It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

#AllLivesMatter

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

*sigh*

As someone who grew up poor, do you really think that system doesn't hit poor whites too?

The main difference is that my parents ... yes, I guess it was my white privilege to have had both of them ... did everything they could to work, work, work to pay it off.

They didn't sit around blaming everyone else.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

I thought Marc Lamont Hill summed it up pretty well on an appearance on CNN Newsroom with Poppy Harlow, July 19th:

Well, outside of context, saying, "All lives matter," is reasonable, right? All lives do matter. The Black Lives Matter movement has never been about denying the legitimacy of other people's suffering. It's never been about saying all lives don't matter or that black lives are superior to other lives. The point is that there's a crisis going on. There is a crisis in the black community of state violence. There's a crisis of extra-judicial violence against black bodies. There's a crisis of mass incarceration, of poverty.

l these things are happening and they're targeted, disproportionately targeted toward black people. And to develop a movement and say black people need support in this way, black people's lives need to be affirmed and confirmed and protected in this way, to make that movement, and then to have people say, "Hey, but what about white people?" to me is to avoid the point. It's almost as if saying we can't affirm the humanity of black people without also bringing in some white people, we can't talk about the value of black life unless we talk about something else.

If there are two houses on a hill, one is on fire, I'm not going to scream out, "All houses matter!" I'm going to put out the fire in the one that's on fire. Right now, there's a fire in the black community.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: BubbaJoe
This country hasn't valued all lives since it's inception, black's count for 3/5's, women counted not at all. There are still those in this country that want to return to those times, parts of my family have been here since 1621, and sometimes I just want to leave.

Sigh.

The 3/5th Compromise again. What are they teaching you kids in school these days? Newsflash, the 3/5 was not a statement that blacks were not full people, it was a means to prevent slave-owner states from gaining more representation in the young Congress and exerting more influence on the federal government. Sheesh, why do we have to keep explaining this? You do know that non-slave blacks counted fully towards Congressional representation, don't you? Did you know that non-black slaves counted as 3/5 towards representation? Did you know there were non-black slaves? Well if you didn't before, you do now.

As for women voters, another false narrative. Voter qualification was under the full purview of the States, not the federal government, up until the 19th Amendment... curiously ratified by male voters. Technically the States still have some power over qualifications, but gender/ethnicity/poll tax and some age limits are not among them.

Sigh, am actually 55 years old and a poly sci major. Your revisionist view of history is very interesting, I suppose you think this is a Christian nation. Gee imagine indentured servants, never knew those existed, my family has only be in North America since 1621, but you missed that part of the post. Women were not allowed to vote until the 19th, in most places, and therefore counted nothing in the formation of the United States.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Check my last post. I grew up poor too, with poor black people and poor hispanics and I saw my privilege work first hand. I never got in trouble for what my friends did even though I was doing the same things. Saw my black friends arrested for loitering on their own street corners and was told I shouldn't be hanging out in that neighborhood, my neighborhood.

Yeah all poor people get treated pretty badly. It doesn't compare to how black people are treated.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: nullafides

Here's the thing...put more eloquently and from a firmer seat of experience than I could ever speak from by Charles M. Blow in a NYTimes OpEd that may be the best I've read on the subject.

A Highly Recommended Read

It is my opinion that this country does not value all lives equally. Or if it does is doing a piss-poor job of showing it. And the longer we stay in denial of this and its root causes, found in abundance on all sides of these arguments, the longer it will fester and the more we all stand to lose.

Apparently you are correct. Your post prompted me to search for something I had no idea about previously. Is this info correct?

A 2007 special report released by the Bureau of Justice Statistics, reveals that approximately 8,000 — and, in certain years, as many as 9,000 African Americans are murdered annually in the United States. This chilling figure is accompanied by another equally sobering fact, that 93% of these murders are in fact perpetrated by other blacks. The analysis, supported by FBI records, finds that in 2005 alone, for example, African Americans accounted for 49% of all homicide victims in the US — again, almost exclusively at the hands of other African Americans.

www.theblaze.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: BubbaJoe

Perhaps the armed person should just let the unarmed attacker, attack, then when the armed person dies, the fault will be on the unarmed attacker and they can go to jail.

Win-Win!

Except, um, for the dead guy.

But other than that, win-win!

If you have no more control over your firearm than than that Beez, you probably shouldn't be carrying it.

HEs saying the armed person lets th eun armed person beat him to death and then they would blame th eun armed attacker. As in th eguy with a gun letting himself be beat to death because the other is un armed is really stupid.
A person is never un armed unless he cant use his hands or arms anymore.

