It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The official ATS GOP debate discussion

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: xpert11
I think the polls will remain unchanged after the debate.

I think Carly will definitely move up to the top 4-5. I saw a map on TV this morning, showing people's search of the candidates' names after the first debate. Louisiana googled Bobby Jindal the most (don't they know who he is?), Alaska googled Rick Perry the most, and ALL 48 other states googled Carly Fiorina the most. As far as I can tell, people liked her because she called Hillary a liar. Carly's one to watch. I don't like her, but I think a lot of Republicans will.

I thought Kasich did REALLY well in the main debate. He won, IMO. And I like him, even though I disagree with him on the usual issues. He's the governor of Ohio and could be instrumental in winning his state, as either pres or vice. I think whomever wins the nom, may choose Kasich as VP for that reason.

I am still not convinced that Jeb Bush heart is in it at all. I still think he is running because of his family name.

Definitely agree! I think Jeb will take a nosedive in the polls because he just wasn't "into it".

Rand Paul shows promise as a future leader in the Senate (he may not want to be a presidential candidate.)

It true, and too bad he won't make it in this run... I both agree with him and disagree, but I like his passion for the Bill of Rights.

The GOP should have culled the field of the nobodies and Wannabe like Christie and focused getting its house of cards in order.

Absolutely! They should have had 6 people instead of 10. Carson, Huckabee, Christie and maybe Rubio should have stayed home. Cruz gives me the willies, but I know he's got a strong Tea Party following. Scott Walker scares me and I think he's going to drop in the polls along with Jeb.

Donald was the buffoon, as usual and as expected. He thinks refraining from calling women "fat pigs, slobs, and disgusting animals" is just political correctness... Way to win the women over, Donald! LOL!

originally posted by: LDragonFire
Cruz, kucinich, Carson, should have just stayed home.

Kucinich DID stay home.
Sorry.

edit on 8/7/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I thought Kasich did REALLY well in the main debate.

If I was going to lay money, I'd go big on Kasich being the VP candidate. No republican can win without taking Ohio. Now they could take Ohio and still lose, but not taking Ohio is practically guaranteeing a GOP loss.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright
If I was going to lay money, I'd go big on Kasich being the VP candidate. No republican can win without taking Ohio. Now they could take Ohio and still lose, but not taking Ohio is practically guaranteeing a GOP loss.

I just added that to my post before I saw yours, because the idea occurred to me when I heard his reception. His state apparently loves him. 60% Approval Rating

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I don't dislike him. In fact, dunDun DUNNNNNN...

There wasn't a person on the stage last night I wouldn't vote for over Hillary.

Most impressive for me in the first debate was Martha MacCallum, but unfortunately she's not running.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

There wasn't a person on the stage last night I wouldn't vote for over Hillary.

I totally understand that! I feel the same about a couple of them. But I REALLY hope I don't have to make that choice. I may just stay home.

Most impressive for me in the first debate was Martha MacCallum, but unfortunately she's not running.

Imagine that! A beautiful, blonde FOX news host! LOL!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I'm sure you've seen my various diatribes on that

Find SOMEONE you can vote for, even if it's a third party who doesn't stand a chance. Much better to register a 'protest' vote for a non-factor, than surrender to hopeless apathy.

IMO.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I think the reason that Jeb seems so disinterested, is because he knows he is already the GOP nominee and the whole "debate" was a sham.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Imagine that! A beautiful, blonde FOX news host! LOL!

Yes I'm just that shallow.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Yeah, there's no way I'd stay home, even if I write-in Bernie, but I HAVE to vote for Congress and ballot measures.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Fact Checkers are having a field day today...

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Yes they are.

What I found most interesting about last night's debate was how Trump deflected a question about his flip-flopping on issues, by invoking the name of the conservative god himself.....Ronald Reagan.

All you have to do is mention his name and the debate is over. Whomever does so wins automatically.

Rather sad actually.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I was interested in seeing how we all voted back in the ATS 2015 Straw Poll... Here is how some of last night's participants did.

