It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gender Dysphoric? No cash to pay for the reassignment surgery?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

a reply to: yuppa

Definitely serious.

Well being gender dysphoric myself i was wondering. why so serious? lol.

Before I answer, a question of my own. What gender are you biologically, and what gender do you feel like you are?

Or since we are tossing the term 'dysphoric' around, does that mean you can't make up your mind how you feel? It's hard to keep track of all the new 'diversity' terms that are being used. We need a dictionary or something.

Her eill post my answer to you this way. One of my fav shani twain songs says it best.

MAN i feel like a WOMAN.

So it's a really easy question.

How do you know what it feels like to be a woman? Have you checked with women on how they feel to be a woman in a woman's body?

Personally, I think we are all just a consciousness wrapped in flesh and blood. We have the hands we are dealt and have to make due with the talents and disadvantages we were born with. No amount of hormone therapy and plastic surgery will change that.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: EKron

Or since we are tossing the term 'dysphoric' around, does that mean you can't make up your mind how you feel? It's hard to keep track of all the new 'diversity' terms that are being used. We need a dictionary or something.

Cute.

1) Dysphoria is a profound state of unease or dissatisfaction. In a psychiatric context, dysphoria may accompany depression, anxiety, or agitation. Common reactions to dysphoria include emotional distress or indifference. The opposite state of mind is known as euphoria. 2) A feeling of being ill at ease

This is no new "diversity" term. It's been around since the mid 1800's. If you don't have a dictionary, try using Google.

By 'terms' i am referring to all the hyphenated psycho-babble jargon that is cluttering the landscape. Apparently there are over 50 genders, which personally I find to be asinine. Man. Woman. Simple.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides
Then get your ass into jail! At least...in California, that is.

California Govenor allows parole for transgender prison inmate to get gender reassignment surgery, AND the state will pay for it.

"SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Gov. Jerry Brown is allowing parole for a transgender inmate who is trying to force California to become the first state to pay for sex reassignment surgery.

Fox News

Yeah. Wow. This is a joke.

So sorry, you don't get a free ride when you break societies rules. Nor do you get such extravagances afforded to you.

Many will point the finger and say "Well, that's California for you...". I'm not at all concerned with that. I am concerned with the turn our culture is taking.

Ok I admit that the state should not be made to carry the burden of elective surgery for ANYONE but for you to imply that someone who is gender Dysphoric and impoverished should or would intentionally go to prison is ignorant at best. It almost seems as if your real problem is not with the issue of the state picking up the cost but rather Transgender folks in general. My apologies if I am incorrect in that assertion but that is what I see between the lines.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Cute.

1) Dysphoria is a profound state of unease or dissatisfaction. In a psychiatric context, dysphoria may accompany depression, anxiety, or agitation. Common reactions to dysphoria include emotional distress or indifference. The opposite state of mind is known as euphoria. 2) A feeling of being ill at ease

This is no new "diversity" term. It's been around since the mid 1800's. If you don't have a dictionary, try using Google.

By 'terms' i am referring to all the hyphenated psycho-babble jargon that is cluttering the landscape. Apparently there are over 50 genders, which personally I find to be asinine. Man. Woman. Simple.

As someone who is Transgender I agree 50+ gender options is ridiculous. Man, woman and for those who need labels slap Trans before any one of those.
edit on CDTMon, 10 Aug 2015 21:29:37 -0500pmppAmerica/Chicago10-05:00Mon, 10 Aug 2015 21:29:37 -050029 by TrappedPrincess because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Definitely serious.

Before I answer, a question of my own. What gender are you biologically, and what gender do you feel like you are?

Her eill post my answer to you this way. One of my fav shani twain songs says it best.

MAN i feel like a WOMAN.

How do you know what it feels like to be a woman? Have you checked with women on how they feel to be a woman in a woman's body?

Personally, I think we are all just a consciousness wrapped in flesh and blood. We have the hands we are dealt and have to make due with the talents and disadvantages we were born with. No amount of hormone therapy and plastic surgery will change that.

