It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hero SAS sniper saves father and eight-year-old son from being beheaded by ISIS maniac

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Just to point out not the longest.

en.wikipedia.org...(sniper)

Blimey I bet I couldn't hit at 100 yards.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Well well, you got us there but I can out drink you anyday and impress women with my cowboy antics :p

Good shot, good kill, Gods speed

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ken10

and here is a short article on shooting from a 1000 yards

Snipers practice at 1,000 yards because the farther away from which you can shoot someone who’s shooting back, the better. Serious competitors go long for tangible proof of their skill on the loading bench and on the firing line. I shoot at a grand because it’s fun and impresses my friends. “See that steel target over there? No, not that hillside, the next hillside over. Yeah, that tiny target. Well, I’m going to hit it from here.”

and here is what this guys uses

You can’t hit what you can’t see, so your scope is a critical piece of equipment. Good glass will cost you, and it is worth every penny. Magnification is your friend. I like a high end of 20X or 25X, even though mirage can be a problem. You’ll need target turrets and side parallax focus. The turrets allow for precise adjustments to account for wind and elevation, and the side focus puts the reticle and target on the same focal plane for better aiming. Don’t skimp on the mounts, since holding the scope on the rifle is a pretty important job; really good ones include those made by Badger Ordnance, Seekins, and LaRue.

How to Make a 1,000-Yard Shot

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Oh, I don't dispute a thousand meter kill shot !....Its the propaganda story that accompanies the shot.
No way could a sniper or his spotter discern that whole story from a kilometre away.

That was the point of my post.
edit on 10-8-2015 by ken10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Oh wait til I visit the USA I ran pubs and can drink all day long
My accent...they swoon.
Like you said dude we can just say a job well done a child and his dad will be able to continue to love each other because of a good shot which needed to be done.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: SubTruth

Alright I'm fine with acknowledging western meddling and such, and having a serious conversation about a solution. But can't we just celebrate a good shot saving some poor folks from getting their heads cut off in a random desert? # man sometimes a good kill is just a good kill and not some sinister plot to take over the world.

Look I will never celebrate death.......It is not in my makeup. That being said ya this soldier did his job and duty. I have no issues with soldiers but when you start celebrating killing and war I am not down with that.

And Ya I know these are scum bag religious but jobs.
edit on 10-8-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

furlong was the first name that came to mind to illustrate my point.
i knew his record had been beaten, just couldn't remember the guys name.

edit on 10-8-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

How exactly are you privy to what special forces in the field can and cannot discern? Have we really got to the point where nothing good can happen by the hands of the west? Is that where we are? In reality when a old lady falls down was I the one who tripped her or helped her out? How cynical are we?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

In awe at the weaponry also used scary awe but nice engineering even If is a gun and I'm British and whatnot.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

are you nuts, what do you think a sniper looks thru to see where and who his target is. sure it's not a wide view. but you can see enough to discern what is happening.

plus they where told by a informant as to the planned executions.

snipers just don't shoot willy nilly.
edit on 10-8-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

are you nuts, what do you think a sniper looks thru to see where and who his target is. sure it's not a wide view. but you can see enough to discern what is happening.

Right and I doubt a sniper would take a head shot at 1000 yards , Its not like basket ball where you aim to hit nothing but net , on the contrary that far away under the circumstance a body shot would be more likely . Wider target better chance to hit .

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ken10

ISIS militants had decreed that the little boy and his father must die after branding them "infidels" because they refused to denounce their faith. They were just seconds from death when the hero sniper intervened to stop the barbaric killing in the Syrian desert.

And the sniper knew all this from a thousand meters away ?

Carlos Hathcock made a 2200 meter shot with a .50 cal.

In 1967.

Optics have advanced juuuuuust a smidge in the last 50 years, believe it or not.
edit on 10-8-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

ISIS militants had decreed that the little boy and his father must die after branding them "infidels" because they refused to denounce their faith. They were just seconds from death when the hero sniper intervened to stop the barbaric killing in the Syrian desert.

In 1967.

