It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A man , his shed and the International Space Station

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   
The man is Adrian Lane, his shed resides in the county of Gloucestershire England and for 45 seconds he struck up a conversation with the crew of the ISS as it sped past at 17,500 mph.

Mr Lane is an amateur radio enthusiast who had spent a month trying to get in touch with the space-faring humans when toward the end of his 4 minute window of opportunity he received a reply from an astronaut aboard the station.

He said: "They came back to me and said, 'Receiving you - welcome aboard the International Space Station'."

"It was a very hectic time on the bands, people were trying hard to get through," he said.
"So, I just sat back and waited until the main stream calling had died down a little bit and gave them a call and they came back to me."
With the "adrenaline pumping", Mr Lane said he had to think of a response fast because "these guys are moving away from you all the time".
"I asked him what the stars looked like from up there and he came back to me and said with no atmosphere up here the stars are really bright," he said.
"But he told me when you look down on earth it's something else - it's just a mass of colour where everything else up here is black."
Although Mr Lane said he had been "really chuffed", he said it was "a shame it was over so quickly".
"It's quite an achievement, especially when you consider he's flying over the top of me at 17,500 mph," he said.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Adrian Lane pictured at Mission Control Gloucestershire.

Well done him , and a big salute to them , sounds like the chaps up there were happy enough with a bit of chit chat with the radio ham.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Ground control to major Tom . I would imagine it would be a radio hams wet dream come true . Can i say that . Sure i can .
edit on 7-8-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 05:28 AM
link   
"Hams" will be the go to people when the big switch gets thrown, they know all the freqs and can get in touch with people (a)round the world to find out whats going on. Look at dudes comm set up on the shelf behind his head…

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
WOW!!!
Who doesn't dream of talking to an astronaut???

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78
An astronauts wife?

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
As someone who has rarely missed when it passes overhead and who regularly gets out of bed at 3-4 am to watch it..i am extremely impressed and just a little bit jealous

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Cool rig, I bet that was fun for a few minutes. HAM radio is cool, to bad there are so damned many regulations on it. I am not paying some stuffed suit a trash bag full of money so I can use a radio. I will just quietly collect parts and then when SHTF I wont need no stinking license.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Aww what a great story. I'm chuffed for him !

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Bully for him. Really awesome that he was able to connect. I still find it amazing that we have technology such that we can communicate instantaneously with people all over the world.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

Bully for him. Really awesome that he was able to connect. I still find it amazing that we have technology such that we can communicate instantaneously with people all over the world.

Or that can carry people at 25,000MPH in space round the earth every 90 mins

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: sycomix
Cool rig, I bet that was fun for a few minutes. HAM radio is cool, to bad there are so damned many regulations on it. I am not paying some stuffed suit a trash bag full of money so I can use a radio. I will just quietly collect parts and then when SHTF I wont need no stinking license.

What kind of regulations?

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

Actually I find it disheartening that space exploration hasn't really gone forward as much as it could have in the last 40 years. In my lifetime I had hoped we would either have built a manned observatory/science center on the moon or at the very least an unmanned station there as a way point for journeys to Mars or beyond.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Actually I find it disheartening that space exploration hasn't really gone forward as much as it could have in the last 40 years. In my lifetime I had hoped we would either have built a manned observatory/science center on the moon or at the very least an unmanned station there as a way point for journeys to Mars or beyond.

I know what you mean. And its depressing to think that if we had spent all the money we spent on wars on space exploration we would be far far more ahead than we are now.

That being said. We DID just visit pluto and land on a comet.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I know what you mean. And its depressing to think that if we had spent all the money we spent on wars on space exploration we would be far far more ahead than we are now.

That being said. We DID just visit pluto and land on a comet.

I agree and those are monumental achievements. However if we could throw a few trillion dollars into space exploration, we could certainly have done much more. Imagine an unmanned station on the moon with robots printing and assembling launch vehicles, with shuttles (not necessarily the space shuttle) ferrying personnel to the moon for long term studies. (I mean we know how near 0G affects the human body...but how drastic is the difference when it's 1/6G? How about studies concerning the generation of artificial gravity for long term space bound voyages?

I just like to think we could rise above all the killing (pun intended) and be that nation that says..."Hey, let's see what we can do to make our situation better." Instead we are inventing insect sized drones that can asassinate other human beings.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: sycomix

What kind of regulations?

Here's some info on regulations and requirements etc. Ham Study

Off topic but I find it quite ironic that for instance the 'Oath Keepers' are so against government, yet the first thing they want you to do is go get your HAM license. The FCC came about because it's part of United Nations agenda.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Hello. It's the I S S calling. Are we reaching?

See, he keeps hanging up.

new topics

top topics

join