It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unarmed college football player shot by rookie cop

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: retiredTxn
His behavior is absolutely bizarre. Unfortunately it doesn't tell us very much about the actions of the police. Had a bad feeling while watching that things didn't go down exactly as they said. Really want to know which one was the shooter.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
His behavior is completely manic... I can believe he was aggressive. Did he need to be shot for it? Dunno that all happened out of view.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation
His behavior is absolutely bizarre. Unfortunately it doesn't tell us very much about the actions of the police. Had a bad feeling while watching that things didn't go down exactly as they said. Really want to know which one was the shooter.

Yes, very bizarre. In the press conference, the police chief stated the trainee fired 4 shots. A tazer was also used, just nothing on who used it. The chief stated something about officers began surrounding the dealership. Must have been off camera. This is going to be a while to get all the facts and see how they match up to the video from the dealership.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

This is going to be a while to get all the facts and see how they match up to the video from the dealership.

Without video of the shoot we might not ever get all the facts.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

www.gosanangelo.com...

local memorial with a few dozen people

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   

We have had two unarmed white pizza deliver drivers shot to death by black robbers here in the last few months.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
When tragic incidents like this happen the media always play to the on-going narrative that cops are all racist and that they go out everyday looking to kill a black person. This has to stop and the media have an important role to play in ensuring this does. From memory, particularly in recent times, I have not come across a case where a cop has actually been found guilty of murdering a person because of their skin colour.

What frustrates me even more about officer involved deaths is that people, particularly from anti-authority movements will come out and blame the authorities straight away without waiting for tangible facts to be released. Before the surveillance footage was released last night some people thought that Christian Taylor was an innocent person who got shot for no reason and he was shot before he even entered the car dealership. The footage clearly shows him trespassing, appearing to punch a car window, damage the car by jumping on it and kicking it and then driving his SUV through the window of the dealership. He was clearly high on drugs. His behaviour was peculiar. Additionally a quick perusal of his Twitter account will show you he posted a picture with homophobic and racist language on it and other images which could be perceived as Christian making gang signs. Yet people were quite keen to point out he was a good person who believed in God and spoke out about the police. The point I'm trying to make is that people who are killed by police are hoisted into a kind of angelic state; its wrong and needs to stop. Immediately condemning the officers needs to stop too. I honestly do not believe any cop wakes up every morning wanting to go to work and kill someone. The Black Lives Matter movement is full of contradictions. The bigotry and racism shown by the majority of people involved in the movement is astonishing. I can see all of this coming to a head pretty soon.

I think there is an issue with guns that is so far enshrined into American culture that it will be almost impossible to eradicate. I don't know how to solve it - I don't think it ever will be solved. Both cops and civilians are too quick to use their guns rather then other defensive options.
edit on 9-8-2015 by AnonymousTM because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

We have had two unarmed white pizza deliver drivers shot to death by black robbers here in the last few months.

It blows my mind that pizza places still take cash for deliveries.

They should switch to a policy of credit card or check only and make it very well known that their delivery drivers DO NOT CARRY CASH.

When a pizza joint has to offer a reimbursement program for their drivers to buy body armor, there's clearly a problem.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

Gawker now has video of the shooting here. I can't embed nor watch the video due to web restrictions at work so I have no comment at the time.

Here is the article from Gawker on this video:

Last night, a security company released surveillance footage purportedly showing some of the final minutes of Christian Taylor, the Angelo State football player shot and killed by police in Arlington, Texas on Friday.

The new video appears to largely corroborate the police account of the moments preceding Taylor’s death, showing a man wandering around a car dealership lot before crashing a vehicle into its glass showroom, but does not show the shooting itself or the confrontation authorities say provoked it.

According to WFAA, both police and the dealership’s monitoring company have said are no security cameras inside the showroom, only outdoors.

“We are looking at all available video from outside and inside the location to obtain as much information as possible,” said Arlington Police in a statement on Friday. “At this time, investigators have not located any video capturing the shooting.”