SO basically anything were born with you are saying deal with it right? Boy I bet that will make cleft palette children So happy! Or someone who was born without hearing being able to hear huh? Hey b ehappy you can read brailee!! you dont need tht ear surgery.

I disagree with you. It would make me HAppy and thats reason enough to do it. If it makes you uncomfortable you can kiss my grits and stay out of my life. Im felt happy when i could be alone at home and act liek the girl i actually am inside. I live in the conservative south so oyu dang better know to hide that or you can wind up dead around here.
I have a question. How does it feel to be a doormat for life and accept what you have instead of trying to make yourself happy? No attack here btw. im actually curious.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Oh, by psycho-babble jargon you mean like science and stuff that may exceed your comprehension level? Shall we get off your lawn too so your pristine landscape can remain uncluttered? (just poking you a little, not attacking)

50 genders? Oh my! Anyone disturbed enough to devise criteria and catalog 50 different genders really must have some of their own issues, ya think? Where do people come up with such ideas and where are you getting this stuff from? I see, things need to be strictly binary or clearly black or white in your world but do you really think the rest of the world confirms to your asininity scale? It is people and human beings we're talking about here. What a dull world it would be if everyone was the same.

Out of curiosity, are you young and inexperienced in life or old, rigid and stuck in your ways and in what country or general part of the country do you live in? (I'm collecting demographics!). I will say I appreciate that so far your opinions have been expressed without falling back on rhetoric and dogma, conservative political tropes or religion like we're so used to seeing in these topics so that's cool and I respect that but in some ways, your thinking or attitudes make me a little sad for you because things just aren't as simple as you would like them to be.

Maybe you just need a hug? Let's try that first: *hugs*

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TrappedPrincess

Maybe you need to simply focus on the words. There is nothing to "read betwen the lines".

If you've read my posts...you'll know, I don't pull punches.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
a reply to: nullafides

I'm glad you think its an extravagance! To some,it about life itself. Can you imagine being a woman trapped in a mans body? How about a man trapped in a womans body?

No but I can't really imagine taxpayers having to pay for it either. Let's see limited number of resources, California has large homeless population and a lot of hungry kids but the tax money goes for this? Nice priorities folks really Mike can now be Michelle as food banks everywhere are begging for money.

You do knoe that the insurance companies in Cali cover it now so its most likely not going to impact the tax payer actually.

You should read the article, the state therefore the taxpayers are paying. And I stand by my statement that the homeless and hungry take priority over mike becoming Michelle.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Gov. Jerry Brown is allowing parole for a transgender inmate who is trying to force California to become the first state to pay for sex reassignment surgery.

A federal judge in April ordered the state to provide the surgery, which had been scheduled for July. It was delayed after the state appealed.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides
a reply to: TrappedPrincess

Maybe you need to simply focus on the words. There is nothing to "read betwen the lines".

If you've read my posts...you'll know, I don't pull punches.

Maybe I call em like i see em but it makes no difference to me as I really care not for your opinion. Oh and by saying "you don't pull punches" you mean to say that you have no problem being a smug prick or did I read that wrong too?

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

I'm glad you think its an extravagance! To some,it about life itself. Can you imagine being a woman trapped in a mans body? How about a man trapped in a womans body?

No but I can't really imagine taxpayers having to pay for it either. Let's see limited number of resources, California has large homeless population and a lot of hungry kids but the tax money goes for this? Nice priorities folks really Mike can now be Michelle as food banks everywhere are begging for money.

You do knoe that the insurance companies in Cali cover it now so its most likely not going to impact the tax payer actually.

You should read the article, the state therefore the taxpayers are paying. And I stand by my statement that the homeless and hungry take priority over mike becoming Michelle.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Gov. Jerry Brown is allowing parole for a transgender inmate who is trying to force California to become the first state to pay for sex reassignment surgery.

