It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First batch of Exoplanet Common Names to Be Announced Next Week! (And a personal "thank you".)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I think if they find planets orbiting Ceti Alpha (or, as the International Astronomical Union would call it, Alpha Ceti, α Cet, or α Ceti), I think they need to call one of them Ceti Alpha V...or is it Ceti Alpha VI?

Oh well -- there isn't much of a difference between calling it Ceti Alpha V as opposed to Ceti Alpha VI -- right, Khan?

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar
If I did have a TV show in 20 years I'd just hope you would all treat me more kindly than some of you treat Neil de Grasse Tyson. I met him and he's very intelligent and sweet guy. BTW: He was not the one to demote Pluto to dwarf planet status. astronomer Mike Brown. was!

Haha! Try telling that to Dr. Rodney McKay.

Anyway, I agree with you. I think Neil DeGrasse Tyson has a lot of good ideas. I wish more people would listen to him.
edit on 11-8-2015 by Junkheap because: Fixed it.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

I haven't been very vocal on ATS the last few months but there is a select few on here who I always take time to read. Your in that pack of members. Thank you for your contributions to our site. As a member who has taken a couple of hiatus from ATS I can say with confidence " You'll be back ."

I appreciate all the info, news, articles and stories you've done. As some one who wishes they could go back and choose a different career path astrobiology would be my #1 choice. Your thread on lifeforms on other planets was a true ATS masterpiece.

Best of luck Jade, see you around.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Great presentation! And very thorough as always, jade star

I'm very excited about this, as I am one of those ill-informed citizens who cannot currently distinguish between the more scientific names. Can't wait to see the prevailing names!

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I've just done an internet search for the names selected for the exoplanets, which were to be announced yesterday. Nothing found, so far.
Good Fortune, JadeStar, in all your endeavors!

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ross 54
I've just done an internet search for the names selected for the exoplanets, which were to be announced yesterday. Nothing found, so far.
Good Fortune, JadeStar, in all your endeavors!

Article and information about the voting:
IAU's NameExoWorlds contest

Voting Form:
Vote Now -- NameExoWorlds

edit on 8/13/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I'm sorry I missed this thread. Congratulations Jade, and the very best of luck to you! I know you will do well in all your endeavors.

Keep looking to the stars!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join