It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American hate paradigm proven in Ultumatum Game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
The American hate paradigm has been successfully proven in a cross cultural study known as the Ultumatum Game.

people.hss.caltech.edu...

I can't link information due to being a mobile device.

The ultimatum game is a game in economic experiments. The first player (the proposer) receives a sum of money and proposes how to divide the sum between himself and another player. The second player (the responder) chooses to either accept or reject this proposal.

From Google.

They found that Americans would return the money no matter what out of spite for not receiving a better cut. They also found that more indigenous cultures would feel happy for the person who got the money and they would just feel happy for being apart.

edit on 8/9/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I read the ENTIRE report.

Where did you come up with the "American hate paradigm" headline?

America is certainly more of a "Game Show" culture than the isolated Peruvian tribe that is the focus of this paper, however "word of the game had spread and people were anxious to play" I bet they had already made side deals with each other to make sure EVERYONE got paid. Small village after all.

This "study" is, well, to quote Dean Yeager, "Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! "

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

I will supply more links later.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

They found that Americans would return the money no matter what out of spite for not receiving a better cut.

No they didn't. Not at all. Lots of Americans took the money, The sharp change comes when the range goes to or below an 80/20 split.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   

And what did they find in other cultures with the sharp change

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   

They responded more to the "researchers" liking when the stakes were raised from $10 to $100.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Abe is right, study seems to say that Americans reject offers below 20% in comparison to 15% more frequently. Didn't see anything implying they would reject 'no matter what'.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Or maybe it's an entitlement paradigm where they feel they are entitled to more despite not working for it.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I did not even read the study and now that I have I see evidence for it.

Similarly, Hoffman et al. (1991) show that
when participants believe that some individuals have “earned the right” to be proposers,
offers tend to be lower, and responders are more likely to accept low offers, than when
roles are perceived as randomly assigned.

So basically the more a person believes they deserve the money they did nothing to earn the more likely they are to reject lower offers.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Indonesia showed the same results as America, so should you not label this Human Hate Paradigm?

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   

This "study" is, well, to quote Dean Yeager, "Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! "

That's putting it mildly. ...and a ghostbusters reference...

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Thread title should be changed, it's just an excuse to spew anti american garbage, it's not found anywhere in the research.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   
They spent $55,000 on this ridiculousness?

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

No, because this is a " Bash Americans" thread.
edit on 9-8-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join