A federal judge in April ordered the state to provide the surgery, which had been scheduled for July. It was delayed after the state appealed.

Sigh do you understand the concept of TAX WRITE OFF? It will be designated CHARITY sinc eits being GIVEN to the inmate. They have funds for this crap donated to the state. so no it wont cost the tax payers.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Definitely serious.

MAN i feel like a WOMAN.

SO basically anything were born with you are saying deal with it right? Boy I bet that will make cleft palette children So happy! Or someone who was born without hearing being able to hear huh? Hey b ehappy you can read brailee!! you dont need tht ear surgery.

Way to compare physical deformities with mental/self-image issues!

I disagree with you. It would make me HAppy and thats reason enough to do it. If it makes you uncomfortable you can kiss my grits and stay out of my life. Im felt happy when i could be alone at home and act liek the girl i actually am inside. I live in the conservative south so oyu dang better know to hide that or you can wind up dead around here.
I have a question. How does it feel to be a doormat for life and accept what you have instead of trying to make yourself happy? No attack here btw. im actually curious.

That's not a question, it's a false narrative. It is a back-handed attack cloaked in passive aggressiveness.

I doubt you are curious, but I'll play along. I am quite happy with my life. I overcame depression and suicidal tendencies in my elementary and junior high years, which were fueled by being the outcast. In the end I simply had the epiphany, why the hell do I care what those losers think?

I notice you haven't answered my question. How do you know what it is like to be a woman? What is your point of reference? Where did you learn what 'woman' is to apply it to yourself? Unlike you, I really am curious. I would like to understand how you came to your line of thinking.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Oh, by psycho-babble jargon you mean like science and stuff that may exceed your comprehension level? Shall we get off your lawn too so your pristine landscape can remain uncluttered? (just poking you a little, not attacking)

50 genders? Oh my! Anyone disturbed enough to devise criteria and catalog 50 different genders really must have some of their own issues, ya think? Where do people come up with such ideas and where are you getting this stuff from? I see, things need to be strictly binary or clearly black or white in your world but do you really think the rest of the world confirms to your asininity scale? It is people and human beings we're talking about here. What a dull world it would be if everyone was the same.

Out of curiosity, are you young and inexperienced in life or old, rigid and stuck in your ways and in what country or general part of the country do you live in? (I'm collecting demographics!). I will say I appreciate that so far your opinions have been expressed without falling back on rhetoric and dogma, conservative political tropes or religion like we're so used to seeing in these topics so that's cool and I respect that but in some ways, your thinking or attitudes make me a little sad for you because things just aren't as simple as you would like them to be.

Maybe you just need a hug? Let's try that first: *hugs*

Hugs are awesome.

What I am is a trained biologist and statistician. It doesn't matter how a person feels about their gender, they cannot escape their DNA and bone structure. 200 years from now if someone digs up Bruce Jenner, they will find an X and Y chromosome and the skeleton of a man, most likely determine he was an athlete based on joint wear and bone damage. Same with Chastity Bono and that one guy on 'Orange is the new Black.'

I am someone who is open to new paradigms, if they are better than the current. So far I'm not impressed by the current transgender craze, nor the psycho babble that coddles people's feelings against the reality of their situation. Biology is not bigotry. To me there is nothing wrong with accepting the stereotypical male and female facets that you enjoy.

I love cooking and taking care of my son. I go shopping with the family. Those are considered 'feminine' behaviors. My wife says I have a better eye for color than her. She loves football and fishing, and is more competitive. She is a definite tomboy and has what could be considered stereotypical 'masculine' behavior. It's not a big deal for either of us, it doesn't make us question our identities. I don't think I'm 'trapped' in my body. Sure I could stand to lose some weight, maybe get lasik surgery because my glasses are a pain. But it is what it is.

And I still like hugs

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Hugs are awesome.

Yeah, they are, huh?

