It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black pastors petition Smithsonian to remove bust of Planned Parenthood founder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
A group of Black Pastors have submitted a "petition" to the Smithsonian Institution "reminding" them that a bust on display of Planned Parenthood founder, Margaret Sanger, may be considered racist and represents an elitist attitude because Sanger apparently was in favor of Black eugenics.

Seems to me the 1st Amendment is in the wind again.

The dilemma could be that both parties have the rights established by the 1st.

Which is more "important" --- the 1st, or the politically correctness ??

Black pastors petition Smithsonian to remove bust of Planned Parenthood founder

The question raised by the above headline is not whether the Smithsonian Institution will comply with the demand in a letter coauthored by a group of black clergymen who call themselves “Ministers Taking a Stand.” It is, rather, what a bust in bronze of Planned Parenthood founder Margaret Sanger is doing in the National Portrait Gallery’s “Struggle for Justice” exhibit in the first place.

As the letter notes, Sanger was a proponent of black eugenics.

Perhaps the Gallery is unaware that Ms. Sanger supported black eugenics, a racist attitude toward black and other minority babies; an elitist attitude toward those she regarded as “the feeble minded;” speaking at rallies of Ku Klux Klan women; and communications with Hitler sympathizers. Also, the notorious “Negro Project” which sought to limit, if not eliminate, black births, was her brainchild. Despite these well documented facts of history, her bust sits proudly in your gallery as a hero of justice. The obvious incongruity is staggering!

Perhaps your institution is a victim of propaganda advanced by those who support abortion….

disclaimer: this is not Obama's fault. Unless the White House has or will comment.

Conspiracies welcome !!!

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Oh FFS....

This is what happens when you empower people to feel and become victimized.

To be victims.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Well, I don't blame them. I would as well.

Birth Control and Racial Betterment
By Margaret Sanger
www.nyu.edu...

www.nyu.edu...^unfit^%20to%20reproduce

In her "Plan for Peace," Sanger outlined her strategy for eradication of those she deemed "feebleminded." Among the steps included in her evil scheme were immigration restrictions; compulsory sterilization; segregation to a lifetime of farm work; etc. Birth Control Review, April 1932, p. 107

“We are paying for, and even submitting to, the dictates of an ever-increasing, unceasingly spawning class of human beings who never should have been born at all.”

– Margaret Sanger. The Pivot of Civilization, 1922, pages 116, 122, and 189.

“Birth control must lead ultimately to a cleaner race.”

– Margaret Sanger. Woman, Morality, and Birth Control. New York: New York Publishing Company, 1922, page 12

edit on 8-8-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I don't care what the Smithsonian does, but I would personally remove it. I have no problem with planned parenthood, but Margaret Sanger was not a good women. Not someone that I want to be representing the values of any institute that I am a part of.

I don't think planned parenthood represents her ideologies. If they want to honor planned parenthood they can find a better way to do so.

edit on 8-8-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Birth Control and Racial Betterment
By Margaret Sanger
www.nyu.edu...

www.nyu.edu...^unfit^%20to%20reproduce

In her "Plan for Peace," Sanger outlined her strategy for eradication of those she deemed "feebleminded." Among the steps included in her evil scheme were immigration restrictions; compulsory sterilization; segregation to a lifetime of farm work; etc. Birth Control Review, April 1932, p. 107

“We are paying for, and even submitting to, the dictates of an ever-increasing, unceasingly spawning class of human beings who never should have been born at all.”

– Margaret Sanger. The Pivot of Civilization, 1922, pages 116, 122, and 189.

“Birth control must lead ultimately to a cleaner race.”

– Margaret Sanger. Woman, Morality, and Birth Control. New York: New York Publishing Company, 1922, page 12

I take it that nobel prize nominee(joke) didnt get the memo on there just being ONE RACE in actualality? ALl these people seperating themselves into "races" when its not true make sme shake my head. They are ETHNICITIES you feeble minded simpletons! sheesh.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

It's a MUSEUM. If it were the confederate flag, should it be removed? Of course not! It's part of history. Neither should be removed from a MUSEUM.

Would you remove the confederate flag, too?

originally posted by: Isurrender73
I don't think planned parenthood represents her ideologies. If they want to honor planned parenthood they can find a better way to do so.

That's probably true, but she IS the founder. Whatever racial issues she had do not extend to the staff and services PP provides to the country today.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

It's a MUSEUM. If it were the confederate flag, should it be removed? Of course not! It's part of history. Neither should be removed from a MUSEUM.

Would you remove the confederate flag, too?

originally posted by: Isurrender73

That's probably true, but she IS the founder. Whatever racial issues she had do not extend to the staff and services PP provides to the country today.

