It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Chicago company monitors bathroom breaks: more than 6 minutes a day and you're penalized

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:40 PM
Make them check their cellphones at the door and those breaks would dry up pretty fast IMO. If there is nothing to do in there but use it and leave most folks would be in and out a lot faster. Instead we have people that like to text on their phones, play a bit of candy crush. Etc. and ruins it for everyone else same as always.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:41 PM
Healthy people stay hydrated, and if you are well hydrated then you have to go to the bathroom every couple or few hours. But to have a nanny state in the form of a corporation punish you for doing your normal mammalian duty scrapes the bottom of the barrel even though the barrel has been well scraped lately. Those people should put a stop to this quickly. And if the company president can go to the bathroom at anytime then everyone there should have that privilege (reminds me of the poor store clerks who can't have a chair and have to stand all day - I usually ask them if the store manager has a chair, and that kind of puts it into perspective for them).
edit on 7-8-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:41 PM
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah. We're not going to agree about unions. The death of unions and the death of the middle class go hand in hand more than most realize. All part of the master plan.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:43 PM

originally posted by: Liquesence
I'm shaking my head at this. What is this, middle school in the form of a corporation?

So say the teamsters:

Basically, the company has gotten tired of people spending too much time in the bathroom outside their breaks, and the Teamsters aren't too happy (and they shouldn't be happy).

If you work at WaterSaver Faucet Company, when you gotta go, you might not want to go.

The Chicago company installed a new system that monitors bathroom breaks and penalizes employees who spend more than six minutes a day in the washroom outside their normal breaks.

Oh, ok, it's a War against Unions. Actually, maybe it is:

In December, the union-represented employees had to start swiping their badges to gain access to the washrooms. By March, 19 were disciplined for excessive use, Kreitman said.

The bathroom-monitoring part of the policy was put in place only four days after the union requested paid sick days for its members, Kreitman said.

How DARE you get sick leave.

And wait, what? They now make you swipe you badge so they can *monitor* your bathroom breaks to make sure you don't spend more than 6 minutes TOTAL per day? Does this also apply to non-union employees? Maybe not.

So far, the bathroom rules only apply to the 80 union employees at WaterSaver who work on the production line
I wonder.

But guess what? They REWARD too!

Employees who don't use extra breaks get a dollar a day while others who exceed more than one hour in a 10-day period will get a warning, which can lead to termination, he said.

Hot damn! A whole dollar for not going to the bathroom. And a gold star to boot! And if you're bad? You're FIRED. *Cue Trump soundbite*

It gets better:

A 12-page rule list given to employees is also pretty strict about how to take care of your personal business at the company.

"Place all toilet paper in the toilet and make sure that the toilet is completely flushed," it states. Employees are also told to place paper towels in the trash, refrain from "malicious gossip" and not to "make derogatory or inflammatory comments about the company."

Yep, refrain from talking crap about the company who restricts your bathroom under threat of penalty, too. Who is this company?

How dare you heed your call of nature. That's lost productivity!

[company president] Kersten told the Chicago Tribune last week that excessive bathroom breaks amounted to 120 hours of lost productivity in May.

Of course, the company spokesman says this is not the case, but who would I believe, teamsters ( and I know quite a few) or a shady for-profit corporation?

If you have a diahrea attack, tell your boss! I've had to take a massive you know what, and the toillet stall is occpudied. I leave for a few minutes, then come back...stall is stil occupied.
After some investigation, people were on their smartphones, texting or watching videos while in the process of defecating.

Fix this #!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:46 PM
a reply to: Liquesence

Any worker who would come down with a urinary infection, the runs, food poisoning, or have an irritated bladder is "SCREWED." I would be looking for another job as soon as possible! When I found it, I would walk into the bosses office and give him the middle finger salute!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:49 PM

originally posted by: Liquesence

That's labor law, so it's different, as far as I understand. They *have* to give breaks and lunches. You don't have to take lunch but you can't work.

I guess. but no one enforces that.

The breaks and lunch break were enforced.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:12 PM
This is just down right ridiculous. It takes more than 6min just to take a good dump, wipe your butt, plus wash your hands.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:39 PM
Boycott WaterSaver Faucet Company Spread the word.

These Business People think life is nothing more than Business. Damn them to Hell. Simple Minds

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:47 PM
i guess no added up the numbers,

we'll use what the the union says is lowest pay given, $11 a hour, the company said in may they lost 120 hours due to piss breaks.
$11.00 120 = $1320 a month,$1320x12= $15,840 a year.
now i'm assuming that's just time in the head, not the time it takes to walk to the head or stop and start your station,i don't know how big the plant is and don't know what required in stopping or starting equipment packing or what ever. that time could add up.

now the union says there are 80 employees that work at one company. again taking just head time, if 80 people take 60 mins each inside one 10 day work period 80employeesx60 minutes=4800minutes or 80hrs per 10 day work period, or 160 hrs a month figuring 20days a month of production.

again using the unions lowest pay, 160x$11=$1760, $1760x12=$21,120. as i said i assume that this is just time in the head and not every bit of time involved in going to and from.

and i found out the plant is a pretty big plant, here is a video tour. now i realize there is probably more than one head, even at that it can add up to some time to walk to and from, and that's not talking about what they may be doing on the the way there and back, you know shooting the breeze goofing off you name it.

go to video 3 and 4

it didn't link right, it's a playlist. here is the page link, WaterSaver

edit on 7-8-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-8-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:59 PM
To be fair, more than six minutes a day in the john means you need to adjust your fiber intake. Seriously.