What I am is a trained biologist and statistician. It doesn't matter how a person feels about their gender, they cannot escape their DNA and bone structure. 200 years from now if someone digs up Bruce Jenner, they will find an X and Y chromosome and the skeleton of a man, most likely determine he was an athlete based on joint wear and bone damage. Same with Chastity Bono and that one guy on 'Orange is the new Black.'

Certainly, processes of the mind and societal interactions are not dependent on chromosomes and bone structure and what does a 200 year old skeleton have to say about who or how a person was to them self or others during their life? Certainly, with your claimed scientific training, you would realize people and their personalities cannot be reduced purely to chemistry or genetic indicators (XX XY) that aren't apparent to the naked eye.

Furthermore, your bias and lack of cultural sensitivity by referring to transgender people in a way they would likely find offensive says a lot about your attitudes and the type of person I perceive you to be. I'm not the PC Police and you don't necessarily need to "coddle" but there's no reason to not be more respectful of other's feelings.

I am someone who is open to new paradigms, if they are better than the current. So far I'm not impressed by the current transgender craze, nor the psycho babble that coddles people's feelings against the reality of their situation. Biology is not bigotry.

"Current transgender craze"? You mean the media's current fascination with something that has existed as part of the human condition probably since the time we learned to walk upright and developed self-awareness beyond the instinctual biological imperative to reproduce? Seriously, this is something that has existed well before the "psycho babble" was around to describe and categorize it. Biology may not be bigotry but again, the psyche and expression of one's personality can't entirely discount societal and environmental factors nor the growing body of evidence there are genetic predispositions and/or prenatal hormonal factors involved in the transgender persons psychological makeup. Human beings are complicated critters that transcend being chemically filled bags of meat.

If you have training as a biologist and statistician and are interested in raising your understanding and awareness of these matters, I will U2U you some links with scientific research and interpretation and analysis of the data that you may find interesting on a professional level? If you are inflexible in your thinking or believe that new paradigms need to be superior to be valid or that they can't coexist with existing ones, then studying these issues will be pointless. If as you say you are open to new things, information in the links I'll be sending you a little later this evening might be helpful in reaching a better understanding of transgender etiologies and concerns?

To me there is nothing wrong with accepting the stereotypical male and female facets that you enjoy.

I love cooking and taking care of my son. I go shopping with the family. Those are considered 'feminine' behaviors. My wife says I have a better eye for color than her. She loves football and fishing, and is more competitive. She is a definite tomboy and has what could be considered stereotypical 'masculine' behavior. It's not a big deal for either of us, it doesn't make us question our identities. I don't think I'm 'trapped' in my body. Sure I could stand to lose some weight, maybe get lasik surgery because my glasses are a pain. But it is what it is.

Granted, there is absolutely nothing wrong with accepting stereotypical male and female facets but realize, not everyone neatly fits into the mold you seem to have so clearly defined in your mind as evidenced by flavoring your perceptions of yours and your wife's behavior and interests with traditional gender qualities. Let me ask you this, can these perceptions of and expressions of masculine and feminine stereotypical behavior be reduced solely to chemistry or does psychology, societal conditioning and preconceptions of expected behavior play in as a factor?

And I still like hugs

Good! Here's another for the sake of having an intelligent, and hopefully open minded discussion about this stuff. *Hugs*!

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
There's no "life or death" situation with this gender confusion "disability" or whatever the medically accurate term is.

I guess all unattractive people should be getting free cosmetic surgery, too. What about people born with severe physical and/or mental disabilities? I think that money could go towards funding more research to help those people.

Yes, they're born into a body they don't want. So are millions, even billions, of other people. And millions have it much worse than just feeling like they want to be the opposite gender.

On that note, I feel like I was supposed to be born into an extremely attractive and physically superior body(maybe that of an Olympic runner or weight lifter). Oh and I was supposed to be born into an extremely wealthy family, too. Not my fault, I just identify with it. Where's my money please?