Rand Paul 27%
None of the Above 23%
Ted Cruz 9%
Scott walker 3.5%
Donald Trump 3.3%
Jeb Bush 2%

I hope ATS does another poll mid-2016 to see how it changes again!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Christie basically stated a person doesn't get their 4th rights. Only die hard fear suckers should want that to continue as the norm.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Ya I was pretty shocked he stood up there and said what he said.
He lobbed rand a soft ball on that one.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Trump threw out the 'every business is going bankrupt in Atlantic City'. I imagine Christie appreciated that one.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

That means Bush will be the next President !!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I thought Kasich did REALLY well in the main debate. He won, IMO. And I like him, even though I disagree with him on the usual issues. He's the governor of Ohio and could be instrumental in winning his state, as either pres or vice. I think whomever wins the nom, may choose Kasich as VP for that reason.

I'm in Ohio, the first time Kasich won he didn't get over 50% of the vote, the second time he got 51%. I don't know how instrumental he would be in winning Ohio. Opinions of him are very split, then again a presidential run gets a lot more coverage than running for governor so opinions can change.

He has a a pretty big liability to in that he was one of the bankers that caused the 2008 crash, and took bailout money as a bonus.
edit on 7-8-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Should be called the VP debate.

The Candidate was decided years ago.

Also, every time I see one of these debates.

It takes me a full hour to remember it has already been decided.

Even if it wasn't, we got that whole Electoral College slide of hand.
edit on 7-8-2015 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I watched the debate live last night and then listened to the 'junior debate' on youtube this morning. Some here at ATS have expressed the belief that it is rigged and this is all theatrics. I, for the most part believe that to be true. Setting that belief aside, I tried listening with an open mind.

Before the debate started my partner said "Someone has to be the attack dog during this debate. Wonder who that will be?" I didn't think much about it until Rand Paul came storming out of the gate with the first question. It was interesting watching him go after Trump and Christie. While I liked some of what he said, I didn't like the smirk he had after both encounters. Not very Presidential, IMO.

Sooooo ... Let's just get this outta the way now. Trump. Let's just be upfront and honest about what happened. A lot of the questions were designed to 'poke the bear' and see if he would react. To be fair, if he can't keep his cool and respond appropriately, would you really want him in the Oval Office? He sounded mean spirited in some of his responses and I wish his attempt to look earnest looked less like a scowl. I'm not fond of PC BS but there is a difference between PC and politeness. You can speak your mind without being impolite.

Cruz just scares me. Even though I view myself as a conservative Christian, he scares me. I listen to his words and it sounds okay but, watching him makes me think of a zealot.

Rubio did very well but, I can't take him seriously. I watched him run for the Senate as a conservative. He got to Washington and almost immediately became a RINO.

Carson. I like him but he is out of his depth. He isn't a politician, which is good in some ways. I can't see him standing up to other world leaders, though. His summary statement was wonderfully funny, but he would be eaten alive internationally, IMO.

Christie just turned me off. He is perfectly okay with violating the Constitution. His statement of that fact was cringe worthy. He should never be allowed near the Oval Office.

Jeb was just bland, to me as was Walker. Kasich, I don't know much about except what he said last night. He sounds good in some respects but, what politician doesn't? I guess I'd like to see more of him and get a better idea where he stands on some issues.

Huckabee had a few good lines. He caught my attention with his idea of a consumption tax. Not sure if it would work and I'd be interested to hear more thoughts on that idea.

I didn't actually watch the 'junior debate' but, listened to it. My impression was Fiorina did really well. Every time Graham spoke all I could imagine was Dana Carvey doing his impression of Bush Sr. I couldn't get that image out of my head long enough to even hear his actual words. My partner liked Gilmore. The rest faded into background noise for me.

Keep in mind, I believe this is all theatrics for the masses. But, if I were to believe in the process this would be my impression of what I saw last night.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
It's a ridiculous waste of time money and resources to start any debating or campaigning until maybe 3 months before the election. The endless churn of the never-ending election cycle is good for only one thing...to make someone or many someones money. So yeah, I didn't watch and I won't.

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25 >>

join