It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unarmed college football player shot by rookie cop

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Well here we go again. A rookie cop in Texas has shot and killed an unarmed black guy.

Police say he was burglarizing a car in a dealership. Cops responded and say a "scuffle" ensued. The rookie (who is 49...seriously?!?) wound up shooting him.

The family is saying the guy was a great person, big future, wasn't doing anything, etc.

This one will be interesting because the department has already said they don't issue body cams and are looking for any surveillance video that may have picked up the event. Given that it's a car dealership I would think that there's gotta be video somewhere.

Right now it's all he said/he said stuff and a guy is dead for who knows why right now.

nydailynews.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

After reading about the cop who got pistol whipped, I'm starting to change my tune.

Let's wait to see the evidence before we judge the rookie.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

After a scuffle, after crashing an SUV through the front window, after midnight?

Doesn't look good for the defense. About that video, no cctv inside the dealership?

hmmm…

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

Yea. Not judging anybody and if I sounded like I was, wasn't my intent. Right now all we have is cops got a burglary call and this guy was in the dealership when they got there, and the guy wound up dead. Beyond that we just have statements right now.

@ intrptr - all the dealerships here have cameras inside and outside, but some of them have a relatively small number and poor quality. Others have top shelf gear. But I can't think of any that don't have at least SOME camera coverage off the top of my head, so I would think there's gotta be something available.

Time will tell I suppose.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

i can't imagine what it would cost to insure a new car dealership that didn't have a camera system.

This guy went to school at a nearby university. My son was born in that town (after our obstetrician moved there mid term). Its a fairly nice town, but with quite a bit of "gang" activity ("gang" because they aren't like MS13 or anything).

Being in Dallas messing with a car dealership right before he reports for 2-a-day's is not exactly conventional behvior. Im interested to see what comes out of this.
edit on 8/8/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

As I start reading a story or thread such as this where an "unarmed" individual was shot by the cops, I always want to know a key factor: Was this person at the time doing anything illegal and/or not following the instructions of the cop who, by law, has the authority to give instructions to the individual.

I care not of the age, race or standing in the community of the person. Basically, the question is were they in the wrong and unwilling to comply with simply commands of authority? Everything else is secondary and of no concern to the exact situation and the split second that got them killed. Usually, I need no reason to read further. None compliance in our society and sub cultures are epidemic and that is the real problem. Are these rather senseless acts, a type of "death wish," a martyering coming from so deep of dissatisfactions and wounds in personal psyches across society that it boils out at the slightest of encouragements in a terminal wish of anger and final settlement?

Perhaps that sounds improbable to some of you, but let me provide some insight. As an old gent, there is a saying that I heard long ago and at the time thought it strange. These days, I no longer find it quizzical, but believe I understand it. That saying is simply stated: "Never pick a fight with an old man. He would just as soon kill you."

If you cannot get your head around that, than all I say is that apparently you are neither one of the "lesser" citizens in our society and/or are not elderly. As for who's to responsible for this or that person's death, we should start with understanding basic human nature before we play the blame game.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Oh wow....so noncompliance is an issue. People need to yield to authority. Obey.

And the cost for not obeying? You get killed.

Sounds kinda dystopian, if you ask me.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Obviously, your urge to reply overcame contemplation.
So be it.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Lets see, a 19 year old off his head on drugs/ booze smashes his car into a shop, gets aggressive and ends up shot and its all some ones eases fault because the kid is black. www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
According to the Washington Post there was a dealership car smashed into the front of the dealership and Taylor was on the scene. A security agency had called the police after seeing someone walking around on the property on camera.

So yes there's footage of something.

Suspect acting aggressively doesn't mean jack squat to anyone anymore, too much video evidence of cops abusing that defense, so it's far from outrageous for people to assume a cop is lying... but it could be true in this case.

Washington Post

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Suspect acting aggressively doesn't mean jack squat to anyone anymore

Ok, how about this?

Police say Taylor’s death stemmed from an incident at a car dealership in Arlington, which is just west of Dallas. Police were summoned to the dealership about 1 a.m. after a security company monitoring the property noticed a figure on a surveillance camera and called 911. Police arrived to find that a vehicle had been driven through the front of the building, police said.

Police confronted Taylor and a fight ensued during which at least one officer discharged his weapon, killing Taylor, police said.

From the source article you just posted.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

Yeah? I posted it for a reason. Did you read my whole post or just the part where I don't automatically defend all cops like you seem to think people should. I also said it could be true in this case.

There's a reason people don't auto-trust cops. If you're trying to change that situation through people like me, you're no where close to the heart of the problem. If you're a cop yourself then I'm truly sorry your feelings are hurt but again the problem wasn't created on the civilian side.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
You conveniently omitted the part indicating the physical altercation. The part you characterized as ''Suspect acting aggressively''.

I simply pointed out an inaccurate, if not disingenuous, part of the post.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

No I didn't... I'm saying that a cop saying it doesn't mean anything anymore.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
They said there was a fight. That's beyond the ambiguous "Suspect acting aggressively".

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Not to me. I'm sorry that you don't like how I feel about cop killings but it is genuinely how I feel. You not liking how I feel doesn't make me disingenuous.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

San Angelo also has an extremely high teenage pregnacy rate.

I am too curious to see where this goes.. A week before he is dead he Tweets that he "doesn't want to die too young"? Get's killed by a 49 year old Rook, 4 months out of the Academy? That part is news in itself, how often does a 49 year old guy even get accepted to the Academy? Arlington is a modern city, not some podunk one horse town..

It all seems so strange.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Not to me. I'm sorry that you don't like how I feel about cop killings but it is genuinely how I feel. You not liking how I feel doesn't make me disingenuous.

Spare me the 'feelings' BS. This isn't about 'feelings'. I don't 'like' killing in general, regardless of who is doing it.

I never said how you feel made you disingenuous. Your words did that.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: wastedown

San Angelo also has an extremely high teenage pregnacy rate.

I am not sure what teen pregnancy has to do with San Angelo... but ok.

While not perfect, San Angelo is far from having the kinds of problems most would expect due to its proximity to the border. Mostly because their police department works hard on its relations with the people. *Generally*

That being said violence is getting worse as it is everywhere at the moment. If it turns out to be true that he fought with the officers and was in the process of that type of burglary then I wouldn't expect the people of San Angelo to do anything more than mourn. Arlington, the metroplex in general, is a very, VERY different animal.

I would say.. the reaction depends on how viral this goes, and what the circumstances turn out to be. Possibly, what (if any) national players decide to bank on this particular tragedy.
edit on 8-8-2015 by akira131 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Local article from the local news site. So people can see what the locals think and are saying.

news...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join