You don't NEED reassignment surgery to live freely. You can have it but you don't need it. If you want it, pay for it yourself. Why is the government getting involved in this? This world is really, really going to #.
edit on 11-8-2015 by OhOkYeah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: OhOkYeah
There's no "life or death" situation with this gender confusion "disability" or whatever the medically accurate term is.

You recognize this is a medical condition but your post and opinion demonstrate that you really don't know what you're talking about regarding these matters. That's okay, most people don't but for those that do, your comments and comparisons really point out your ignorance lack of knowledge about people with this challenge in their lives. Chances are, if you've ever known someone transgender or had a transgender family member, you'd probably feel a lot different about the whole thing.

Additionally, even the transfolk that have posted in this thread haven't advocated that the state be forced to pay for this convict's surgical procedures but I would hope that this issue continue to recognized and be closely evaluated on an individual case-by-case basis and not be denied or allowed as a matter of blanket policy. For some, this is a life or death situation and I'd imagine the lawsuits over someone committing suicide in prison due to withheld medical treatments would be far more damaging to the state's coffers than just paying surgical costs in the first place.

Hey, I would have liked to have been born extremely attractive into a wealthy family with a superior body too but this transgender stuff is a little deeper and a lot more complicated than just identity politics.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Sigh do you understand the concept of TAX WRITE OFF? It will be designated CHARITY sinc eits being GIVEN to the inmate. They have funds for this crap donated to the state. so no it wont cost the tax payers.

Do you understand that money came from the taxpayers and it will pay for this? I don't care what they write off to the Fed. The fact is it is money that is better spent feeding people and housing people than it is turning Mike to Michelle. Sigh all you want. People eating will always take priority over stuff like this. There are a limited number of resources. Want gender surgery pay for it or start a go fund me account. If charity and tax payers are involved you feed people, and no amount of sighs will change that. You need to eat, housing is a pretty basic concept. Gender surgery , shouldn't even be on radar where taxpayers are concerned considering other priorities and limited resources.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Do you understand that money came from the taxpayers and it will pay for this? I don't care what they write off to the Fed. The fact is it is money that is better spent feeding people and housing people than it is turning Mike to Michelle. Sigh all you want. People eating will always take priority over stuff like this. There are a limited number of resources. Want gender surgery pay for it or start a go fund me account. If charity and tax payers are involved you feed people, and no amount of sighs will change that. You need to eat, housing is a pretty basic concept. Gender surgery , shouldn't even be on radar where taxpayers are concerned considering other priorities and limited resources.

WHo are you to dictate who CHARITY HELPS? Do you donate to any charities? EVer think this might actually REHABILITATE the person as well? If its money given freely them they obviously didnt mind giving it away to be used as Charity saw fit.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: OhOkYeah

You recognize this is a medical condition but your post and opinion demonstrate that you really don't know what you're talking about regarding these matters. That's okay, most people don't but for those that do, your comments and comparisons really point out your ignorance lack of knowledge about people with this challenge in their lives. Chances are, if you've ever known someone transgender or had a transgender family member, you'd probably feel a lot different about the whole thing.

Additionally, even the transfolk that have posted in this thread haven't advocated that the state be forced to pay for this convict's surgical procedures but I would hope that this issue continue to recognized and be closely evaluated on an individual case-by-case basis and not be denied or allowed as a matter of blanket policy. For some, this is a life or death situation and I'd imagine the lawsuits over someone committing suicide in prison due to withheld medical treatments would be far more damaging to the state's coffers than just paying surgical costs in the first place.

Hey, I would have liked to have been born extremely attractive into a wealthy family with a superior body too but this transgender stuff is a little deeper and a lot more complicated than just identity politics.

As long as everyone with mental health issues gets the same amount of treatment, I'm OK with it. If it's a "life or death" situation, there is a lot more to it than just "gender dysphoria" but it's apparent that many in this thread are persistently biased and refuse to see the bigger picture.

Although the topic of reforming our prison system is a discussion for another thread, I must say that it's not fair to give special snowflake treatment to one kind of mental health issue and ignore the others.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join