It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPDATE: Murder charges against Albuquerque cops who killed James Boyd move forward

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Many of you may recall that terrible video of Mr.Boyd being ran down in cold blood. Well good news ,He may see justice yet .

A motion to dismiss murder charges against two Albuquerque police officers who killed a mentally ill homeless man was denied as the criminal case continues. A body camera captured the killing of James Boyd. Under the judge’s denial, Albuquerque police officer Dominique Perez and former detective Keith Sandy are facing second-degree murder charges for the fatal shooting of Boyd in the Sandia foothills in March 2014. Boyd was killed after a stand-off that lasted almost three hours.

I was not aware the standoff was 3hrs , I am going to have to check on that .

“In this case it is clear the shooting officers intended to shoot and kill James Matthew Boyd, so it is more proper to be in front of a jury with a second-degree murder charge than on a charge such as involuntary manslaughter,” said Kennedy, who negotiated a $5 million wrongful death settlement between the city and Boyd’s family.

The defense argued there was no evidence showing that police officers Perez and Sandy didn’t act like “reasonable” police officers when they shot Boyd, and there was no evidence that Boyd had surrendered, according to the Albuquerque Journal. Police body camera footage, however, shows Boyd had gathered his belongings and agreed to walk down the slope where he was camping illegally. Officer Sandy threw a stun grenade near him, Officer Richard Ingram shot him with a Taser and a police K-9 was sicced on Boyd, who suffered from schizophrenia. Seconds later, after Boyd pulled out his knives, Perez and Sandy shot him.

Yours Truly RT

As the article states , it is clear that they brought the fight to Mr. Boyd in a way that constituted him the right to defend himself.

I would really like to see justice for Boyd , Some of you might say "his family got 5mil , that's justice " No amount of money can be put on a life .

Just saying ..

Thoughts ?

Kap

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

I would really like to see justice for Boyd , Some of you might say "his family got 5mil , that's justice " No amount of money can be put on a life .

I'm glad justice for this man appears to be progressing.

But why should his family be entitled to 5 million in compensation? The dude was mentally ill and in pain and his family just left him to rot out in the cold. They weren't prepared to deal with the hassle his issues, bur were obviously happy to claim the compensation when he gets murdered by the police... seems extremely selfish to me.

The 5 million would of been better spent being donated to homeless people, who are dealing with a mental illness and have been abandoned by there families, within the local community........ Screw society, its a complete enigma to me!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Like another person suggested his family don't seem to be entitled to any cash monies considering they did not seem to care for the poor Man in life to a suitable fashion. End of the day its the Police responsible i wish to see imprisoned regarding the atrocity of murdering a vulnerable member of society.

Hopefully they do some hard time, make lots and lots of new friends inside, and end up walking somewhat bow legged with there farts sounding like a whisper in the wind. Then again chance would be a fine thing indeed.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Like another person suggested his family don't seem to be entitled to any cash monies considering they did not seem to care for the poor Man in life to a suitable fashion. End of the day its the Police responsible i wish to see imprisoned regarding the atrocity of murdering a vulnerable member of society.

Hopefully they do some hard time, make lots and lots of new friends inside, and end up walking somewhat bow legged with there farts sounding like a whisper in the wind. Then again chance would be a fine thing indeed.

I am with you , But in the family's defense we can't assume anything because we simply don't know the circumstances , He did suffer from mental issues .

The only thing I really care about is seeing justice be served.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Having a loved one with a mental illness is a tough job, but you love them none the less. Some people are just wired differently, and more times than not these types of people chose to withdraw from family and society. The demands for being normal can be very overwhelming so they hide away from the expectations that they know they can never meet. And it is most unfortunate that those with authority see them as nothing more than target practice.

I think that the family should receive the money.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

I agree that it doesn't seem right that the family should get rich off of this tragedy. But, money is speech, according to SCOTUS. And, money is the only thing that will hurt enough to make the changes that seem to be needed.

That being said, I would like to see a good portion of that money, if awarded, go to police training programs, rather than to "police tragedy lottery winners".

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

I agree that it doesn't seem right that the family should get rich off of this tragedy. But, money is speech, according to SCOTUS. And, money is the only thing that will hurt enough to make the changes that seem to be needed.

That being said, I would like to see a good portion of that money, if awarded, go to police training programs, rather than to "police tragedy lottery winners".

As I see it, the problem is not so much to whom the money goes, but rather, from where it comes. It doesn't come from the murderous cop. It comes from insurance. That's not much of a push for fundamental change. Why not have these claims paid from the relevant police pension fund. That puts pressure on the cops in the department to police their own since their future depends on it. It might breach the blue wall of silence. We can't depend on the good nature or conscience of these pigs. They have neither. It has to hurt.

top topics

join