At a press conference Saturday night, Arlington Police Chief Will Johnson provided the most complete police account of the Taylor shooting yet. From The New York Times:

Chief Johnson said the police were called to a Classic Buick GMC dealership in Arlington shortly after 1 a.m. Friday, where they found Mr. Taylor “roaming freely” inside the showroom. A Jeep had crashed through the front window.

The officers ordered Mr. Taylor to lie down, and when he fled instead, they chased him. He was found trying to get out of the building through a locked glass door. Chief Johnson said that the two officers struggled with Mr. Taylor and that Officer Miller fired four shots.

Mr. Taylor was struck multiple times, Chief Johnson said, and was declared dead on the scene. Investigators later determined that he had no weapon.

The training officer fired no shots. A Taser was also used against Mr. Taylor, but Chief Johnson said the department had not determined which officer used it or in what sequence the two weapons were used.

At the same press conference, Johnson said he has asked the F.B.I. to help investigate the shooting.

“Our pledge is to provide answers in the most thorough and expeditious manner possible,” said Johnson, acknowledging that “this instance has not occurred in isolation, but rather has occurred as our nation is grappling with the problems of social injustice, inequities, racism and police misconduct.”

edit on 8 9 2015 by SgtHamsandwich because: (no reason given)

edit on 8 9 2015 by SgtHamsandwich because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

There's one camera angle in that clip that I would be interested in seeing played out.

It's the one over the pickup trucks, facing the dealership. It's the angle you can see the deceased drive his Cherokee into the showroom glass on. I would think that angle would show at least SOME portion of the altercation. Unless the guy was back in the offices or something, I suppose.

Thanks for the article.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
UPDATE!

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 5:33 PM CST Updated: Aug 11, 2015 5:33 PM CST
Arlington officer Brad Miller was terminated by Arlington police on Tuesday for his role in the fatal shooting of unarmed teen Christian Taylor.

Arlington Police Chief Will Johnson made the announcement on Tuesday evening at a press conference where he described a detailed timeline of the sequence of events that happened at an Arlington car dealership early Friday morning. Miller shot Taylor four times, killing the teen after he broke into the Classic Buick GMC dealership.

Surveillance video showed Taylor vandalizing several vehicles at the dealership near Collins Street and Interstate 20.

SOURCE

This is after the administrative review, and Miller still faces a criminal investigation.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

The Guardian

Arlington police chief Will Johnson said at a press conference on Tuesday that officer-in-training Brad Miller, 49, acted irresponsibly and broken protocol at several key moments during an encounter early Friday morning with 19-year-old Christian Taylor.

Miller should have waited for his partner, Johnson said Tuesday night. He said Miller’s decision to enter alone was “troubling” in several ways: the officers did not know whether Taylor was alone in the dealership, or whether he was armed. Miller and Wiggens should have simply maintained a perimeter and waited.

As Wiggins approached back corner where Miller stood, Taylor turned away from the locked door and approached the officers rapidly, Johnson said. Wiggins upholstered his taser and heard a “pop,” which he thought was Miller firing his own taser. Instead, it was Miller filing his gun. Wiggins then fired his own taser, while Miller fired three more bullets.

Tragic.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

i am just curious how many cops have been killed in that same time? Seems like pizza delivery guy is more dangerous then LEO>

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
Blah blah, the dead guy was black and unarmed so it must be a racist psychopathic cop, blah blah etc.

These stories with sensational headlines are getting old.

I guess "Adult male criminal assaults police officer while resisting arrest and gets shot by officer defending himself" doesn't have the same ring to it.

is this the one where they fired the cop pretty much the next day? If so I think there is alot more to it than that..

eta see Kali74s post above

eta again.... Some guy is running around Ferguson with a gun we see that video the next day. When it doesnt support the department they take their sweet ass time releasing footage.
edit on 14-8-2015 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

originally posted by: Answer
Blah blah, the dead guy was black and unarmed so it must be a racist psychopathic cop, blah blah etc.

These stories with sensational headlines are getting old.

I guess "Adult male criminal assaults police officer while resisting arrest and gets shot by officer defending himself" doesn't have the same ring to it.

is this the one where they fired the cop pretty much the next day? If so I think there is alot more to it than that..

eta see Kali74s post above

eta again.... Some guy is running around Ferguson with a gun we see that video the next day. When it doesnt support the department they take their sweet ass time releasing footage.

