It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman runs marathon "openly" during that time of the month

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

I bet you have a black friend as well . Look , its not about whether things like this still happen , i am sure it does . Does it mean men everywhere are to blame for the stigma attached to menstruation , i think not . You really want to know what we think . Every male i know says thank god we aren't female , we don't judge , we are just thankful we don't have periods , babies and probably a host of other things that don't come to mind ATM . Also be'er sheva is land locked .

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

I bet you have a black friend as well . Look , its not about whether things like this still happen , i am sure it does . Does it mean men everywhere are to blame for the stigma attached to menstruation , i think not . You really want to know what we think . Every male i know says thank god we aren't female , we don't judge , we are just thankful we don't have periods , babies and probably a host of other things that don't come to mind ATM . Also be'er sheva is land locked .

Interesting how you somehow magically connect the dots of my mentioning interesting jewish traditions (alongside with someone else mentioning hindu and indian traditions) with "man-blaming everywhere".

Typical ATS hyperbole.

And so what if Be'er Sheva is landlocked ?
Do you think they don't have mikvehs ?

Do you think mikvehs are natural bodies of water only ?

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   

It's also a part of the Jewish faith.

In fact, women are to be seperated from everyone else and often leave the home during that time of month and go to mikvehs until their menstrual cycle is finished. They are considered impure and unclean during that time,

I was offering a truce , well sort of . But since you persist with . Never mind . Back that statement up . Why not . You cant , oh wait you know jewish people . Blah blah . Something more concrete than a friend or your argument also becomes redundant . You posted false information . Deal with it .

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

I didn't post false information.

You think it's false information because you haven't found it in the few paragraphs you read on the internetz this morning... therefore it can't possible be true, amirite ?

Stop thinking in broad brush generalizations and take into account that some people on ATS might actually have some real world experience on a subject that wasn't just read half an hour ago on the internet.

And yes, I've been to two mikvehs here in Canada as a fun little girly weekend outing (no menstruation involved)... even had my hair and nails done afterwards.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Link . Any link . Post a youtube video and link . Set up a wikibull#e page , a note from your friends , hell even a note from your mum .

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Totally agree with ya. For the price of those pants she could have bought quite a few boxs of plugs and sent them to 3rd world countries. But no, the pants are a mess and no amount of oxy clean will get those stains out.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I'm sorry but, that is just gross! Like most women, I absolutely hate the visit from aunt Flo (evil witch that she is. lol)

It's miserable!

But, I would never walk around looking like that to raise awareness of anything!

Was she not worried about spreading potential blood born pathogens ffs?!

Gross! just nasty gross.

This woman is insane in my opinion.

There has got to be a better way to raise awareness of the issue than this.

I'm going back to bed and pulling the pillow tightly over my head.

What is wrong with people?

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
My first thought was this is attention seeking. However, if she truly is bringing attention to a deficit of hygiene products, then good for her.

But I have to consider the other...... if the problem is in India, then why do this in London? What the heck are Londoners supposed to do about it? Does she want them to send sanitary pads? Wouldn't it have been more appropriate to do it in India?

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Could it have been the greater exposure of London Marathon? Plus she and M.I.A. are British born Indians.

She probably thought it would be like waving a red rag at a bull...

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: alishainwonderland

I am not quite sure if this helped the issue she was attempting to bring light to or not, but I am puzzled at the use of the word "gross" multiple times in responses. I should have hoped people have moved beyond that categorization of it.

It is also a natural thing, not a disease or affliction caused by injury. It simply comes out, with no way to stop it. One has a chance of putting it off a bit until you find a bathroom in regard to other 'fluids'.

Why is it embarrassing? Why should it be a mystery?

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I am not quite sure if this helped the issue she was attempting to bring light to or not, but I am puzzled at the use of the word "gross" multiple times in responses. I should have hoped people have moved beyond that categorization of it.

It is also a natural thing, not a disease or affliction caused by injury. It simply comes out, with no way to stop it. One has a chance of putting it off a bit until you find a bathroom in regard to other 'fluids'.

Why is it embarrassing? Why should it be a mystery?

Because "leaking" all over the place to make a point is Freaking Gross!

Nasty and Gross!

People crap as well. Don't want Mr. or Mrs. Crappy pants ShItting on themselves in public either... why, it is freaking gross.
edit on 8-8-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

It's gross.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

There is a stigma around blood for a reason, anyone freely bleeding like that for any reason should be shamed.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I was reading about this and trying to imagine having the bottle to do it, I don't think that I could, my conditioning on this is so deep that I couldn't even imagine there being enough money in the world to convince me to do it. I think this lady is very brave for confronting the stigma in our culture around this aspect of the reproductive process.

There is nothing dirty about menstruating, that is all in our minds. She is not proposing that we should all bleed freely, just demonstrating that women are compelled to conceal menstruation for fear of social stigma and pretend that all is fine and dandy, that we're sweet smelling creatures that # rainbows, when in actuality, we're only human. Why should we have to maintain that facade? In some societies, the stigma is so great that women are imprisoned while menstruating, not because it is unclean, but because the men in those societies fear women that bleed, and the power that their superstitions give to "Moon Blood" magic. In some societies women are punished for menstruating, and in others punished more severely for concealing it.

We don't seem that far removed, most women appreciate that there is no shame in menstruating, but still consider it shameful to be seen to be menstruating...myself included. I cannot help but admire a woman willing to put herself slam bang in the crossfire, and to do it without building it up, I suspect that had she publicised this widely beforehand, she would not have been permitted to do it.

Very impressed overall.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join