It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

video..Topeka police officer fatally shoots retired judge's dog in his backyard

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
There are a lot of people here speaking out in the defense of these poor creatures, shot in their own yard, by police who should know better. And there are a lot of people here calling them cop haters or something similar.

I am not a cop hater, but I hate some of the things cops do. Especially when their first act of self defense against a pet is to kill it.

I have been attacked by a dog many times. When I was a teenager we had a professionally trained Doberman guard dog. It was full grown and knew what it was doing. It was big for a Doberman, and was nothing but muscle and teeth. That dog eventually turned, as some Dobermans do. When it did, it attacked me like it wanted to kill me. I was in a very small area, boxed in on three sides, and the dog was on the fourth side. There was no running away and nowhere to hide. I had to fight. And I learned how to fight dogs by learning on the best, biggest, fastest set of teeth I have ever seen on four legs.

That dog attacked me on a daily basis for a couple of weeks until my parents finally admitted that it was the dog and not me getting the dog worked up or agitated. (it had never gone after anyone else at that point) When it finally did they knew the dog had to be removed. We didn't have it put down. We sold it to a gas station as a guard dog. He did his job too well. Long story short, the last time I saw him he was chewing on a buick at a junk yard and happy as hell.

The point of all this is that not once did I ever think it was necessary to kill the dog. I got bit a few times. But I also learned how to fight a dog. And it is possible to win a dog fight with your bare hands, no matter what kind of dog it is.

For those who would say that I must have deserved it or that I was cruel to the dog - you are wrong. I am 100% animal lover, especially dogs. Friends have even called me a dog whisperer because dogs who usually are aggressive to anyone but family take to me very quickly. Dogs with behavior problems are usually better behaved when I am present. My own Doberman, he had issues. He was a good dog for several years but then one day he just snapped. It was sad to have to let him go, but he looked happy, so I cant complain.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
They don't have any training for this scenario. Go in someones backyard there might be a dog. Not omfg a dog and shoot. As the poor lady said to this moron, why didn't he knock on the front door. All these types of videos the first reaction is to grab gun,escalate situation to the point were they get to use their gun instead of using their brain, talking and listening and calming things down.But they bully people and don't listen because they have a badge, this means they don't care for people or their dogs. It is also funny the cop said he had a dog too so should have known how a dog would react towards him. Like I said were is the training.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Exactly. That dog was charging him. I would've been afraid and would have shot it too had I had a gun. The way the thing flew around the corner straight at him, yeah.

As far as police responding to alarms, a person wants his or her property protected, *especially* in an upscale area. So, perhaps that *is* why there needs to be a private security company involved. Then again, if anything should happen to the security in the event a burglar is there, it's a liability. I know some homeowners in some areas are charged a fee for every false alarm to which a cop responds.

Tell the cops not to respond to burglar alarms; don't call the cops to your house. Set up electric fence to keep the cops out. Period.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Exactly. That dog was charging him. I would've been afraid and would have shot it too had I had a gun. The way the thing flew around the corner straight at him, yeah.

No offense but then we would be calling you a pussy too.

A 26 lb dog coming at me....while im in military tactical gear........oh no gotta shoot it.

edit on 9-8-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: FraggleRock
While I hesitate to completely defend any actions taken, unless I've stumbled on the wrong Topeka and/or I am misunderstanding the information, then I believe he was within his jurisdiction to enter the premises.

8.05.030 Inspection. For the purpose of enforcing the provisions of this chapter, the police chief shall have the authority, at reasonable times and upon reasonable oral notice, to enter into the premises in the city in or upon which alarm systems or alarm businesses subject to this chapter are located to inspect the installation or operation of such alarm systems or alarm businesses on official police business. (Code 1981 § 34-147. Code 1995 § 62-93.)

SOURCE

I guess nobody saw this little phrase in this statute?

"...and upon reasonable oral notice..."

Did this officer notify the home owner he was going to enter the premises? If he did, then perhaps the home owner would have warned him of the dog in the yard? Also, if this LEO truly was responding to a suspected burglary in progress, don't you think the would be thieves would have heard his gunshots OUTSIDE the house and either fled or shot him?!?!?

Please, I too know many a LEO, and none of them think they need to shoot a small dog running toward them when they have their riot spray and night stick at hand (both silently deployed for good reason in this situation). They, oddly enough, think of measured escalation before resorting to lethal force to subdue a threat.

But then, that takes training and forethought not to simply react in a panic....like this LEO did in this incident.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
another sad example of the now-standard MO for far too many LEOs ( waay to quick to pull the trigger, waay to often).
i can only hope we begin to see a reduction in such cases, soon. trust is a finite resource.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Maybe set these guys up with old school armour..bunch of pussies

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

Is this high school? "A pussy"? You'd call me a pussy if I shot the damn dog? Hey, guess what, friend? WHO CARES! You're touching on a tangential favorite topic of mine on ATS: the tissue paper thin skin Americans have developed of late. You're opinion of someone is 100% meaningless here, that includes whatever's insults and childish names are chosen to be slung around ala kindergarten at recess. The only thing that matters is whether the cop broke the law or policy.. He didn't. In fact, the article is pretty clear that he faces 0 discipline over this. So yeah... violating policy and breaking the law will cost my job, but rude names and insults are laughable would be an apropos bastardization of the old "sticks and stones" rhyme children used to be taught.

Regards
~the Pussy

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
So if anyone (person, animal, whatever) looks "threatening" and charges a cop, the cop should have free reign for shoot to kill?

