It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 women accused of being witches beaten to death in India

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: korath
or women who managed to find a way to live independently and refused to marry...
or were outspoken about women's rights.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

originally posted by: Klassified

a reply to: Klassified

Except the Indian police are desperately trying to stop these barbaric practices.
You know, the police that the 'elites' control.
If it was a plan by those at the top then the police would ignore it.

Yep, I stand by my statement, I think it is a ridiculous slant to this story about some backwards village in the backwoods of India who still believe in witchcraft.

I said nothing about a plan. I was talking neglect and greed. If you want to stop this kind of thing, you don't do it by force alone. You do it by educating people over time.
That's pretty much what I said earlier.
But if you are claiming that education is purposefully being denied by the 'elites' to allow the continuing practice of killing women over belief in witchcraft, I have to say I doubt that.
I would say it is more about mismanagement of India's budget, you know spending on arms and space exploration instead of education.

...unless you have some solid evidence to support your claim then our two opinions remain just that, opinion.

No, my good man. That isn't what you said. You were quite dismissive. I was trying to strike a realistic balance between Unity99's post and yours. I can see that isn't going to happen. Especially if you deny that governments across the world are corrupt, greedy, and don't mind leaving people like these living in deplorable conditions, and uneducated. It's easy to leave people ignorant, and use the police to control them. It's harder and more expensive to feed them, house them, and educate them.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

edit on 8/9/2015 by Klassified because: edit

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

a reply to: Klassified

Except the Indian police are desperately trying to stop these barbaric practices.
You know, the police that the 'elites' control.
If it was a plan by those at the top then the police would ignore it.

Yep, I stand by my statement, I think it is a ridiculous slant to this story about some backwards village in the backwoods of India who still believe in witchcraft.

I said nothing about a plan. I was talking neglect and greed. If you want to stop this kind of thing, you don't do it by force alone. You do it by educating people over time.
That's pretty much what I said earlier.
But if you are claiming that education is purposefully being denied by the 'elites' to allow the continuing practice of killing women over belief in witchcraft, I have to say I doubt that.
I would say it is more about mismanagement of India's budget, you know spending on arms and space exploration instead of education.

...unless you have some solid evidence to support your claim then our two opinions remain just that, opinion.

No, my good man. That isn't what you said. You were quite dismissive. I was trying to strike a realistic balance between Unity99's post and yours. I can see that isn't going to happen. Especially if you deny that governments across the world are corrupt, greedy, and don't mind leaving people like these living in deplorable conditions, and uneducated. It's easy to leave people ignorant, and use the police to control them. It's harder and more expensive to feed them, house them, and educate them.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Yep I'm happy with that, and yes I remain dismissive about your opinion

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
It appears that being accused of witchcraft is not a gender specific thing in India:
Man thrashed, buried alive on suspicion of witchcraft

A man was beaten up by some people and buried alive at the Aradhih village in Latehar district of Jharkhand for allegedly practising witchcraft, police said on Sunday.

The police exhumed the body of Mangar Bhuyan and sent it for post-mortem after his family members lodged a First Information Report

Ex-armyman killed for alleged witchcraft

An ex-armyman who was accused of practising witchcraft was axed to death by villagers at Simdega in Jharkhand, the police said on Monday.

Eight persons were arrested for killing ex-armyman Jonathan Baghe (65) for the latter's alleged practise of witchcraft, Superintendent of Police Prabhat Kumar told newsmen.

It would seem India should spend less on space missions and more on education of their savages.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
seems to me its time to force move people from villages and forcefully educate them in india for the welfare of the entire indian nation. when they get educated they get to go back to their villages.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Really now, Mind explaining to me how "Savages" sent Satellites into space without an Education ?

edit on 9-8-2015 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: maddy21

Really now, Mind explaining to me how "Savages" sent Satellites into space without an Education ?
Behave yourself, you knew exactly who I was referring to as savages, the scum that kill people because they think they are witches.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Behave yourself, you knew exactly who I was referring to as savages, the scum that kill people because they think they are witches.

We have educated people causing so much Havoc, its not education its some sense of Morality which needs to be taught..

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

We have educated people causing so much Havoc, its not education its some sense of Morality which needs to be taught..
Yep education as I said, and that would be the philosophy classes for moral questions.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Am i surprised? Not really, view on woman in India is low.

In 1990s, grants from foreign donor agencies enabled the formation of new women-oriented NGOs. Self-help groups and NGOs such as Self Employed Women's Association (SEWA) have played a major role in the advancement of women's rights in India. Many women have emerged as leaders of local movements; for example, Medha Patkar of the Narmada Bachao Andolan. The Government of India declared 2001 as the Year of Women's Empowerment (Swashakti).[18] The National Policy For The Empowerment Of Women came was passed in 2001.[35] In 2006, the case of Imrana, a Muslim rape victim, was highlighted by the media. Imrana was raped by her father-in-law. The pronouncement of some Muslim clerics that Imrana should marry her father-in-law led to widespread protests, and finally Imrana's father-in-law was sentenced to 10 years in prison. The verdict was welcomed by many women's groups and the All India Muslim Personal Law Board.[36] According to a report by Thomson Reuters, India is the "fourth most dangerous country" in the world for women,[37][38] India was also noted as the worst country for women among the G20 countries,[39] however, this report has faced criticism for its inaccuracy.[40] In 9 March 2010, one day after International Women's day, Rajya Sabha passed the Women's Reservation Bill requiring that 33% of seats in India's Parliament and state legislative bodies be reserved for women.[41]

Patriarchal attitudes For the three-year IMAGES study, ICRW researchers interviewed Indian men and women ages 18 to 59 about their intimate relationships, health practices, parenting, sexual behavior and use of violence. The survey was carried out among 1,037 men and 313 women in New Delhi, and 497 men and 208 women in Vijayawada, in the southeastern state of Andhra Pradesh. The sites were chosen because of their geographic diversity and because they already had efforts underway to involve men in work that promotes gender equality.

link

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Thousands of woman have been killed in India based on this law.....old news

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join