It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart's Goodbye

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Why is Fox news even mentioned in this farewell to Jon post?

Really people?

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: jimmyx

I never trust anyone with two first names.

lolz

1. Jon

2. Stewart

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Really people?

'Cause, Jade Helm.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: Kali74

Yeah, John Oliver is pretty damned good, too!!

Stephen has had a few little clips as he revs up for the late show -

but still - losing the Daily Show and The Colbert Report both makes me sad. Larry Wilmore (Gilmore?) didn't pass the audition for me as Colbert's replacement.

I agree. Larry's show just isn't funny to me. I like some of the topics he discusses, but it's just not the same.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

lolz

1. Jon

2. Stewart

Thinking the same thing...hehe

1. Hilary

2. Clinton
edit on 7-8-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
I was going to post the same thing, glad you did instead. I was weepy 2 minutes in, occasionally pissed (that it is over) and then weepy again.

Thanks Jon, you are right up there in All Time Great TV Shows. Happy Retirement/Next Move and Health to you and your Family. And thanks for the many laughs, they will be hard to come by from now on.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

1. Jon

2. Stewart

1. Abraham

2. Lincoln
edit on 7-8-2015 by ugmold because: typo

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

a reply to: Bluntone22

It was "news." Has been "news". And not just for Millennials.

Maybe a has been that never was.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

No.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

But, Fox also knows comedy -- and it's ironic that on their other Fox networks they poke fun at conservatives constantly.

Exactly!!! That's what I'm saying!! "Bob's Burgers", "Family Guy", "American Dad"....(wait for it)....

"THE SIMPSONS"!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

a reply to: MystikMushroom

But, Fox also knows comedy -- and it's ironic that on their other Fox networks they poke fun at conservatives constantly.

Exactly!!! That's what I'm saying!! "Bob's Burgers", "Family Guy", "American Dad"....(wait for it)....

"THE SIMPSONS"!!!!!!

American Dad can go away anytime and the Simpsons should have stopped a few years ago.
But family guy and Bob are great. Beefsquach!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Really people?

Fox News is one of the reasons he left, that's why.

“Honestly, it was a combination of the limitations of my brain and a format that is geared towards following an increasingly redundant process, which is our political process. I was just thinking, ‘Are there other ways to skin this cat?’ And, beyond that, it would be nice to be home when my little elves get home from school, occasionally.”

He has a 10-year-old son, Nathan, and a nine-year-old daughter, Maggie; Stewart and his wife, Tracey, have been married for almost as long as he’s been doing the show, after Stewart proposed to her via a crossword puzzle.

If anything, it was the prospect of the upcoming US election that pushed him to leave the show. “I’d covered an election four times, and it didn’t appear that there was going to be anything wildly different about this one,” he says.
www.theguardian.com...

Also, here's a link to a video about what he has to say about Fox News.
The Best of Jon Stewart Taking On Fox News

Yet, I've wondered for a while now - how is it that Fox shows things like "The Simpsons", "Bob's Burgers", etc. but their "news" programming is so right wing?

(I think I might have even made a thread about it some time ago......)

Anyway, at the very least, where Fox is obviously duplicitous in that tactic, CC is pretty much straight-forward.

/shrug
Just a thought.

ETA: Here it is! The link I was looking for:

WEDNESDAY , JUL 15, 2015 05:00 AM CDT
Fox News wore Jon Stewart down: How 16 years of debunking right-wing lies exhausted the last honest man

Stewart is stepping aside because he's exhausted by our petty, dangerous politics. Now we're really screwed

If you are feeling withdrawal after the first week of Jon Stewart’s two-week break from “The Daily Show,” then consider how you will feel after his run ends on Aug. 6.

As he explained on July 2 before vacation, he is off for two weeks only to come back for a three-week sprint to the finish.

Ever since he announced in February that he was stepping down, many of us have wondered how our dysfunctional political and media culture will operate without the hard-hitting satire he has offered us for over 16 years.

There is little doubt that Stewart has not just played a role as a powerful public intellectual able to critique the media and politicians when we need it most; he has also redefined satire in an era when most media and politics already seem like a farce.

edit on 8/7/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I said good by to Jon about two years ago. Having watched the program from 99 on, I could just take no more of his insightful eye, his laser wit and his spot on understanding of the world.

All to often I would cry because what he was saying was all so clear to me yet I would then come on to ATS and find so many who just dismissed him and the perspectives he presented.

As a beacon, I can think of none finer than him. Hopefully he held on long enough, encouraged enough minds to openness that the messages will continue.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Fox News is one of the reasons he left, that's why.

Fox news has been nothing but comic fodder for him, and then him and Bill are buds... go figure..

I guess the far left of MSN and CNN is OK... BTW I do not like Fox news... Hannity is the worst of the bunch though...can't stand him...

edit on 7-8-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

All to often I would cry because what he was saying was all so clear to me yet I would then come on to ATS and find so many who just dismissed him and the perspectives he presented.

As a beacon, I can think of none finer than him. Hopefully he held on long enough, encouraged enough minds to openness that the messages will continue.

Hopefully.

hug to you. I know how you feel.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

a reply to: Bluntone22

Makes no difference.
FOX news is a joke, (a sickening one, and not news, and not funny either), but then they also have Bob's Burgers, Family Guy, American Dad, etc.

speaking of FOX, after last night, and seeing her on FOX....I think blond Megan Kelly would make the perfect..."shemale of the Nazi SS....dress her up in black leather, a SS cap, leather high-heel boots, and a leather whip.........uhmm, sorry, got carried away there for a moment.

Yep, you carried me away there also Jimmy

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Fox news has been nothing but comic fodder for him

But then him and Bill are buds... go figure...

Yeah, that's one of my curiosities....(I saw the 'debate' between them last year or whenever).

But anyway - Jon Stewart DOES dis Fox News, and he's one of the reasons that so many refer to it as FAUX NEWS.

I have a bumper sticker that says: Fox News (with their logo) Brainwash, Rinse, and Spin.

I DID have one that said "Stewart/Colbert 2012", but that car died.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Hmmm. I don't see CNN as "far left". MSNBC, yes - obviously. But FOX is, well, far-right-wing drivel. And they have the nerve to do The Simpsons and Bob's Burgers!!! What the-----------?!!!!

Yeah, Hannity makes me gag.

OTOH, Nancy Grace (CNN sister channel HLN) also makes me retch and I want to slap her.

edit on 8/7/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Naww.

Fox is slightly left of center.

It's all about the authoritarianism.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Yea look how giddy Roger Ailes is that Stewart stepped down.

Fox's Roger Ailes: Jon Stewart is 'disappointed' he couldn't beat me

“He’s a brilliant comedian. He’s actually a very nice guy, and I saw him with his kids on the street. He’s a good father,” Ailes said. Stewart would even be welcome to join Fox News, he told THR–as a stage hand.

The Fox chief presented mostly bemused disinterest in Stewart: “As he faces the end of his career, he’s beginning to wonder: ‘Is this as popular as I’m ever going to get? Is this as much power as I’ll ever have? The one person I could never get rid of was Roger Ailes. I tried. I did everything I could.’ This was all a plea to his lefty friends. I think he’s disappointed that he didn’t accomplish that goal, and we, of course, supplied him with half of his comedy. It’s just a matter of disappointment.”

And, if you ask Ailes, he won—by Ailes’ metrics, anyway. “Fox News beats him on the amount of money we make, on ratings and on popularity. I’m sure it’s very depressing when he sits home at night and worries about it. We never did.”

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join