If I am threatened, with a physical beating, and yeah am trained for that, and I am armed? What is wrong with shooting the asshat in the leg, busting his collar bone, hell most of these so called thugs will go down at the first injury. Instead, the vigilantes, neighborhood watch guys want to shoot mid torso or head, honestly WTF, if that is your attitude you should not be carrying a firearm.

But this guy had a gun and pointd it at police is that not what happened?
edit on 8/10/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian
For putting this all into perspective, that's very good too.

That is clearly where the fire is, as it is clearly where the issue that needs addressing now and the most is. And this is not to say there aren't other issues. This country maybe needs to learn how to prioritize, to apply some logic and perspective to the discussions instead of always looking at the me me me of it.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

And your point (which is a bit obfuscated to me) is? That the black-on-black murder rate is 10% higher than the white-on-white murder rat?.

What exactly are you asking or trying to say as is relevant to the discussion here, about the issue of an inordinate amount of black lives being taken by police and how black people are in general treated by the police?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Perhaps the armed person should just let the unarmed attacker, attack, then when the armed person dies, the fault will be on the unarmed attacker and they can go to jail.

Win-Win!

If you have no more control over your firearm than than that Beez, you probably shouldn't be carrying it.

I'm trained to fire center mass.

But that's just me.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Win-Win!

HEs saying the armed person lets th eun armed person beat him to death and then they would blame th eun armed attacker. As in th eguy with a gun letting himself be beat to death because the other is un armed is really stupid.

If I am threatened, with a physical beating, and yeah am trained for that, and I am armed? What is wrong with shooting the asshat in the leg, busting his collar bone, hell most of these so called thugs will go down at the first injury. Instead, the vigilantes, neighborhood watch guys want to shoot mid torso or head, honestly WTF, if that is your attitude you should not be carrying a firearm.

But this guy had a gun and pointd it at police is that not what happened?

Honestly sorry, not sure what guy you are talking about. The guy in Ferguson yesterday was a good shoot, he was shooting at cops. I am not sure what incident you are referring to.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Win-Win!

But that's just me.

Average guy, fire center mass, but what is the assailant threatening you with? If he has a firearm, I agree, center mass

ETA: If he doesn't have a weapon, why are you shooting him?

edit on 8/10/2015 by BubbaJoe because: because I can

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity
The point is that black lives need to matter to the black people doing the damage. But blame the cops, and whitey of course.

All lives can't matter until ALL lives matter. That's not as tricky as it may sound.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
All Lives Matter ? That is SOOOOOO racist.
....................better apologize quick !

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Win-Win!

But that's just me.

Average guy, fire center mass, but what is the assailant threatening you with? If he has a firearm, I agree, center mass

I'm not going to wait for an attacker to get close enough to fight hand-to-hand.

I'm not going to wait for an attacker to get close enough so I can discern the type of weapon he is going to use to attack me.

I don't believe in fair fights.

I always fight to win.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Win-Win!

Im sorry but this isnt HOLLYWOOD and those are very easily missed targets that when seconds count can lead to them taking your gun and killing you because they dont care bout killing you. ANd W e are taught to aim big miss small in the heat of the moment. The fool should not had pointed anything resembling a gun in th eofficers direction. Im sorry but it you are beating on me your life dont matter to me anymore and im will kill you dead.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

ETA: If he doesn't have a weapon, why are you shooting him?

Should I wait until after he attacked me to posit the question to him?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

While a valid point, that is neither the issue not the discussion here.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Foderalover
All Lives Matter ? That is SOOOOOO racist.
....................better apologize quick !

Well the hashtag WhiteLivesMatter more than likely would have been a bit transparent, not to mention irrelevant (again) to the discussion and issue here. Guess it was the closest they could come and still stay out of the line of fire.

A thinly veiled knee-jerk response is still a knee-jerk response. I'll see your tit and raise you a tat.
edit on 8/10/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I don't honestly believe in fair fights either, but an armed 28 YO against an unarmed 18 year old is probably not a fair fight. I shoot low mid torso, I blow his nuts off, pretty sure that will stop whatever he was going to do for a while, and no they are not hard targets. Anyone pointing a firearm at a LEO probably deserves what he gets. I am not anti gun, not anti cop, I have issues with an armed individual killing an unarmed one.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

What is wrong with shooting the asshat in the leg

If only that asshat shot Sean Taylor in the leg.

That's what killed him in case you didn't know. And don't you dare ask me who Sean Taylor is.

edit on 10-8-2015 by DenyObfuscation because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join