It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! Windows 10 upgrade has broken my laptop.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: chelsealad

No issues with installing on my laptop....everything works....took about an hr.

I did post a thread about a little slower startup time...but that's been resolved.

I did not have to log in after install...nor since.

I did upload VLC for videos.

No issues...getting quite used to things.....

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

The issue is not with the mouse. It's the touch pad and the keyboard.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I only got windows 10 for the Xbox app that allows you to play the Xbox on PC, Laptop etc as long as it's connected to the same network. Might just buy another TV...seems less hassle. Dam you Microsoft

Thanks for the advice though. I will try a couple of the fixes and see how that goes.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I have windows 8.1 and have no problems whatsoever. I don't know if I should risk getting 10.

(post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
I have windows 8.1 and have no problems whatsoever. I don't know if I should risk getting 10.

Seems the Gods smile on you , I had win 8.1, it got so bad i installed linux. It might be wise to wait a wile before installing win 10

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

At a guess I would say It's somehow defaulted to touch screen mode.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Try calling Microsoft and see if their tech support will help you....

Windows 10 is not really free: you are paying for it with your privacy

On a side note, please read the link above... Something you should know before you agree to install the upgrade. I loaded the upgrade on one laptop just so I can check it out for intel purposes. I loaded it to a computer that was running Windows 7. I did have some errors which I have yet to troubleshoot, but the system is working. (i.e. I can move mouse, keyboard, open internet, etc...)

Chris Capossela, Microsoft’s Chief Marketing Officer, has declared that Microsoft’s strategy is to “acquire, engage, enlist and monetize”.

It's not so much what they try to sell YOU (which is annoying enough), but rather who they are selling your data TO... Also, their privacy terms specifically state they will give your information to Big Brother.
edit on 10-8-2015 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Might have to do a rollback to Win 7, then try again. Do you have a recovery partition? A similar thing happened to me few months ago after a Windows update was stuck in a perpetual loop and nothing I did would make the laptop come back on. In the end I had to do a system restore, but it took forever to get that option up on the screen, and there didn't seem to be any logic as to how I got it on the screen!

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Perhaps you've read that Microsoft has also ended all support for win xp? Telling people to not upgrade from windows xp is dumb advice.

If it is Windows XP 32 bit , it is not "dumb advice". Windows 7 32 bit or Windows 8 32 bit , just limps along.And you cant "upgrade" Win XP to any of the 3 new OSes

And , for the OP , you didnt happen to go from Windows 7 32bit to Windows 10 , did you ?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I researched Windows 10 and it's the worst of them all! Search it and you'll see the horror! Bugs, window crashes with no fix, updates any and everything without your approval including 3rd party stuff, also they are using some as guinea pigs and you have to agree with it or they will shut you down. The list goes on and on. Just do some research and you'll see. I read most of this on Forbes.
edit on 10-8-2015 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
A guy in my building had a laptop and win 10 totally messed it up.
He ended up reverting back to Win 7.1 until they fix whatever issues he was having. Drivers I think.

Win 10 runs smoothly on my comp, but it is a desk top.
I like it.

Only issue I have is that it will not run simcity 4 from the cd.
Other than that, 0 problems and I really do like the new operating system.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Hi chelsealad, sorry I didn't have time to go over everything and see if anyone had already made this suggestion. Although, when I completed my upgrade I noticed I had a few problems with my monitor, my graphics card, etc etc. The problem was that while everything crossed over, my drivers were missing or were not updated. In a sense, I had to reinstall all drivers affected.

I hope this information helps.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ChristinaLM

Thanks. It did help. I had to reinstall everything too. I managed to get the laptop in safe mode and went from there.
Thanks again everyone!

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Great news! Well done.

Now you can go into your privacy settings and turn off all the MS stuff you don't need

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Perhaps you've read that Microsoft has also ended all support for win xp? Telling people to not upgrade from windows xp is dumb advice.

If it is Windows XP 32 bit , it is not "dumb advice". Windows 7 32 bit or Windows 8 32 bit , just limps along.And you cant "upgrade" Win XP to any of the 3 new OSes

All windows xp computers are 32 bit.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Gothmog

All windows xp computers are 32 bit.

No , they are not . Microsoft published a 64 bit version as well. It was not popular as there were nowhere near as many 64 bit systems as there were 32 bit.
edit on 11-8-2015 by Gothmog because: tidy up

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

You're not the only one.

Seems like the trackpad on most laptops have issues.

I got mine semi working by removing the trackpad in the device manager and letting it reinstall again.

it still has some issues.

we have to wait for the drivers to be fixed from the track pad manufacturers. not from microsoft.

My wife's track pad and volume stopped working, i got the track pad up and running but not her volume..weird....

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The issues put forward so far are mostly driver related. The drivers for Windows are provided to Microsoft by the device manufacturer. The device manufacturers are responsible for the issues listed .
If you look through device manager , you can see the device name. If you see unknown devices , that is most likely the issue. The device manufacturer did not provide the needed drivers. That is the reason many devices stop responding at the install of any OS.
You can take the device name and google . ONLY go to websites that have the manufacturer name in the url. Download and install for Windows 10.

In the case of unknown devices , a little more involved. Right-click on the unknown. Choose properties then you can find the device vendor and device ID . Google this. There may be more than one , so be careful

Otherwise , take to a computer professional (or your local geek) and see if they will slipstream the drivers into the install media (they should know what slipstream is)(or just perform the steps above)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join