It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

video..Topeka police officer fatally shoots retired judge's dog in his backyard

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

You know, experience with dogs is not exactly that rare... Why is everybody so skeptical when someone says they wouldn't shoot the dog?

Do you think people are lying about their experiences with a common everyday animal?

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

One varibale you're not considering here is that the officer in question was responding to what was feared to be a break in. He had no idea if there was a theif in the yard or the home and whether or not there were weapons involved. It was probably in the back of his mind "While I'm dealing with this dog, I'm a sitting duck."

Pepper spray is not a panacea. Up here we have stuff called bear spray. It can and is used in defense against bears and dogs. If bear spray makes contact with human skin, you go to the emergency room for burn treatment. If you spray bear spray into a human's face, they probably end up half blind for life and that assumes they don't go into cardiac arrest or die from their throat contracting and suffocating. Spray a bear or dog with it, however, and it is a non lethal, non crippling method of getting away from the animal in one piece.

My point: The spray police carry is formulated to subdue a human attacker without causing permanent damage to them. I would assume that using it on a dog would be less effective, but I do not know by how much.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

You know, experience with dogs is not exactly that rare... Why is everybody so skeptical when someone says they wouldn't shoot the dog?

Do you think people are lying about their experiences with a common everyday animal?

I certainly question whether their anecdotal assumptions are accurate considering how corrupt their opinions of this situation are.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   

If we aren't talking a Rottie or simular dog and no escape route..ya I would try and keep in mind Im in someone elses yard for an alarm..not a murder in progress. You kill a pet you might as well be killing family to some.
edit on 9-8-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The situation is stupid, you don't go to someone's house because of a potential theft in progress and kill their beloved dog. Most people would rather the cop let the thief leave with their stuff first.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   
European cops don't carry guns. They also respond to house alarms, and all manner of other things that involve going into a persons home or yard. How come they don't have any problem with dogs?

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Im in B.C. so I know what your saying about the bear spray(I dont recall it being that toxic..spray for grizzlys?)..my friend runs a campground and is loaded with spray and bear bangers..the bangers work good but with everything so tinder dry you wouldnt want to use one.
On the pepper spray thing it can be effective unless the dog is trained to deal with it.. according to a quick search.
bestpepperspray.net...

I do get what your saying, I can understand what might be going through a cops mind when entering an unknown situation.
edit on 9-8-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I've been bit plenty of times.

Hardly makes you an expert in avoiding dog bites , in fact i would say quite the opposite . Well unless you profess to being an expert on what not to do .

you don't go to someone's house because of a potential theft in progress and kill their beloved dog.

Response to a house alarm does not necessarily make it robbery . That line of thinking is moot .

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Learn by experience. By spending time with dogs and other animals. Been bit by lots of animals, it goes with the territory. Handling animals to give them medicine, for the vet to give them a shot, for bathing, and many other things that are innately invasive will occasionally get you bit or nipped. I've worked at pet stores, the vet, kennels, ect. I've had and lived with all kinds of animals. I'm dealt with aggressive dogs bigger than myself, in fact I've dealt with many many dogs, and never had to shoot one, and yet I'm hear still alive and healthy. Imagine that.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Yes i am sure you are a case study of how harmless dog bites are .

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   

*rolls eyes*

If you're going down that road of paranoid fear, might as well stay home, cause there's much much more to worry about then dog bites. Go find a nice bunker somewhere to hide in, cause this world is way too scary.

People live and work with dogs every day everywhere, dog bites are not some pandemic we need all cower from like scared little rabbits. Get real.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Dont twist things , this is about a policeman shooting a dog that was attacking him .

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

Dont twist things , this is about a policeman shooting a dog that was attacking him .

It was not attacking him it was running toward him,its pretty much standard behavior from any dog when a person enters their yard...

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   

A dog that was only a threat if you're a chicken#.

The most that dog could do was give him stitches and maybe some shots.

Have we really become such a pampered nation that the threat of a bite from a small dog is so scarey we need to shoot it?

Are we really this pathetic?

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Are you advocating that police let themselves get bitten . That line of thought turns the stupidity dial all the way to eleven .

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   

You know what, yes. If it's a nip verses killing the dog, then as someone who's worked in a vets office, yes I do. It's part of the risk of your job to serve and protect.

As a cop, you "might" get nipped or bit by the occasional small dog. It's not the end of the world.

Killing people's dogs in their own yards because you might get bit, is NOT protecting people at all, it's harming them.

Could you imagine if every dog that bit or nipped a vet, or someone that worked at a vets office was killed? Or at a pet groomers, ect?

I mean seriously, if you're so paranoid about the tiniest harm that might come to you, your first instinct is to shoot it, then you are the LAST person who should ever be issued a firearm period, end of story.

Anyone with that itchy of a trigger finger is a threat to public safety.

At some point we've gone from accepting that an officers job comes with certain risks they need to accept as parcel to their job in maintaining public safety, to instead putting the cops before the safety of the public. We've gone from cops protecting the public first, to cops protecting themselves first and the public secondary.

We trust with a gun, someone who can't handle what others risk daily without one.

Addendum: "And no obviously not just sit there and get bit while doing nothing, don't be stupid. But everyone else, including cops in other countries can handle dogs without shooting them, stop babying our police officers.
edit on 8/9/2015 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   

As far as the Blue Wall of Silence goes, how exactly does that differ from the "Code of the Streets" or "Snitches get Stitches" that the inner city residents live and die by?

Police officers are paid to enforce the laws. I would hope that the jurisdiction that they work in has made them raise their hand and swear an oath. Turning away from wrongdoing by other officers is contrary to why they even exist.
They can bust down the door of your residence and come in and shoot you if they have 'probable cause'.
Most inner city dwellers do not have the right to do that.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Thank you for your voice of reason.

I am looking in from the outside (for many years) and social media and bringing awareness is the only way forward now. People can take their power back but only once enough of the masses have woken up.

Your police and political corruption are the very reasons I will never step foot in the USA. From the outside looking in, the numbers of corrupt are very worrying. I have heard nothing but good about the American people but everything bad about the systems in place running the country and the police force. Trust me the UK has its own very real problems with the corrupt and twisted at the top but thankfully the police in general are not armed, it may be a very different tune if they ever are.

And for absolute sure, if any police person took aim at my dog on MY property then yes, without a doubt I would get right in the middle as my dog is part of my family.

So I take it that Americans should not train their dogs for guarding purposes as when the dog is doing what it is trained for and PROTECTING its property and owners it runs the very real risk of being shot by your law enforcement?

Respect for the police should be earned not because they can at any moment escalate a situation to the point they are able to shoot you. Guns do not garner respect, only fear and resentment.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Police scum probably shoot the poor wee thing down because of it colour.

Who im i trying to kid? Police don't discriminate these days they will shoot just about anyone and anything, Men, Woman, children, animals! Its all the same to them, they just like pulling the trigger.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Yes, sadly it would appear some officers really are that pathetic and scared (some will simply be able to live out bits of their psychosis protected by law). What on Earth would they do if their guns were removed???

My friend is a female police officer, perhaps I should ask her how she and ALL the other police officers protect themselves and deal with pets on call without the aid of a gun.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join