It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran clones endangered mouflon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
A domestic sheep has given birth to a baby mouflon in a rare successful example of interspecies cloning, according to scientists in Iran.

The wild Isfahan mouflon – or ovis orientalis isphahanica – was cloned by researchers at Iran’s Royan Institute, which is dedicated to reproductive biomedicine and stem cell research, using the domestic sheep as a surrogate mother.

Poaching has driven the Isfahan mouflon close to extinction in Iran. The cloned mouflon, which looks similar to a deer, has been named Maral, a Persian name for a reindeer and for new babies, which means svelte.

www.theguardian.com...

Suprised too much ? here are 2 good articles for ya :

But when it comes to stem cell research, Iran is cutting edge. Iran has some of the most liberal laws on stem cell research. Scientists say the clergy here define life as beginning three months after conception, which gives scientists access to human embryonic stem cells left over from fertilization trials.

Scientists here are testing treatments on mice for everything from heart disease to multiple sclerosis. And they claim to have successfully cloned a sheep last month and that the sheep is still alive. Foreign observers have been invited to verify the claim.

We traveled both to a government run laboratory and a private hospital in Tehran. Men and women were laboring over microscopes and Petri dishes. And all told us things that most scientists in the West would envy. "It's quite open, we can do our work very easily, we don't have any restriction, any problem," one of the country's leading stem cell researchers told me.

edition.cnn.com...

Here is a Pic of Maral :

i.guim.co.uk... 47fd4c35c301a4f088

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: haman10

No doubts about scientific prowess in Iran.

It is a thought to consider, too, how differing legal frameworks affects areas and depths of study reflecting the ethics of nations. What can be done in one place is against the law in another.

Thanks for the info.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
That is absolutely amazing. It will be interesting to see if it survives and if it is able to reproduce with its species. I really had no idea Iran was involved in stem cell research, which is something I believe could solve so many problems/illnesses.

Thanks for posting this, if possible post more of their research results for other illnesses.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9
a reply to: haman10

No doubts about scientific prowess in Iran.

It is a thought to consider, too, how differing legal frameworks affects areas and depths of study reflecting the ethics of nations. What can be done in one place is against the law in another.

Thanks for the info.

Not necessarily based on ethics so much as maybe not having huge multinational pharma corporations dictating what can and cannot be done, in developing new cures and medical processes.

Our own systems and government decisions are run on the assumption of profit before all else. Removal of that factor leaves a much freer market and ability for others to pursue avenues that are not censored by monopolies and stifled by government lobbying, in favour of those with the biggest purse!

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe
That is absolutely amazing. It will be interesting to see if it survives and if it is able to reproduce with its species. I really had no idea Iran was involved in stem cell research, which is something I believe could solve so many problems/illnesses.

Thanks for posting this, if possible post more of their research results for other illnesses.
Of course mate .

previously , Iran had some successful experiences with cloning .

Royana - a lamb that was able to produce a clotting agent for hemophiliac patients - was born in 2006 .

on july 2009 , Iran's first cloned calf - bonyana - was given birth to by a surrogate mother .

on april of the same year 2009 , Iran's first cloned goat was born .

the initial goals of that time were :

1. Producing mamalian embryos using IVF techniques. Royan Institute has already produced different mamals including cow, sheep and goat by this technique.
2. Producing cloned embryos by nuclear transfer from a somatic cell to an oocyte and transfering into the reciepant uterus. Royan Institute produced the first cloned Cow (not alive), Sheep and goat.
3. Production of transgenic Cell lines containing tPA by cuting tPA gene from the human genome and inserting it into the receipant genome. After the cloning procedure a transgenic animal is born which is able to secret tPA in it’s milk.

Added by me :

tPA or tissue plasmin activator is a drug used in myocardial infarctions A.K.A heart attacks to break the clot in heart's coronary system and thus prevent organ damage .

All the objectives were reached , although , unfortunately royana died after only 3 years of life due to liver failure

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
It will be interesting what if any problems this animal has down the road.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
It's completely amazing that we've got to this level in cloning technology. I do like the idea that if something is going extinct, we clone it to preserve its survival.
My only argument though is that certain species go extinct for a reason. Isn't keeping them alive going against nature?

Amazing to see though.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: haman10

1. Producing mamalian embryos using IVF techniques. Royan Institute has already produced different mamals including cow, sheep and goat by this technique.
2. Producing cloned embryos by nucleartransfer from a somatic cell to an oocyte and transfering into the reciepant uterus. Royan Institute produced the first cloned Cow (not alive), Sheep and goat.

So, pretty much what you are saying is you wish to build nuclear bombs to destroy Israel?
edit on 9-8-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-8-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
It's interesting to see just how homogenous all of mankind is in both the desire to push the boundaries of science, as well as the struggles of finding balance in nature.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Lol , yeah you got us brother .

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

originally posted by: haman10

2. Producing cloned embryos by nucleartransfer from a somatic cell to an oocyte and transfering into the reciepant uterus. Royan Institute produced the first cloned Cow (not alive), Sheep and goat.

So, pretty much what you are saying is you wish to build nuclear bombs to destroy Israel?

I am assuming that you are trying to be funny or sarcastic?

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

Your assuming prowess is one to behold, may I counter your assumption with another assumption? I am assuming you are trying to show disdain. Did you know that I like haman and that indeed he got the humor, while you got all hurt and twisted.

Assume less listen more

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
So Iran can clone an endangered species, but can't somehow build a nuclear bomb. North Korea can't feed it's own people and uses computers from the 80's -- but they can build a nuclear bomb.

I wonder how far Iran will go with its biomedicine?
edit on 9-8-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

Your assuming prowess is one to behold, may I counter your assumption with another assumption? I am assuming you are trying to show disdain. Did you know that I like haman and that indeed he got the humor, while you got all hurt and twisted.

Assume less listen more

Woah, easy there fella. I asked a question, thats all.

I certainly did not get hurt and twisted.

Calm down.

Back on topic.

I am not at all surprised Iran is starting to lead the way in many areas of science.

And no. Unlike a lot of uneducated people, I know Iran isn't trying to take over the world. Or bomb it.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
So Iran can clone an endangered species, but can't somehow build a nuclear bomb. North Korea can't feed it's own people and uses computers from the 80's -- but they can build a nuclear bomb.

Come this clearly shows Iran is only 6 months away from the bomb!

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
if they can create them in a lab what else are they able to do with their dna experiments and what else might happen

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroombut can't somehow build a nuclear bomb

I doubt that "can't" make a bomb is the proper word here . more of a "doesn't want" than "is not capable of" .

Iran could bomb whole Iraq to oblivion with it's chemical arsenal when Iraq used chemical bombs against Iran . but we didn
t .

that also was a question of not wanting to do so . Iran is now the chairman of chemical weapon's non-proliferation committee at the UN after choosing not to retaliate in the same brutal and inhumane manner

for ex. if you don't stab someone to death it doesn't neccessarily mean you can't do it - unless you have myodegenerative disorders .

how far Iran will go with it's bio medicine : well i assume there is some hidden meaning behind this question but since eng. is not my first language and i really cannot figure out what you're trying to say here , here is my reply :

for now , our primary goal is to create what you call "spare parts" for humans : producing liver , heart , .... from their own stem cells .

or produce expensive drugs by introducing new genes to mammals and thus derive the drug from their milk ,......

new topics

top topics

join