It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

of Gods and earthquakes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Thousands of years ago people thought that natural disasters like earthquakes, floods, tidal waves and the likes were the result of gods who existed in a supernatural realm unaccessible to men with powers far beyond men.

Today, instead of that, people are saying that these disasters are caused by 'mother earth' trying, exerting a will, trying, to get ride of or punish humanity.
The more things change the more they stay the same no?

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I don't think it is the same. We just realize that today, Mother Earth is a living spirit, and she does balance things out. It's all about balance.

We have no way if the Earth can punish humanity, that is an individual thing, but we do see that balance does affect humans in some way.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This is precisely my point, its not known that 'mother earth' is a living thing with a will and a spirit or conciousness and is aware of man's existence, let alone what in particular man is doing. In the past, it was atributed to unknown nearly unfathomable causes, today, the same.

I am not particularly trying to 'criticize' the idea, but I do find it notable.

I mean, we know what the mechanics of earthquakes are, generally, and understand what waves in water are and how the two are related, but there is still this tendency to think of it in greater terms, such as the planet being angry with us or such.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Hey in ancient time Comets brought tidings of doom and distruction. And this year is a record for naked eye comets.

BUT of course I don't believe that my statment above was pure sarcasam even though it is true.

Right now was have comet Machholz reaching ever brighter magnitude
skyandtelescope.com...

top topics

join