It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Holmes sentenced to life in prison

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   

The Colorado madman who orchestrated a heinous shooting spree inside a packed movie theater in 2012 will be sentenced to life in prison without parole after a jury failed to agree Friday on whether he should get the death penalty.

James Holmes, 28, who killed 12 people and injured 70 others during the massacre, faced death by lethal injection.

The jury’s announcement came after hearing three months of emotional testimony from survivors — some who were left maimed and confined to wheelchairs — and his family, who had pleaded for mercy on his life.

James Holmes sentenced to life in prison

What does everyone think? Should he have gotten the death penalty? It is more expensive to keep someone on death row than it is to keep them locked up for life. Check out the article for more information about the proceedings.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Turns out, it is cheaper to imprison killers for life than to execute them, according to a series of recent surveys. Tens of millions of dollars cheaper, politicians are learning, during a tumbling recession when nearly every state faces job cuts and massive deficits.

USA Today: To execute or not: A question of cost

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   

It's so expensive to execute people cause they are doing it wrong.

How much would it cost to just take them out back of the prison, make them dig a hole, kneel down and shoot them in the head?

In cases such as this where there really is NO question of guilt or possibility that someone else committed the crime, why do we go through all the BS?
When there is ZERO doubt about ones guilt in such a case nothing more than a small hearing and a quick cheap execution is required.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Doesn't matter really, Life in prison is cheaper....Hopefully that life sucks really bad for him...

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

Sorry society is supposed to be better then that.
The death penalty does nothing to stop crime and just makes the country doing it barbaric and backward.
Life is better he will pay for what he has done everyday...easy just taking him outside and shooting him but utterly wrong for any civilized society to do.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

How can there be zero doubt? In any case, everyone is entitled to due process. We are not a backwards nation. There are other things to consider, like the mental health of the patient, for example.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Yup should we put down the mentally ill for crimes? do we put down anyone for being ill?.
Not in my country.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I used to be pro death penalty.

I read something that I'm going to paraphrase that resonated with me.

"We punish someone that kills someone by killing them". It seems a little backwards. I'm not 100% opposed, but I think we should be better than vengeance.

I don't care if it costs more to keep someone locked up for life, that shouldn't be an argument. You don't change your morals because it costs more.

If we say that killing is wrong, but we kill killers, how are we better?

Realize how many people on death row, and those who have been executed were actually innocent. Realize that's just the folks we KNOW about.

There is really no way to be 100% sure someone deserves the ultimate sentence. There is always a question. It seems strange that on a conspiracy website there aren't more questions. Unless I am in the moment, and have to kill someone to protect myself or someone else, how am I to know the person is guilty? Grainy footage? Believing a coroner? Believing a witness (I take witness testimony with a grain of salt and you should too, they're notoriously bad at rememberig what they see). Yeah, I think China exists, but I've never been there and am just taking everyone at their word. There is a sliiiiiiight question if I was asked and had to be entirely honest. Sure it's .000000000000000000000000000000000001 percent doubt, but ANY doubt when taking someone's life is not OK.

People who admit to their crimes sometimes didn't actually commit them. Some people are weak minded, police interrogation isn't perfect, leading questions happen, some people are prone to doing whatever they think an investigator wants them to. Look at torture, it's not a viable form of interrogation because people will say whatever they think they should to make it stop after a certain point.

Anyone that shoots up a theatre full of people is CLEARLY not all there in the head. Mental illness IS an illness. If we say no one in their right mind would shoot a bunch of people, how can we say that someone who does deserves to be killed?

It's incredibly painful and hard to think about what he's done. Vengeance isn't justice, and killing him would only serve to sate a desire for vengeance or to save money. We're better than that.

I agree with the decision because I believe we're better. Sometimes it's incredibly hard to do the right thing.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowLink

It's so expensive to execute people cause they are doing it wrong.

How much would it cost to just take them out back of the prison, make them dig a hole, kneel down and shoot them in the head?

You're in the wrong country, you should be living in North Korea.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I agree 100% with this verdict.

There are five reasons for me agreeing with this too...

1. He has been classified as mentally ill.
Like it or not, you can't just keep moving the goal posts when it suits your lust for vengeance. You have to either accept that mental illness means concessions have to be made, or you deem all those entirely unfit to be culpable for their crimes as guilty to. There is no gray area here, you can't just arbitrarily pick and choose when someone is mentally ill enough to be incapable, or sane enough while mentally ill to be able to be executed.