Slippery slope is slippery.
edit on 9-8-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Bloodydagger

preeeetty much, just shoot whatever moves and then say "I'm sorry" problem solved

the dog did what any dog would do, bark and try to scare off the unknown person inside his home while being pretty scared themselves they still do that, a little show of dominance and the dog would have backed off, and even if it doesn't there is no need to shoot it and kill it.

heck if you are so goddamn scared of a little dog that you need your gun then a shot in the air or into the bush next to the dog would have sent the dog running tail between legs and you wouldn't see it for a week, and yes he had plenty of time to do that rather than shoot the dog in the head.

but who needs logic right? just kill kill kill.

but who wants to read such a reply right? lest I be labelled a "cop hater" for saying the cop did the wrong thing.

yessirr that dog was "Flying outta that corner" like a rocket!, it was mid air flying at the officers neck just before he shot it! it was still moving too after being shot it could have bit off the officers leg clean off!! he should have shot the dog at least 5 more times just to be safe!. /end sarcasm

ah yes that^ is a much better reply according to some here, heck the officer should receive a medal for his bravery felling this foul beast.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys

originally posted by: Liquesence

No offense but then we would be calling you a pussy too.

A 26 lb dog coming at me....while im in military tactical gear........oh no gotta shoot it.

Call me whatever you want, I don't care.

A) There's no way to tell exactly how much a dog weighs when it's charging you, and there's little time to size it up.

B) What does military tactical gear have to do with anything. is it dog-proof? Bite resistant? It covers your neck and head if you should fall and it goes for your neck or rips your ear off?

Yours is the same type of idiotic macho attitude that results in a Darwin award.

"I can wrastle that thang with mah bare hands!" he says as it rips off his nuts or lunges and sinks his teeth into his neck. SMH
edit on 9-8-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Sorry I hurt your feelings but as they say...the truth hurts.

As far as being able to shoot dogs willy nilly as part of policy. It was policy just a few years ago in a certain country to round up jews and kill them. Policy is such a great justification.....

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

It's a good thing you aren't a cop then.

Why don't we hear of cops in civilized nations just willy nilly shooting dogs? They don't own dogs in the UK?
edit on 9-8-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

There are a lot of people here speaking out in the defense of these poor creatures, shot in their own yard, by police who should know better. And there are a lot of people here calling them cop haters or something similar.

That is because some people get a sense of superiority when throwing around labels......

Whats even worse is the justification to kill a small dog based on self preservation,god forbid people who think like that ever find themselves in an actual dangerous situation...

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys

Sorry I hurt your feelings but as they say...the truth hurts.

As far as being able to shoot dogs willy nilly as part of policy. It was policy just a few years ago in a certain country to round up jews and kill them. Policy is such a great justification.....

Wow! First of all, I believe I was pretty blunt and plain in saying my Jimmies remain unrustled and the sanctity of my feels are fully intact.

But aside from that noise, did you... did you really just compare an officer neutralizing an aggressive dog with Nazi Germany and the Holocaust? It's called perspective and my God do you ever need a healthy dose of it, friend.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

The perspective is the point of whatever they make policy.....people like you will be ok with it. It's ok. You're not alone.....

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Aren't you complaining about people complaining?

And your even doing it... wait for it... ONLINE!

smh

ETA:

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

Is this high school? "A pussy"? You'd call me a pussy if I shot the damn dog? Hey, guess what, friend? WHO CARES! You're touching on a tangential favorite topic of mine on ATS: the tissue paper thin skin Americans have developed of late. You're opinion of someone is 100% meaningless here, that includes whatever's insults and childish names are chosen to be slung around ala kindergarten at recess. The only thing that matters is whether the cop broke the law or policy.. He didn't. In fact, the article is pretty clear that he faces 0 discipline over this. So yeah... violating policy and breaking the law will cost my job, but rude names and insults are laughable would be an apropos bastardization of the old "sticks and stones" rhyme children used to be taught.

Regards
~the Pussy

Whoahhh there. Are you generalizing Americans? Is this kind of sweeping insult on a country of people okay on ATS now, or would you like to apologize? WTF
edit on 8 9 2015 by JohnTheSmith because: (no reason given)

edit on 8 9 2015 by JohnTheSmith because: Having trouble seperating quote from comment.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnTheSmith

If other Americans find what this American just said insulting, then they can feel free to change, grow some damn layers to their skin, and stop acting like words are more important that actions.

In other words, no apology and no backtracking on the comments I made.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Why, yes, yes I am.

Got you to read it, didn't I?

I'm fussing about people who, in their social justice outrage, merrily go about slapping a coat of paint on all of a group who has somehow or other offended them, or their sense of justice...

As a result? All cops are bad/corrupt. All homosexuals are pushing the "gay agenda". ...and on and on and on. That's what I fuss about. Not to mention the fact that these are the same bozo's that complain about the "bad men/women in office", yet in virtually the same paragraph, or sentence even, proudly pronounce that they don't vote, or involve themselves in correcting these wrongs.

Surely you've seen them in all their hypocritical glory?

Apparently, the only way to contact them is on the interwebs...because they certainly aren't at city council meetings, or county commissioner meetings, or political gatherings (that would be caucuses, and such...) where they might actually help accomplish something.

edit on 8/9/2015 by seagull because: grammar/spelling...

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

No, I think burdman is not complaining by highlighting how people like to sideline discussion by their own irrelevant and personal comments.

If anyone needs to apologize it's the poster for calling people pussies.

I think what burdman was alluding to was the touchiness so prevalent in America these days where everything is taken so personal that it becomes an issue where otherwise it wouldn't. People get their panties in a wad if someone looks at them wrongly or says the wrong thing, and it's a disease these days.

So maybe it is a generalization, but he/she doesn't need to apologize. Why, did you get *your* feelings hurt?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join