And who gets the fun job of putting a stopwatch on his

What a horrible way to treat your employees.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 10:22 PM
a reply to: Liquesence

If you have a Note from your Doctor that you suffer from severe Constipation , would you get an Appeal , and Maybe get an extra 5 Minutes to Poop ?

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:01 PM
I think that is atrocious to monitor employees bathroom habits.

I guess I have had good jobs compared to theses people. I was a programmer/analyst for a university creating automation and the coding for soil testing. Sometimes I would get tired of coding and go out back and get on a 4 wheeler and ride the fields for an hour or so then go back and code some more. Sometimes I would even work on an antique farm tractor we had out back.

My boss never cared as long as I was making progress.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:10 PM
a reply to: Ultralight

Same thing happens at my shop as well. I don't sweat it much because the smokers have high productivity and a proclivity for actually solving problems, which beats most of the non-smokers, who stand around a lot, talk about Football and whatever was on TV last night.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:25 AM
yea id piss on the floor

as my pop told me in 3rd grade if the teacher wont let u pee... pee on them it worked was never told no again

id be fired in this coompany 1 night of tacobell and id be over my minuts

how the F can u tell me how often i gota pee id sue the hell outa them what if u just gota small blatter

i cant even begin all the things i would do over this

i can imagin tho the fireing part

sir u pee to much ur fired ... ok as i pee on there desk and let them know there bmw is next and its the right time it be brown

just the rage of this idea in general ... yea we got people who chock in go to the bathroom and play on ther ephone for abit but none the less it slides caz what if they had tacobell last night u wana take the risk of cleaning it up

just imagin for a second this is applyed to ur food services u wana clock the guy whos going to make ur food wahsing ur hands is a full min if done bye helth code u want him to skip it

i say apply this rule to there ceos fav resturant let them know there was no time left to wash there hands see how long that last

damm number puntching aholes making rules for something they have never done pisses me off
they should all try a week in there worker shoes bet they wouldent like being told when to piss ether

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:29 AM
All who replied just so you know this is quite the norm in call centers. All those places that have high call volumes especially on those peak days unless you have a break and meals programmed into your schedule sit down and take a call. Just to see how it went at others I had to google search.

So now that it seems to be happening elsewhere things are started to come into limelight; but as Ketsuko stated it's generally because someone is on their phone at times and ruins it for all sadly. Not condoning it just stating that most of the time it can usually happen because of those individuals

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:53 AM
If someone was monitoring my bathroom breaks, they would be the ones being penalised. Fact.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:53 AM
a reply to: HeroicWrath

There used to be a joke email that did the rounds about this back in the early 90's, so my question is this real or just that email doing the rounds again?

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 04:09 AM
I used to use the bathroom just to get away from the insanity of production work.
The tedium would literally drive me insane so instead of throwing tools or strangling a manager I'd check in the washroom for a couple.
Bathroom breaks save lives.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 06:32 AM
I have no problem with the concept of the policy, simply the extreme application of it. I also have a problem with the 6 minute concept.

For example, I hardly ever go to the bathroom at work, use breaks when possible.

I worked at a job that had a 10 minute maximum per time. (Which is a fair amount of time for a person, UNLESS it's a bathroom emergency of the kind we've all had) and I knew of several people who went like 10 times/day, but each time was under the limit per time. Meanwhile I and others who pretty much never go, end up having those rare situations where one gets stuck for a good 15 - 20 minutes.

So I and others who never went like ever get in trouble for the rare event, while half the plant would go on several potty breaks each every single day.

So first if one is going to have a policy like theirs it should (x minutes per work week) and should be a reasonable number for an entire week.
edit on 8/8/2015 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 06:36 AM
A few bad apples always ruin it for everyone else. They haven't done anything like this where I work but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

For those of us that don't abuse our bathroom breaks it gets very frustrating. When the guy I work with turns his 15 minute break into a 25 minute break EVERY DAY and then takes two more 30 minute breaks every day at the same time somebody has to pick up the slack.

We all give him hell about it. In 2 years he hasn't changed. Sometimes a supervisor says something to him and he'll ease up for a week or so until they stop watching, then its back to the same old thing.

So, yeah I agree. This bathroom monitoring is childish and absurd, but I still think a lot of people bring this on themselves.
edit on 8-8-2015 by zombicide83 because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1    3  4 >>