2. Vengeance is not a valid excuse for execution.
Nothing will be achieved by executing him, execution is not justice it's revenge, and it's idiotic in the extreme.

3. Killing people as punishment for killing people makes you an idiotic society.
Whether people want to accept that or not it's absolutely true. If you think that killing people is an adequate punishment for them having killed people then you are a hypocrite and an idiot, and you're an idiot because...

4. It's an easy and quick way out for them when life in prison might actually make them realize what they did.
The idea here is that the criminal is supposed to be punished. If they are executed before they come to terms with what they did, then they don't experience any remorse or pain for their crime. I would rather see someone like this spend the rest of their life in prison, and have 60 or so years to think about what they did, than kill them and free them from that punishment.

5. Not killing him means decades of psychological research which might one day prevent others from becoming so extreme and mentally irrational.
This guy and others like him should be imprisoned and monitored, studied and mentally picked apart for the rest of his life, in an effort to find out what it was that caused him to behave in the way he did. There are going to be personality traits, behavioral signals, influences to his actions, and we need to know what those were so that we can more appropriately combat the same thought processes in others when those signals are seen. Killing achieves absolutely nothing when so much more could be learned about what makes a person act in such a way.

Can anyone really argue against these points? If you do, I can bet that you're doing so with nothing more than "yeah, but, he killed people and he deserves to die!" - that would be vengeance, not justice.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

If we say that killing is wrong, but we kill killers, how are we better?

Because of the reason behind it.

Overthinking and analyzing something like this just makes it more complicated than it has to be and takes what should be an absolute, and turns it into something subjective.

Ask yourself this.......if someone in that theatre had a gun and killed Holmes after he killed just one instead of 12.......that would mean a killing took place in order to stop more.

Is there something wrong with that? Is that barbaric? I say it's more barbaric to spare the life of someone who puts no value in life.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Oh, and do I even need to mention the fact and reality that police in the US seem to be making it all up as they go along now too? When you have police officers ganging up together to protect their own, it's clear that many involved in the process cannot be counted upon to be telling the truth.

You have cops actively suggesting they should plant evidence after murdering someone, and they KEEP THEIR JOB! Yet people also seem to believe that this system in infallible and that the death penalty is appropriate?

When your system is as f-ed up as it is in the US, from the cops arresting (or just killing) people, to their bosses assisting them in covering things up, to the coroners who probably experience pressure to do the same, to the local politicians held to ransom by Police Unions... you cannot seriously still have any faith in the process of getting someone from the crime scene to the execution chamber.

People need to check out the case of the West Memphis Three. This has been happening for decades, and chances are your country has already executed hundreds of entirely innocent people.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeepImpactX
Overthinking and analyzing something like this just makes it more complicated than it has to be and takes what should be an absolute, and turns it into something subjective.

So your response is "it's too hard to think about this rationally, so lets just kill them!"?

Good to know your legal system isn't quite that idiotic.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013
I agree 100% with this verdict.

Fine, then how about you 100% pay for his incarceration and treatment (which will not work) and be happy with the so called life you saved.

edit on 8-8-2015 by notmyrealname because: so

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

Or you pay for his execution...it would cost more.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I have a solution on how to deal with convicted murderers like that.

First we need an island.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Or you pay for his execution...it would cost more.

Nope:

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Just like the Nazis did eh?.
Makes the society who kills criminals as bad as the killers.
An eye for an eye makes everyone blind.
edit on 8-8-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I think this may happen one day.
Hunger games for crims...thing is you gotta offer one freedom for them to go for it.
Imagine If holmes won?.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Just like the Nazis did eh?.
Makes the society who kills criminals as bad as the killers.
An eye for an eye makes everyone blind.

Look I worked with many brits while in the military; they had sense. What is going on in your side of the pond these days is a joke. Your country is a playpen for everything non-british and you think it is cute. Time will let you know whether my point of view has merit or not.

It is fine to discuss spiritual enlightenment amongst people that think like that. Some people do not nor will ever understand that and those people need a different set of rules. I am sure you will not agree and I am sure that I will still have my mindset.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join