Yep, looks like the officer royally screwed up and I have a feeling that the criminal investigation will not go in his favor. If the information above is correct and the guy was simply coming at the officers, the shooter should have used his taser like the other officer. He used deadly force right off the bat and that was likely the result of his inexperience.

The video footage is often not released until the investigation is over. Considering the propensity for the media to jump to conclusions based on a crappy video clip, I don't blame them for not wanting to release the footage if it even hints that the officer was in the wrong. The media will proclaim his guilt and turn it into 24/7 news before the guy even gets his shot at a fair trial.

My point still stands about sensational headlines before the facts are known, though.
edit on 8/14/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys

After reading about the cop who got pistol whipped, I'm starting to change my tune.

Let's wait to see the evidence before we judge the rookie.

You realize the story of the cop being pistol whipped is being used to manipulate public (white) opinion about cops and police brutality right?

Can I assume you are white and easily manipulated?
edit on 14-8-2015 by WCmutant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: WCmutant

Yes. The one story about a cop getting beaten up will do much to sway public opinion in the face of the countless articles posted nearly every day about cops shooting people or something else along that line.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

As I start reading a story or thread such as this where an "unarmed" individual was shot by the cops, I always want to know a key factor: Was this person at the time doing anything illegal and/or not following the instructions of the cop who, by law, has the authority to give instructions to the individual.

I care not of the age, race or standing in the community of the person. Basically, the question is were they in the wrong and unwilling to comply with simply commands of authority? Everything else is secondary and of no concern to the exact situation and the split second that got them killed. Usually, I need no reason to read further. None compliance in our society and sub cultures are epidemic and that is the real problem. Are these rather senseless acts, a type of "death wish," a martyering coming from so deep of dissatisfactions and wounds in personal psyches across society that it boils out at the slightest of encouragements in a terminal wish of anger and final settlement?

Perhaps that sounds improbable to some of you, but let me provide some insight. As an old gent, there is a saying that I heard long ago and at the time thought it strange. These days, I no longer find it quizzical, but believe I understand it. That saying is simply stated: "Never pick a fight with an old man. He would just as soon kill you."

If you cannot get your head around that, than all I say is that apparently you are neither one of the "lesser" citizens in our society and/or are not elderly. As for who's to responsible for this or that person's death, we should start with understanding basic human nature before we play the blame game.

The establishment is letting this type of behavior happen on purpose and giving it play in the press for a purpose.

This is getting us prepared for UN para-military troops on the streets and a locked down prison-like east-germany-like surveillance state.

NWO: See how dangerous the local police are? They are not trained for using firearms. Only world paramilitary contractors are allowed to be armed. By decree of united global government, Greater North America chapter.

Problem. Reaction. Subversion.
edit on 24-8-2015 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: added content

edit on 24-8-2015 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: removed letter

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

I find this notion impossible. At least, in my lifetime.

Do you think Americans, in general, would give up their 2A rights? Because as it stands, the civilian population of America represents the worlds largest standing army (militia). It would be a very daunting task to forcefully imprison the populace.

Now...tricking the idiots among us into giving it up freely? Thats a whole 'nuther matter.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I have to agree with you BFFT. The police force these days are a subjugating force. Their primary goal is fear. They police with fear. If anyone disagrees you aren't in your right mind.

We have a plethora of laws that allow cops to stop and harass you for anything. That enables fear. The sight of a cop car for many people as they are driving down the road is to immediately check the speed out of... fear.

It's not fear of being shot. For speeding it's fear of being stopped, ticketed, paying an enormous fine, and possibly having your insurance go up. Think about that list of penalties. Not only do you get screwed by the government through fines and court costs, but you get penalized by the insurance company, and you now have a speeding ticket on your record. If you happen to have a job that requires you to drive for a living this might also further affect you.

And we are just talking about simple speeding. Change that to anything else and the fear grows.

If I didn't know any better, I'd begin to wonder if the goal of the system was to keep people down and compliant.

Obedience, it's all they ask. ....slaves!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join