It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! I want to move my iPhoto library (with folders) to external HD.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Ok I have an external HD and I can't figure out how to move my iPhoto library as is with the folders I have. I have all my photos categorized in folders. I can go in each folder and select all the pics and move them but it doesn't put them in folders.

I use Mavericks OS X. I partitioned the HD like it said, yes I did that myself
never done that before and it wasn't without yelling and cursing lol.

Are you not able to move iPhoto with albums to an external HD? I have a 1TB HD and about 16,000 photos. I have to sell my iMac
so I want to keep my photos and I'm having a hard time figuring it out. I googled it and the steps make no sense. I did what it said but it doesnt' show on the external HD.

***this is NOT a PC vs MAC debate!

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

I just click and highlight all folders...and cut and past them into the external drive. BAM! They are there exactly as they were elsewhere. I do this periodlcally as well to everything.

Highlight-drag em then drop em into the new location.

It may take awhile depend on how much and how many you have. Buy they go over in full folders or separately, the exact same way.

*PS-I have over 12,000 photos, 5,000 songs, 1,000 videos-movies, hundreds and hundreds of folders...all moved the exact same way. No issues. Ever.
edit on 9-8-2015 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

I just click and highlight all folders...and cut and past them into the external drive. BAM! They are there exactly as they were elsewhere. I do this periodlcally as well to everything.

It may take awhile depend on how much and how many you have. Buy they go over in full folders or separately, the exact same way.

*PS-I have over 12,000 photos, 5,000 songs, 1,000 videos-movies, hundreds and hundreds of folders...all moved the exact same way. No issues. Ever.

I've highlighted them and tried that and when I go to drag it to the new location it won't let me. A circle with a slash appears and it won't do it.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

I've highlighted them and tried that and when I go to drag it to the new location it won't let me. A circle with a slash appears and it won't do it.

Hey,

I actually work for AppleCare. Here is some help:

Move iPhoto Library

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Highlight them...rt click COPY...and then rt click them into new location by hitting PASTE?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JameSimon

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

Hey,

I actually work for AppleCare. Here is some help:

Move iPhoto Library

Ok but it is telling me to use Time Machine. I don't want to use that since I"m selling the computer. I just want to keep my photos and the folders as they are.

It says to use an external HD which is what I'm trying to do.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
AHHHH! I thought I had it and it said it was moving the iPhoto library and it would take a day then it stopped and said this with a pop up.

"The operation can’t be completed because an item is being modified."

AHHHH this shouldn't be that hard! I love Apple but this is driving me mad!

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
ive never used a mac so i doubt i'll be helpfull, but cant you just 'drag n drop' them? or burn them to a cd then move them, if theyre a big deal you should hve copys anyway.
and my main question, why on earth have you got sixteen thousnd photos?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku
ive never used a mac so i doubt i'll be helpfull, but cant you just 'drag n drop' them? or burn them to a cd then move them, if theyre a big deal you should hve copys anyway.
and my main question, why on earth have you got sixteen thousnd photos?

No you can't do any of that. It's not a PC. I don't have a DISC DRIVE (I opted out, never needed it and I wouldn't put that many pics on a disc) and I have 16,000 pics because they are from the last 8 years! About 4000 of them are from when I went to Italy. I'm making a photo book SLOWLY out of my pics from Italy lol.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Try this. I just tried it, and moved a folder to my desktop (my EHD is in another room, but it should work. If not, move it from desktop to EHD).

Go to your main (default) pictures folder on your computer. Right click on iPhoto library (it's an application, not a folder). Click show package contents. Go down to "originals" and click. That should show you all the folders in iPhoto that contain all the pictures. You should be able to drag and drop them from there. I just did.

What version on iPhoto?

Did you format your EHD with your mac?

**Remember, if you for some reason have your ext hard drive formatted to FAT32 (not sure why you would, but who knows) you cannot transfer any file over 4GB.
edit on 10-8-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Dude, this is one of the easiest things. Just follow this:

1. Open "Finder"
2. Click "Go" on the top of the screen
3. Select "Home"
4. ctrl + click on the "Pictures" folder and select "copy"
5. Paste the folder on the external HD

Make sure you CLOSE iPhoto / Photos before doing this as having them open prevents the process. To ensure that they are closed, go to "" on the top left of the screen and open "force quit applications".

top topics

join