article it says that isis, hasn't returned. afraid of being reached out to and touched.

As my good friend used to put it...
"If I am after you ,dont run. You will only die tired"

R.I.P. B. "one shot, one kill"

edit on 10-8-2015 by Gothmog because: tribute

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

at 1000 yards ?

Read up on it. After reading up on that one , and those factors , shots like the OP describes are a breeze. And as far as the silencer/flash suppressor , they are one and the same. The major factor of these is to suppress the muzzle flash which would give away a position faster than the shot.Remember , the round is moving a lot faster than the retort from the shot .Did you at least read up on Carlos Hathcock ? And this was the Vietnam error. Please read up on the subjects before you post . Makes for much more informed posts.

no a silencer is a silencer , flash suppressor is not a silencer , the .50 cal most likely had a Muzzle break on it not a flash suppressor as you say . None of these are in common with a silencer . a flash suppressor does not silence the shot .

the link says it was a 50 cal equipped with a silencer. you do know that a silencer will throw off a shot and slow a bullet down . I can't Imagine why the SAS would use a .50cal silenced . That set up is just so far away from anything i have ever read about special forces snipers .

No need to read up , You are just trying to add to the sensation , I get that you want a heroic story ,but I am a realist and I can't except the story .

Sorry I have learned that its common practice for MSM to spin things. you can choose to tread through the hogwash.

yeah 3 1000 yard shots , by 3 differing people , silenced 50cal head shot at 1000 yard ... all within seconds of each other , not sure if i can hang with the reality of that .

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Over an effing 1,000 yards???? Good for them if that's true...

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Surprised the "have you ever been in the army" Or "have you ever fired a 50 cal before" hasn't come yet....

This is not true, not a chance! A couple hundred yards fine....This precision doesn't happen in the freaking desert with a silenced weapon like this...One person, fine....3 shots 3 headshots?? Come on...

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
SAS Best in the world, no doubt about that.

Kudos to the sniper.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

What in the world do you think a muzzle break is ? It suppresses the gas from the chamber to cut down on recoil and rise.Also , it is to adapt for a flash suppressor. I grow tired of this.

"Some folks , if they dont know , you cant tell them." Louis Armstrong

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Surprised the "have you ever been in the army" Or "have you ever fired a 50 cal before" hasn't come yet....

This is not true, not a chance! A couple hundred yards fine....This precision doesn't happen in the freaking desert with a silenced weapon like this...One person, fine....3 shots 3 headshots?? Come on...

exactly , these people are failing to realize the elements at hand here. taking 1000 yard shot is not like some walk in the park , not to mention the target would have to be stationary , if some jack butt ISIS is waving a knife around talking about cutting a head off , his head was moving around . Thus a body shot should be in order . etc etc etc etc , so many things wrong with this picture ......

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Over an effing 1,000 yards???? Good for them if that's true...

It was not close to a 1000 yards . But if 3 snipers can take out 3 pirates each with head shots , under those conditions , as I said a 1000 yard shot is a piece of cake.The 1000 yard shot is not unique at all. In fact it is becoming the preferred range.There are numerous records from the Iraqi war that reach 1700 yards. And , yes , the weapons used are custom and can take out targets at longer ranges than that.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

.50 cal unsuppressed, suppressed and sub sonic round.

edit on 10-8-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join