It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart's Goodbye

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: jimmyx

I never trust anyone with two first names.

so let's see.....then you don't trust....ron paul...chris Christie...rick perry...Lindsey graham...marco Rubio...ted cruz...ben carson

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I cried big ugly tears from start to finish and I'm a little choked up even now writing this.

#JonVoyage indeed.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I'm really going to miss him. He's how I ended or started my day for a long, long time.

Glad he got out though...seems like the right move for him, as he said it was getting more and more depressing to keep up with what was going on in this country day in and day out.

P.S. I shed a tear or two too.

And Bruce at the end...well that was great. Was half expecting to see the Mets come out too.

I liked this from Salon...kind of sums it all up...

For the last decade and a half, Stewart and The Daily Show have acted like a kind of national sewage treatment plant, taking the most fetid, dishonest, and polarizing aspects of our public discourse and filtering them into something that is, at least, entertaining. After getting The Daily Show treatment, rancorous, hypocritical political bile may still be outrageous and offensive, but at least you can dip your toes in it.

edit on 8/7/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Did anyone notice there was something weird about Colbert's ear's?

I had to watch that part twice because I kept trying to figure out why they were so off.

Was it my imagination?

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Remember: Stewart's early shows weren't that great. It wasn't until after 9/11 he really started to hit his stride. Wilmore is just getting his show together, I'd give him a few years still before he really catches his stride.

Every comedian has their own style. Stewart found his and was immensely successful at it, while Colbert also found a good style for himself. John Oliver is pretty similar to John Stewart. I think Comedy Central is initially pressuring their replacements to be the same, rather than letting the comedian do what fits naturally. Like you said, it took John Stewart a while before he really found what worked.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Good riddance. Now go away and never come back again!

Stay gone, and or be gone. You lost all your LA privileges. Lmao! ~$heopleNation
edit on 7-8-2015 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I'm curious to see how Colbert's style is going to translate to the Late Show. And I'll give Trevor an even shot.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
Someone will pick up cape to keep fighting the good fight. *fingers crossed*

I thought on George Carlins interview with Jon ""...and you are going to show us a lot and I look forward to it."

What good fight is that? Attacking conservatives and supporting whatever flavor the democrats are offering this week? He schmoozes with a variety of liberal politicians and then people claim he is some unbiased truth-teller. He isn't. He is a shill for democrats in the same way fox news personalities are shills for conservatives.

Oh, but he makes fun of democrats some times! Sure does. They actually say bad things about republican politicians on fox too.

I used to love Stewart and the daily show, but he has just become nothing but a puppet of the left all the while claiming to be above all the BS. You mention Carlin, I've seen almost everything Carlin has even put on tape and nowhere did he ever behave the way Stewart does. Carlin was on another level. A real level. He called real BS on everything. Stewart just makes funnies with democrats and then paints conservatives as vile beasts. He is deep in the muck of politics, to the point it's effecting his brain.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: SheopleNation
Good riddance. Now go away and never come back again!

Stay gone, and or be gone. You lost all your LA privileges. Lmao! ~$heopleNation

You just made me think of something!

Stewart is the democrat's gimp.

He sits and laughs while his masters rape us.

It's actually a very fitting comparison I think.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

He did the "Sam" thing to Jon's "Frodo."

Colbert can recite Lord of the Rings by heart.....

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I only discovered the show last year and have not seen his last show yet (tmr) but I sure will miss him.
I have learnt a lot about the USA from his show.
Good luck to all future endeavors dude.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Don't deny that this happens on every political thread and both side do it.

Yep, they do!! I won't deny it.

The gop debate was full of idiots.

Yes, and......???

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: James1982

Sounds like you never watched the show.

Because he never claimed to be unbiased, above it all, or a truth teller. He isn't Carlin and didn't try to be, of which I am glad.

He was funny and had his own style. A lot of times his sarcasm got to the truth of the matter but he never ever claimed to be above the BS. He actually claimed he made his living off of the BS.

I can't tell if you are out of touch or just bitter.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

but he has just become nothing but a puppet of the left all the while claiming to be above all the BS.

No, he's not a puppet.

You mention Carlin, I've seen almost everything Carlin has even put on tape and nowhere did he ever behave the way Stewart does. Carlin was on another level. A real level. He called real BS on everything.

Just like Jon.

Stewart just makes funnies with democrats and then paints conservatives as vile beasts.

And "spot on" with both.

He is deep in the muck of politics, to the point it's effecting his brain.

No. Wrong. No star for you, sorry.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Agreed. At first I didn't think he'd make it. Rolling Stone this week does a small article on Stewart, and in it they kind of explain what the turning point was for him. It wasn't 9/11 either. It was before that, but 9/11 was when he really hit it.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Agreed. At first I didn't think he'd make it. Rolling Stone this week does a small article on Stewart, and in it they kind of explain what the turning point was for him. It wasn't 9/11 either. It was before that, but 9/11 was when he really hit it.
Interestingly, this thread has made me recall the somber week or two of post-9/11 Daily Show coverage with as much clarity as I remember 9/11 itself.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Because he never claimed to be unbiased, above it all, or a truth teller. He isn't Carlin and didn't try to be, of which I am glad.

He was funny and had his own style. A lot of times his sarcasm got to the truth of the matter but he never ever claimed to be above the BS. He actually claimed he made his living off of the BS.

A lot of what Jon said, and why he criticized news networks is that he wasn't delivering the news, he spent his entire career saying it's pathetic that he's one of America's most trusted newsmen. He's a comedian, he's not supposed to be unbiased. The news is supposed to be held to a higher standard, but they considered themselves on par with him. That was the core of his complaint.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
All of my impoverished and illiterate acquaintances used Facebook and Jon Stewart for their "news". One of these people literally sawed off a tree branch that he was sitting on. So I never gave much attention to Stewart due to the audience he drew.

But one time I found a clip on him talking about Israel in a joking manner, which none dare do on any MSM network.

I spent hours watching his clips over the weeks after that. It was such good parody and satire. I then worried if people actually thought all of his points were serious sometimes, or perhaps they missed the satire and took it for fact (which many of the aforementioned acquaintances did), but in the end his content was enjoyable for all levels of awareness. I think he conveyed the dry messages of MSM in an interesting way that brought smiles to a rather stoic or frowning world. That is a great talent and way to teach people, even if they misunderstand. He at least brought some level of global awareness and "news" into people's lives who would not have it otherwise.

I'll miss him just a bit, and know now many will be more clueless than ever before without him.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Jon was a genius.

He was not only smart and funny, he attacked all BS no matter where it came from.

It's a sad day, indeed.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

I watched the show religiously for years. Sounds like you didn't read my post, I didn't say he claimed to be unbiased, I said other people claim him to be several things that he is not. And other replies in this thread have proven my point, some people seem to think he is some unbiased truth teller when he is nothing of the sort.

Although I guess that just depends on what you feel to be the truth, personally I feel the truth is that around 95% of people involved in high level politics are psychopathic creeps and as close as a non-religious person would describe as pure evil who should be treated with disdain, and that their level of repugnance is evenly distributed across party lines. Apparently Stewart and some here believe otherwise and differences occur.

I guess our disagreement isn't as much about Stewart as it is about the truth of our situation so there isn't much point in going on any further as that's getting pretty off-topic really. Have a nice day hip person.

edit on 7-8-2015 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join