It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Value of ATS Has Declined Over Time (at least for me)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
When I first joined ATS I was amazed at all of the conspiracies I didn't know and angles I hadn't considered. I had a high learning curve when I began my trip down the rabbit hole. I learned a lot about politics as well. I have become more jaded and less likely to buy into the 'official story' than I was when I first joined. A lot of my opinions and ideas have been tempered and have matured over my time here and I am truly grateful to ATS for that growth.

I suppose the issue I am having now is that I have seen a lot of the same posters post the same crap over and over. I am not learning as much new stuff anymore because in a very real sense I have read so much of it before. There are occasional cool threads on space exploration, new scientific theories or decoding ancient runes, but for the most part so much of ATS is just repackaged political rhetoric or someone attacking someones beliefs in what seems to me to simply be a mean-spirited rant.

Anyway, I don't suppose I am looking for any kind of resolution or anything. I still come her every day and look over the headlines. I still value ATS, but not with the sense of wonder that I had when I first arrived. Now every other thread is about how wonderful Bernie Sanders is or how Trump is challenging the establishment, but really none of it matters.

I guess I am just a grumpy, jaded old coot that is having trouble being surprised anymore. So, moving forward if you want to tell me how great your favorite politician is or why I need to support the cause dujour you will have to excuse me if I am not that impressed.

Carry on, ATS, carry on...

edit on 2015/8/8 by Metallicus because: Spelling Correction

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It's like people just don't like conspiracies anymore.

Too much sensitivity.

Many people are confused.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
ATS is like the stock market, you have to know which threads to buy into and when to cash out in the others.

Doing a little research and reading the entire source content before commenting goes a long way. I feel like many lack the ability to do that.

EDIT: I'm not here to bash or label ATS in a state of anything. Let's just all try and make it a better place.

edit on 8-8-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Could also be the amount of schills posting that makes new members afraid of
posting due to ridicule.

To hell with fears, post what you feel (within TnC rules of course)

fear is just a feeling.

link   

I agree with you. Once awakened to the real world, the excitement of ATS wore off for me too.

But I still see ATS as the best place to get the news.

However, I still enjoy following the Religion and Philosophy forums. And even though it may be just another take on the same spiritual concepts I enjoy hearing about others religious and philosophical journeys.

link   

I am not learning as much new stuff anymore because in a very real sense I have read so much of it before.

Plenty of new people want to hear it for the first time, too. Your eyes are opened doesn't mean everyones is.

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

It's more a social site and political/MSM news site now.
The original purpose has been lost and this is where we are now.

edit on 8/8/15 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Don't forget the endless GOD IS LOVE threads on a daily basis.

That's one reason among many as to why I toned down my involvement.

I guess I might be seen as an old timer of sorts here as I look around but it doesn't seem that long actually. I have seen a lot of changes and it seems to be a steady flow towards being more main stream as that's where the dollars are. Just look at all the adverts. So many lately that my browser has actually started jumping around to accommodate the ads loading.

But I digress.

I joined to be more informed and to surround myself with people who were feeling a certain way. And that would be a waking stage or "I'm not the crazy one, there are more of my kind out there" feeling. It was like finding a home that I wasn't looking for.

Where was I? Oh yeah...damn ADHD

I can't explain it all because as many know the turns and changes have been too many to count. Many like it, many joining daily but also many oldsters leaving. And that's the sad part. But as in anything, make way for the new I guess. If we're not wanted around as much anymore, leave.

I pop in occasionally now and don't spend my time because one or 2 glances a day tells me everything I need to know.

Jude

edit on 8-8-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I find ATS to be a good place to practice disputation. Yes, most of the stories are taken directly from sites like reddit, but the kind of disputation here is unruly, wild, and of a sort that is paramount to learning and personal growth where thinking and ideas are concerned.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Nevermind
edit on 8-8-2015 by jaws1975 because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I USED to be able to find some pretty awesome theories on this site. Now overtime I read something interesting there are 20 people telling him why it can't be possible...

What the actual F$&^ kind of conspiracy site wants to function correctly if every person's ideas are slammed? It doesn't matter what this guys opinions are, he's looking for someone else who thinks the same as him to talk to about this conspiracy. Not looking to get slammed. We should rename this debunk.com because that's ALL a lot of members try to do.

So who gives a # if there really isn't a flying spaghetti monster? I personally cannot say he isn't real strictly because deep down I truly do not know. There could be some mutated monster that looks like a wad of spaghetti lurking in the world somewhere.

