It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart's Goodbye

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Yeah, I was going to watch the GOP debacle last night, but I fell asleep before it got started. Figured I'd watch the highlights and ATS activity today for that. (Which I did...Thanks to ChiefD for the thread, btw)

But I missed The Daily Show's finale also - just finished watching it, and my cheeks are tear-stained now....

Jon Stewart has been a staple part of my household since he first started. I am very and sincerely sad that we are losing another one of the most sensible, sane, and important news shows (satire or not, I, like millions of people, got most of my news from The Daily Show - it has been the only way I can really stomach any of it). Funny as hell in a very sad way that it was the same night as the three-ringer "Fox" debate.

Some of you, I know, don't have cable. Sad as it is that without cable, or an internet connection, people can't watch it.
So, I thought I'd just post a link to it here.
(Was surprised to see no thread about Jon Stewart's final show - so: here you go, Our moment of Zen)

August 6, 2015 - Jon Stewart's Final Episode

He does discuss the debate a little bit at the beginning....
but the rest of show is a tribute to 16.5 years of comic relief while dealing with the insanity that is the USA.

Bon voyage, Jon.
edit on 8/7/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

It really says something about the news in the country when the best source of news you can get is a satirical program that makes fun of real news... Jon, you will be missed.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
His "salient point":

Bull$#!t is everywhere. Stay vigilant.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Someone will pick up cape to keep fighting the good fight. *fingers crossed*

I thought on George Carlins interview with Jon ""...and you are going to show us a lot and I look forward to it."

edit on 7-8-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I'm looking now to see if there is a viewer-count for either of them; nothing that I found yet, but don't know where to look, really.

So - ATS - which did you watch (if either)? Did you watch both? A Fox news spectacle, or a Comedy Central special (arch-rivals, in case you didn't know).
Would be interesting to "poll" our members to see how many watched which, or both - cast your vote now!
(Or, "fess up", whatever you want to call it.)

edit on 8/7/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: LOL! I typed 'witch' instead of 'which' - evidence of how kerfuffled I am.

For the record: I DID watch the debate highlights before watching the full episode of TDS.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Bernie Sanders won the GOP debate on Twitter.

Smacked them rich corrupt folk around a it

"Bernie Sanders ✔@BernieSanders
What I'm hearing so far: tax breaks for the rich, more people losing health insurance and more talk about war. This is not what we need."
"Bernie Sanders ✔@BernieSanders
The very rich get richer, everyone else poorer. And Republicans who take campaign money from billionaires have nothing significant to say."

more tweets here :
www.boston.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
A huge void will be left but he definitely has passed on his legacy to others... I think especially with John Oliver.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I recommend John Oliver Last week tonight to fill the JS void. Actually I like the JO Last week tonight format better as they don't have to pander to advertisers.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Heh, i started watching John Stewart after making Stephen Colbert a must watch.

And like someone already said, i found it ironic that they educated you more and better than those that run the mainstream media outlets.

Seeya John.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I'm sure it won't be long before someone comes in here and says that Stewart was a biased, satirical propaganda mouthpiece, who excelled at "dividing" our great country (I find that's the new conservative BS catchphrase, divide).

I'm sorry, but he was actually pretty good at calling out Democrats and Independents too.

It was also worth noting that Stewart was actually friends with Bill O'Riley - they had some kind of weird love/hate relationship. Their charity debate they did was hilarious. Some of the interviews he did really put the people on the spot -- and he'd ask the questions I think they deserved to be asked. He asked some hard questions....

I've always said ... it's a sad state of affairs when I get my comedy from the news, and my news from comedy.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Yeah, John Oliver is pretty damned good, too!!

Stephen has had a few little clips as he revs up for the late show -

but still - losing the Daily Show and The Colbert Report both makes me sad. Larry Wilmore (Gilmore?) didn't pass the audition for me as Colbert's replacement.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Remember: Stewart's early shows weren't that great. It wasn't until after 9/11 he really started to hit his stride. Wilmore is just getting his show together, I'd give him a few years still before he really catches his stride.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

LOL!!! Classic!!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Bernie Sanders won the GOP debate on Twitter.

I'm not a tweeter, but it doesn't surprise me one tiny bit.

What a joke the GOP candidates are.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Oh no's!
Where will millennial ' s get their "news" now?

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I'll give him a chance. John Oliver had it right out of the gate.

It was SO COOL to see all the people who got their start on Jon's show

Kristin Schaal (Louise on Bob's Burgers)
Steve Carell (everyone knows who he is! I've been binge watching The Office - didn't realize that Ed Helms - who plays Andy -was a Jon Stewart apprentice either!)

And of course, toward the end of the 'guests' arriving - STEPHEN!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I'm a Baby Boomer, pal.
Thankfully, I exposed my kids (who are Millennials) to Stewart and Colbert when they were preteens. They're in their mid 20s now.

booya

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Oop! And THERE it is, Mystik!!!!

You win!!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I watched both the "debate" (if you can call whatever the hell that was a debate) and Stewart's last show.

I had to watch Stewart to being my IQ back to normal after that...whatever the hell it was on Fox.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Right?

I was just talking to my mom a bit ago....she said she had to turn off the "debate" - it made her nauseated.....

We started talking about politics (obvi), and she mentioned Elizabeth Warren and said she hoped Warren would run. I told her she said she won't, but possibly she might be Sanders' VP running mate.....

she said, "THAT would be AWESOME!"

And I said, "almost as good as the Stewart/Colbert ticket!" (which we both had bumper stickers for) from last time.

GO BERNIE!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join