Optics have advanced juuuuuust a smidge in the last 50 years, believe it or not.

Have you read the story about that shot ? and everything it took to make that shot ?

He didn't take that shot in one night , it took awhile , at one point he had to defecate all over him self .

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta

In 1967.

Have you read the story about that shot ? and everything it took to make that shot ?

He didn't take that shot in one night , it took awhile , at one point he had to defecate all over him self .

False. He made the 2200 meter shot from an M2 .50 mounted on a tripod in an MG emplacement. He killed a gun mule.

The story you're referring to is when he killed an NVA general and spent nearly a week on his belly to get within what he considered to be an acceptable distance. Which was estimated at 700 yards. A distance that is still nothing to sneeze at.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

it depends on the sniper and his confidence, if he thinks he can do it he shoots where he is comfortable.

plus in certain situations they aim at the head. i know police are trained to take head shots and i would imagine SF train to do the same.

In a high-risk or instant-death hostage situation, police snipers may take head shots to ensure an instant kill. The snipers aim for the "apricot", or the medulla oblongata, located inside the head, a part of the brain that controls involuntary movement that lies at the base of the skull. Some ballistics and neurological researchers have argued that severing the spinal cord at an area near the second cervical vertebra is actually achieved,[citation needed] usually having the same effect of preventing voluntary motor activity, but the debate on the matter remains largely academic at present. With moving targets it is necessary to lead the target to compensate for movement during the flight of the projectile.
Sniper

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Yeah and seconds from dying....Only had time to fire 3 effing shots from that distance is at least 6 seconds to target! This has sensationalist written ALL OVER IT!! I mean good for them if true but there is something fishy here...

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

likely not a head shot , that would be to risky ...body shot would be more in order... and exactly 1000 meters ..hmm

For police or whatever , yes. For Special Forces , no.

so the rest of the team were able to hit their marks at 1000 meters as well ?

Uhhh.....yes. Read up on Special Forces snipers. One , I think Australian , took out 2 at that range with one shot .

Text A .50 cal with a silencer?

Not precisely a silencer , a flash suppressor. Dont want the marks seeing the flash . And 50s are the going thing right now. Lots of range and knock down power.

lol , what happened to one shot one kill ?

Thats exactly what it was

Ever heard of Carlos Hathcock ?

edit on 10-8-2015 by Gothmog because: to add

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Right and I doubt a sniper would take a head shot at 1000 yards , Its not like basket ball where you aim to hit nothing but net , on the contrary that far away under the circumstance a body shot would be more likely . Wider target better chance to hit .

Not to mention in the desert where there is clearly wind.....I don't know here....

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

In 1967.

False. He made the 2200 meter shot from an M2 .50 mounted on a tripod in an MG emplacement. He killed a gun mule.

The story you're referring to is when he killed an NVA general and spent nearly a week on his belly to get within what he considered to be an acceptable distance. Which was estimated at 700 yards. A distance that is still nothing to sneeze at.

Yes you are correct I have seemed to have mixed up the story's . its been a while .

One has to ask was he under extreme pressure to take such a shot ? . I mean if you have seconds to set up a 1000 yard shot . then the rest of your team take out two others right after a 1000 yards ... without missing marks , thats impressive I would say it belongs in the history books .

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

it depends on the sniper and his confidence, if he thinks he can do it he shoots where he is comfortable.

plus in certain situations they aim at the head. i know police are trained to take head shots and i would imagine SF train to do the same.

In a high-risk or instant-death hostage situation, police snipers may take head shots to ensure an instant kill. The snipers aim for the "apricot", or the medulla oblongata, located inside the head, a part of the brain that controls involuntary movement that lies at the base of the skull. Some ballistics and neurological researchers have argued that severing the spinal cord at an area near the second cervical vertebra is actually achieved,[citation needed] usually having the same effect of preventing voluntary motor activity, but the debate on the matter remains largely academic at present. With moving targets it is necessary to lead the target to compensate for movement during the flight of the projectile.
Sniper

hardly think a LEO is going to take a 1000 yard head shot , to risky

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join