Point is, no matter how absurd someone may sound for making a statement, the truth is thats his thought process. He's not looking for correction, he's looking for someone with the same thought process to form an opinion and pursue a conspiracy or mission together with.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Well, we're long time members - what are we doing about it?

I used to have a lot of time to look on the internet and found odd stories I thought ATS might enjoy. I had a few threads in the science forum although I know bog all about science. I just wanted to bring information to people who would appreciate it and might have missed it through not having much time.

Here's what puts me off doing it now:

Either the search facility is rotten or I'm bad at using it. So there's always some smart-ass who can't be wait to be the first to jump in your thread and say the story's already been posted.

There's always someone who wants to look clever by screaming 'Photoshop' so I've had to trawl the net to find another source for the story that they might deem reputable.

There's a limit to how much you're supposed to quote from the article but then people complain that they haven't time to follow a link so they can't get the full story.

If you post a story in the Ancient History Forum someone will complain that 500 years ago isn't ancient enough. Well - there's no Slightly More Recent History Forum.

You want to post pictures taken from some space-faring thingy with a camera? Well, space and the objects in it don't really look like that.

I think that's about it.

Anyone else want to volunteer for the thankless task of bringing information to the ungrateful masses? The OP has dismissed some of today's threads as 'crap' and others seem to agree. How do the people who originated those threads feel to be consigned to the 'crap heap'?

edit on 8-8-2015 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I agree...I have said this a dozen times....ATS has become a copy and paste of main stream media and infowars...with the occasional interesting thread. Most outside the box threads are a bit too crazy. One of the most enjoyable threads ive seen on here in the last several months was actually Skeptic Overlord's Russia Coup thread. It was so much fun again but id wager a good 50% of ATS joined in to bash the thread and a good 25% joined just to kiss SO's Ass. Very few of us were actually finding bits of information to compare.

Ive brought this up before too but I wouldnt mind some forum that only vets can have access too. Where you need X amount of karma/applause/stars or whatever. A good thread there could be shared in a lower forum but id just as much not hear from people that just seem to randomly join say two things and dissapear.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This site has devolved into being mainly a political debating site. MY side is good, YOUR side is bad type threads.

I LOVE Halloween, Crypto and Paranormal threads are what introduced me to this site about 10 years ago. I finally joined in 2011. So I guess we can blame me for the decline since it seems once I joined, everything seemed to turn into arguments instead of discussions

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I burn for 2005.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: jaws1975
a reply to: jude11

It's pretty easy to skip over those if they don't interest you. Why would those be the ones to annoy you as opposed to threads that are mean spirited?

1. When they appear all over the front it's not easy to ignore. ATS being a conspiracy site of sorts has turned into a personal pulpit for many.

2. Mean spirited is just that, mean spirited and I consider the source as the real issue. Do I like it? No. But it is a conspiracy site and a public one.

And discussing religion, the historical, theoretical, significance in our World, whatever.... is one thing but just countless threads of "jesus loves you" should be against the t&c's IMO. They are after all selling something, correct?

And to answer your question...it seems that mean spirited threads might bother you more than the religious threads so I would pose it as each to their own I guess.

"WWJD?"
(what would jude do?)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

It's all politics now. Believe it or not, I like our exchanges...keeping it real!

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: intunewithmyself

Is ATS a discussion board or an agreement board?

You have an idea. I disagree with your idea. Am I not allowed to comment with my disagreement? Should people only comment on things that they agree with?

I'll concede that the manner in which some people engage in debate leaves something to be desired, but I'm fairly certain we're supposed to discuss things here and not just a) stay quiet about our opinions or b) post with "well your spaghetti monster idea sure sounds neat! and then move on.

But maybe I have a weird definition of "discussion."

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
This type of thread appears every 3-4 months on here and has done so ever since I became a member.

We see a lot of repeat threads simply because new people bring their own opinions on certain subjects, particularly the 9/11 forum or UFO forum.

What I tend to do is read through them anyway, if I do not have anything to add, I will not comment. If there is something I feel would be worth adding, then I do.

Very much like now.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: intunewithmyself

Is ATS a discussion board or an agreement board?

You have an idea. I disagree with your idea. Am I not allowed to comment with my disagreement? Should people only comment on things that they agree with?

I'll concede that the manner in which some people engage in debate leaves something to be desired, but I'm fairly certain we're supposed to discuss things here and not just a) stay quiet about our opinions or b) post with "well your spaghetti monster idea sure sounds neat! and then move on.

But maybe I have a weird definition of "discussion."

I don't agree...

Jude

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join