It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe is one country!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

We call gas for the ovens gas. I know, not very original but you can't have everything.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

We call them underwear. Sometimes they're called boxers or briefs. Some more creative, or vulgar, people call them nut huts.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I asked my workpals before what they call their undergarments and not one even the ones from Manchester called them knickers....they all laughed.
All this time I have been wearing ladies underwear...

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

At least you don't wear a bra. There's that.
I call my underwear "Jimmy". I'm just kidding. Or am I?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I only like the parts of Europe where they speak American.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Who cares, there is only one 'English', it is found in the UK.
All others are exported and bastardised versions which require a prefix such as American.

I'm English! (Feel I need to make that clear before i go on)

unfortunately, in a lot of cases its our yank cousins who have it correct with a lot of english words...(Let me clarify before you shoot me down)

The english language, in the mouths of the english is like putty. Over the years we have changed our language as we have adopted (conquered
) other countries mannerisms and custom. we absorb, alter, assimilate! And also, sometimes we just cant make our minds up.

Now, I havnt done exhaustive research (any at all really) but what little I have done has shown that in many (a few) cases that I have questioned the pronunciation of americanisms of the english language, it turns out that their pronunciation was actually correct at the incepttion of the word, or at the point that they split from the UK.

And much as it pains me, originally, it was called alluminum!

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
i think you'll find that the correct expression is "couldnt care less"

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: idmonster
i think you'll find that the correct expression is "couldnt care less"

That's unrelevant.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

I call my underwear "Jimmy".

Is that "See Through, Jimmy"

If you get the joke you can be an honorary Scot

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: berenike

Haha I got that straight away

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Sorry, that went over my head. WHOOSH! There it goes.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

C.U. Jimmy was a Scots character created by an English comedian.

His catch phrase was 'See you, Jimmy'.

So my post was just a play on words. I was going to post an image, but something went wrong

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
a reply to: grainofsand

We call them underwear. Sometimes they're called boxers or briefs. Some more creative, or vulgar, people call them nut huts.

I heard the term "budgie(sp) smugglers* once for men's underwear.

I found that highly amusing.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I'll look him up on youtube. I'm always up for a laugh.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

Is that budgie like parakeet? I've never heard that one before. I'll have to remember that.

Your avatar made me laugh, by the way. That's cool.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Of course it is we invented it.
It's called English
Battle commence lol
This thread could turn into a colourful thread lol...see what I did?.

That is not exactly correct - some of the American English spoken is more like the old English from the 1700s in England - for example 'fall' for autumn was an old term used in English - no longer in common parlance. Even the American spellings are apparently correct from the 1800s

Also Tristan da Cunha residents fascinated the Linguists when they came to Live in England in the 1960s due to their island becoming dangerous with erupting volcanoes - apparently they spoke the same type of English with similar accents and terminology to the 17c or 18 century English sailors who they were descended from.

So English spoken by the English is pretty bastardised - plus read Chaucer and you can see how English has changed in 500 years EG: "Hir hosen weren of fyn scarlet reed"
edit on 10-8-2015 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
You've got Western Europe where all the guys have a dueling scar and wear a monocle and the women have big overbites and bony, hairy legs. Then you have Eastern Europe where everyone eats cabbage and potatoes and spends the rest of their time hiding from Frankenstein and Dracula.

#amirite?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

You've got Western Europe where all the guys have a dueling scar and wear a monocle and the women have big overbites and bony, hairy legs.

That reminds me of the movie National Lampoons European Vacation. It's that scene where he gets in bed and thinks his wife is next to him.
"Are you wearing leg warmers?"
"No."
Thanks for the laugh.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Oh come on you forgot that Quebec is part of Canada...hmmm

LOL...trying to get me in trouble with the Bloc Quebecois crowd, EH?!

My lovely poutine eating famille are more European in a sense...oops,
(almost lumped everyone into one big Euro pile,) I mean they are related to France ONLY because of the dialect, great wine and exquisite cuisine, but that's about it, "Kay-beck" is unique and the Quebecers are very much CanadiEn in their own right with their own unique heritage and culture that stands apart from France. Go HABS!!!! Leafs suck!!!

edit on 10-8-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: iDope

The same laws for the most part exist in Canada as in the U.S. Canada was owned and ruled by the U.K. therefore explaining why street names are named after Queens. Canada for several decades has been suckiling off of the U.S. and which explains why they follow every military tactic the U.S. takes. How many U.S. Corporations are in Canada and how many Canadian corporations are in the U.S.? Canada answers to the U.S. before anyone else, even before themself. Canada is a worth as much as their natural resources produce. Many of the corporations that farm the resources of Canada are American subsidiaries.

From a geopolitical perspective; you are correct. From a cultural perspective; we are polar opposites; and you are incorrect. I personally do not care about how government interacts with government; has nothing to do with me on a day to day basis and I find such talking points trivial, to say the least.

Also, only 30% of Americans have a valid passport, and even those who do, only about 10% actually use it - therefore, most Americans will sadly live and die without ever seeing this beautiful blue pearl with their own eyes, and some will ignorantly rely on external information to allow them to seek some form of comfort (misery loves company) despite the huge difference in enculturation.

So how do you think Canada is much different? It won;t be too long until it is all one and the same.

The list is too long to mention, but I will keep it short using Toronto with a population of 2.6 million people with that of Chicago (please note the similarity in population) that has a population of 2.7 million:

The total number of homicides in Toronto for the year 2014 was: 26

The total number of homicides in Chicago for the year 2014 was: 459

www.torontopolice.on.ca...

*Btw, out of the many sites, I chose this one because I found the name poetic:

heyjackass.com...

Come visit us, my friend, it may it look the same on the surface, but deep down it is not...

edit on 11-8-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join