Wait a second didnt you say they should remove th econfererate flag? It was also in a memorial/museum peice too.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

here is a slide show of the people that are included in the National Portrait Gallery’s “Struggle for Justice”.
sanger does not deserve to be portrayed next to these people.

but your right, it is history and maybe should be displayed in a more appropriate section that includes, francis galton,george bernard shaw, h. g. wells and sidney webb;winston churchill ,arthur balfour, alexander graham bell, charles benedict davenport, henry ford , john d. rockefeller,hitler, just to name a few that all endorsed eugenics.

But by 1921, when Sanger founded the Birth Control League, her movement had begun to win adherents in respectable quarters. Adding to her life of controversy is her association with the eugenics movement—which included promotion of forced sterilization for those deemed mentally unfit—a movement that for a time was endorsed by many of the era’s prominent thinkers.
National Portrait Gallery’s “Struggle for Justice”

as in list of prominent thinkers above.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Wait a second didnt you say they should remove th econfererate flag? It was also in a memorial/museum peice too.

Nope. I said I personally didn't think it should be flying at the government building, but what South Carolina decided on that was the state's choice and I was fine with that.

I said it should be in museums, on cars, in people's lawns and homes, etc.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

We can all say where we think it should be displayed or whether we think it should be in the museum at all, but IMO, it's up to the museum if and where they display it. Period. I honestly don't care.

If someone is offended by the presence or the location of the bust, they can petition the museum (as they are apparently doing), but it's not like the legislature of the state (or DC) meets in the Smithsonian to make laws. It shouldn't be on "government buildings", where the laws of the land are developed (just like the flag - and that's my opinion, as a disinterested party), but the freedom to display it ANYWHERE ELSE is up to the people, and should be.

I don't like the whole idea of pressuring someone to do something because someone is offended, even if that someone is me. That's a little too PC for me. But that often happens in a free society. If they pressure the museum enough to get some action, I won't like it, but that's freedom.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

well it is a government run institution, administered by the Government of the United States.
so anyone that is subject of a exhibition, the whole truth about that person should be on display, and placed in the proper context, and exhibit.
they have her own words, and her birth control stance was just a ruse for her racism.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I don't believe in censorship, but I also do NOT believe in re-writing history to further a political talking point of today.

Margaret Sanger was an evil woman, a eugenicist who started her "movement of Planned Parenthood (only for the approved races/ethnicities/faiths--other "non desirables" to literally "die off.")

That so many today (Hillary Clinton for one) claim to "admire" Sanger (and Planned Parenthood gives annually a Sanger Award) is stunningly ignorant of Sangers own words (or perchance just a quiet reaffirmation of Sangers' ideas). Now to place her bust along side MLK is a travesty.

Should the ugly truth of eugenics and Maraget Sanger be exposed--absolutely--and her story should give pause to those today who adamantly support PP. THERE IS SO MUCH OF SANGERS WRITINGS ON THE "UNDESIRABLES" THST IS SO EASY TO FIND!!! Defending Sangers continued "celebration" (via awards in her name, and politicians "admiring" her) is no different than someone defending the Klan and saying "well today they are just a social club."

If the significance of the IMAGERY Stars and Bars is to be told, then the actual words, believes, vision of Maragaret Sanger must ALSO be exposed.

edit on 9-8-2015 by Glinda because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

well it is a government run institution, administered by the Government of the United States.

Do the staff of the museum make laws that affect the population of the US? If not, they don't have to be or appear neutral, IMO.

As I said, we can all say what we THINK should happen, but it's all just noise to me.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Update Flash

Exclusive: Smithsonian Refuses Request from Black Pastors to Remove Bust of Eugenicist Planned Parenthood Founder

The congressionally funded National Portrait Gallery of the Smithsonsian Institution has refused the request from a group of black pastors who asked that it remove a bust of eugenicist Planned Parenthood founder Margaret Sanger from its "Struggle for Justice" exhibit.

In refusing the pastors' request, the Smithsonian conceded Sanger's association with the eugenics movement and declared that it imposes no "moral test" when it honors A

oh well.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   

thats because it didnt fall in line with the progressive ideology

Its only racist if the left says it is!

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I'm not really a huge fan of eugenics and racism, believe it or not.

But this little debacle reminds me of burning books. This museum should not remove the bust, because like it or not, this woman made an historic impact on society. Perhaps they should add a plaque beneath the bust that mentions her involvement in eugenics, if they haven't already.

But to remove the bust is like deleting history.

Better that people know what went down back in the day, rather than just pretend it never happened.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
That's stupid. So what if she was racist??? She's dead now. It's a statue. It still happened in our history and she started Planned Parenthood. What's important is that they don't lie about it and include that in the history of her if it needs to be there.

Hiding history is as bad as rewriting it. You can't change it but you can always learn from it. Unless you're hiding it or have rewritten it, then it serves no good at all.

But it was what it was.
edit on 21-8-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

top topics

join