It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Funny isn't it how some words have different meanings depending on where you live.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I just had a little PM to my pal Kali74 and said they are crackers and as I sent it I thought OMG Kali will think it means something else so I quickly sent another mail explaining that crackers means crazy or bonkers in the UK I think it is a northern saying more.
Another word that will mean something else in is fanny.. here in the UK it means a vagina but in the states it means ones bottom lol.
When I first heard someone asking for a fannypack I did a double take lol, I would love to know how those got mixed up along the way lol.
Anyhow any other words any one knows that means different things?.
I find the evolution of language fascinating.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

We have this thread at least once a year but it's always informative.

Fag = Cigarette
Tab or Tabby = Cigarette
Juice a.k.a Fizzy Juice = Soda Pop

Don't get me started on Scottish words though as that's a totally different subject altogether.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

I note that pissed means angry in the US but means drunk in the UK.
Pissed off means angry for Brits.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

no doubt. check this out:

BTW, my wife used to work for the dick doctor (urologist), he was from the UK and called them "fanny McTushs' ".

And as an american, I am not sure what "taking the piss" is really all about.
edit on 10-8-2015 by network dude because: augustusmasonicus drinks skunky beer, and takes the piss at times.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

And there you are

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Sometimes it's not just words. My Cousin, who spent most of his youth in Spain, moved to America and was bad about pointing at people and things using his middle finger.

We had to educate him quickly to not do that so he didn't learn the hard way.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

crackers that's a new one, but it's less confusing than biscuits..

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I think it's funny the mishaps that can happen because of the same words meaning different things between all the English speaking countries.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

OMG I laughed hard at that.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

We also put cheese on crackers. I think it comes from that sort of broken up crackers = bonkers.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
This is a phrase...
Someone asks you to do something for them and the reply is "I wouldn't care to do that".
Some people know that means yes, I will do it for you...others are very confused. Not sure if it is just a Tennessee thing or not...

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

That would confuse me in north cackalacky..

haha.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Chips! I got some funny remarks when I mentioned to some US gamers that I was having fish and chips for dinner. They also seem to find it odd when I refer to them as 'mate'.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

from exit 6 on i-65 just a few miles up the road......... this always confused me.... i know it means "yes" here.... but when you break the words down....... it literally says "i do not want to" lololol..

i just go by what their demeanor says, in other ways. but yes i remember pondering this as a small child.

what about.... i reckon.....

any of you on the island care to teach me some right smart cockney?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
What about pants? I can't go out in me pants. Why? The birds. Can't pull a fit bird in just me pants. No?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

This only pertains to English words used in other English speaking countries. Many cultures that speak the same language adopt their own meaning, but is related to specific languages. There would be few instances of this occurring with different languages I would suspect.

However, as it pertains to British and American, here is a list of many words that have different meanings:

en.wikipedia.org...:_A–L
en.wikipedia.org...:_M–Z

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
My 7 year old makes lots of mistakes. She gets through a lot of rubbers.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
And as an american, I am not sure what "taking the piss" is really all about.

In polite society, that is "extracting the urine".
Roughly speaking, being facetious at somebody else's expense.
As my neighbour said to me when he wanted me to cut down my hedge, and I had some fresh shrubs delivered; "Are you taking the piss?"
edit on 10-8-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail
My 7 year old makes lots of mistakes. She gets through a lot of rubbers.

That comment has sent me looking for one of the Hale and Pace "Billy and Johnny" sketches.
The one that ends;
"Is that a rubber, Johnny?"
"No, THIS is a 'rubber Johnny' ".
I will insert if I can find it.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

In South Africa I had a friend coming from a place called Rustenburg. He used to call the ladies “Kwaggas” (basically a type of Zebra) meaning nothing ugly. Let go hunt some “Kwaggas” tonight: means let’s go to a place where we can meat girls.
However we also had a service station group for petrol called “Trek” which means “Pull” using the “Kwagga” as its logo.
And then it happened - a television ad came up “Pull in at the “Kwagga” and fill up with pride”

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join