It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found chicken of the woods today

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I've only found a few king bolettes here in SE, one was as big as a dinner plate but was past it's prime.

I hear that there are morrels in AK, but I've not seen any in the woods here on the island. Morrels are my absolute favorite, I started picking the as a young child with the entire family, parents, grandparents, aunt, uncle and cousins too! Good fun!

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Nice pictures.
My Dad started me on mushrooms when I was a toddler.
Having relocated to the US from northern Europe I am still not familiar with the types here. But Bolete's and Chicken yes, very tasty.
I heard they are very sensitive to radioactivity, not that I care, but they could perhaps be an indicator after a fall out.
WIS

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Today the wife and I found some small chanterelles, it looked like were a bit early.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
mistake false chanterelle www.gribu-info.ru... and this calcsoft.ru... in Russia chicken
edit on 10/8/15 by mangust69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: [pos?=19673403]AlaskanDad[/post]

chicken of the woods

Got to ask as I have never eaten it before. Why is it called chicken of the woods? Does it taste like Chicken or have the texture of meat?
edit on 18831America/ChicagoMon, 10 Aug 2015 10:18:17 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

We used to go 'over the hill' and look for Fly Agaric in the woods with regularity. They're all over the place near me. We would find others, but always left them be, not knowing how to identify them safely.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

There is little flavor so takes on the flavor of seasonings, and yes they're a meaty mushroom. One of the best things about chicken of the woods is that it does not cook down much, unlike so many other mushrooms.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

Thanks for the clarification.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

Just dont eat chcken of the cave....turned out badly for west africa

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The only mushrooms I'm going to pick and eat are those I grow myself. Just too damn risky with all the look-alikes, etc. The family loves mushrooms, so in a lot of our dishes.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I'm not much of a mushroom guy, but I'm confident in my ability to identify morels. If I can pick a mess of the big yellow ones to fry up in a skillet breaded with cracker crumbs, then I'm all in. Add some fresh caught crappie or white bass fillets and that's a heavenly feast.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join