It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i am very stupid cause i just dont get the 'heat index'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
to a point i suppose i do.
just a strange concept for me.

"it is 95 degrees today but with the heat index it feels like 137"

hmmmmmmm. personally, if im feeling 137, then it is 137. no other way about it.

same deal in the winter with the 'wind chill'

"it is 25 degrees today but with the wind chill it feels like 5 below"

again, if it feels 5 below, then it is 5 below.

stupid? maybe
i just dont get it.

i mean if i feel something then that is what it is

anyone else dumb like me?
probably not. im the only one

carry on

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

Humidity in the summer can make it feel warmer than what the actual air temperature is. A dry heat is much cooler than a humid heat. So, a dry 95-degrees (with low humidity) will feel much "cooler" than a humid 95-degrees (with high humidity).

And just as wind (from a fan) can cool your skin and make you feel cooler in the summer when you're hot, the wind makes your skin feel colder than the actual temperature in the winter. Thus the wind chill effect.

So yes, even though the air temperature can be one thing, high humidity and wind chill make the human body feel much warmer or colder than the actual air temperature.

It's also called the "Feels Like" temperature because of how the human body can perceive temperature with high humidity or wind chill. Either way, how the human body feels temperature is different than the actual air temperature when humidity and wind chill is taken into account.

edit on 9-8-2015 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MuglyThat's not dumb, they just have to go by the thermometer. If you feel the heat index or the wind chill, it is reality.

One thing that is important...the pipes in your basement don't feel wind chill, and when the thermometer temp falls below freezing, there should be a heat source in your basement or somewhat below that temp if they are well insulated.

It is more important for people who work outside, children who walk to school, how easily your car may start.

But I see what you're saying.

Lol, I jumped right on the cold weather being from where I am. But, I just got back from the store, I rode a bike. I just looked at the local news website. It says 80 degrees F. It doesn't mention a heat index, it felt hotter than 80 but the humidity is only 39%. I think it is more humid than that. Oh well.

edit on 9-8-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

More humidity means you cant sweat, cant sweat cant cool your body, you feel hotter than it actually is

edit on 9-8-2015 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

"it is 95 degrees today but with the heat index it feels like 137"

Thats a pretty wide spread. I know, you;'re kidding.

On a 95 degree day, lay down on asphalt in the sun…

search

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent
Yes, it's not quite that bad yet. I'm sweating.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
bonez.
thanks for the explanation.
i do understand i guess i just cant process it like every other human.

like that # in iran or whatever. there is some sort of heat dome over them. it is like 98 but feels like 125 or something.
so i say again, if i am in an environment where it 'feels like' 125 to me, then it 'is' 125 to me

intrptr, yeah, i just tossed numbers out there

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Your body has the means to cool itself through sweat. Sweat evaporates and the result cools you off. When the atmosphere is drier, this evaporation process is much more efficient and you can maintain your inner body temp much more efficiently through sweat. But, when the atmosphere is already full of moisture through high humidity, the sweat simply sits on your skin instead of evaporating, and it interferes with your body's ability to regulate its temperature.

That's why heat index is important to note. A heat index of 137 simply means you are going to experience the same effects on your body as if the outer air temp actually were 137 degrees.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Wind chill never made sense to me, since it's allegedly the effect of the wind on bare skin. Who goes out in winter naked? Besides I've always thought the whole thing was a crock. Do some investigation into the history of wind chill data, and you'll see what I mean. I could slap some links here, but that would take the fun out of the discovery for everyone.

Press on.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright
. Who goes out in winter naked?

wait?

im the only one?
that is like the best way ever to make snow angels

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

I agree, but there are certain materials that let wind through a lot easier than others. I suppose if I know the day is going to be windier out, I wear a different set of outer wear than I might otherwise.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
i
edit on 9-8-2015 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku
i

^^i totally agree

ketsuko, nothing blocks the cold ass wind like my leather jacket.
im sure some arctic gear does the job better but thats what i have

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Just another way for the MSM to ramp things up like wind chill, I wish they would ditch both, and the hype.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Many people go outside without a hat on. Without gloves on. When the wind chill gets to extreme levels, skin will get frostbite or even freeze in a matter of minutes.

Wind chill advisories and warnings inform people that it's really cold outside and to cover exposed skin like the hands, ears, face, etc.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Do you really need a heat index or a wind chill to know it is either hot as hell or cold as heck, I don't. I am going to stick my head outside and immediately know one or the other.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly
bonez.
thanks for the explanation.
i do understand i guess i just cant process it like every other human.

like that # in iran or whatever. there is some sort of heat dome over them. it is like 98 but feels like 125 or something.
so i say again, if i am in an environment where it 'feels like' 125 to me, then it 'is' 125 to me

intrptr, yeah, i just tossed numbers out there

Where your thinking falls down is that lets say hypothetically the heat index was 100 deg C ...YOU might feel like it was 100 deg C but that doesnt mean tyhat water would boil.

new topics

top topics

join