It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA releases new pics and video of ceres bright spots

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Wanted to share this new video from NASA

Was this what anyone expected? I feel so unsatisfied.. The pyramid looking thing is kinds cool.

Striking 3-D detail highlights a towering mountain, the brightest spots and other features on dwarf planet Ceres in a new video from NASA's Dawn mission.

A prominent mountain with bright streaks on its steep slopes is especially fascinating to scientists. The peak's shape has been likened to a cone or a pyramid. It appears to be about 4 miles (6 kilometers) high, with respect to the surface around it, according to the latest estimates. This means the mountain has about the same elevation as Mount McKinley in Denali National Park, Alaska, the highest point in North America.

"This mountain is among the tallest features we've seen on Ceres to date," said Dawn science team member Paul Schenk, a geologist at the Lunar and Planetary Institute, Houston. "It's unusual that it's not associated with a crater. Why is it sitting in the middle of nowhere? We don't know yet, but we may find out with closer observations."

Also puzzling is the famous Occator (oh-KAH-tor) crater, home to Ceres' brightest spots. A new animation simulates the experience of a close flyover of this area. The crater takes its name from the Roman agriculture deity of harrowing, a method of pulverizing and smoothing soil.

www.nasa.gov...
edit on 6-8-2015 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-8-2015 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Is anyone else as let down as I am?

edit on 6-8-2015 by bananashooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter

yes

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
So they still don't know what the bright spots are?
Think I'll wait until Dawn gets closer, what ever they tell us will be bull# anyway.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I'd rather see the real photo's, but the animation is cool I guess. But at least they got the pyramid out the way before someone could scream aliens. However, I still think they hiding something though. We'll see how many high res photos we get in regards to this area as they get closer.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Cool video.

Loved the stereographic 3d animation at the end.
I keep a pair of glasses around just for that reason.

s&f

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
They're keeping the best photos for themselves for now, in hopes of being the first ones to discover and anounce the nature of the bright spots.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Why do they always give us the black and white photos?

To think they only have black n white photos in this day and age is a direct insult to us
and shows they are still controlling, as much as they can, which is whatever they want basically, any and all information passed down to us.

And let's not forget the quality. Time was taking MUCH better photos than these back in the 1920's and video was in color on D-Day and bit before.

For NASA always to release these types of photos is unacceptable.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

This is what happens when you expect fairy tales instead of science.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneNationUnder

To think they only have black n white photos in this day and age is a direct insult to us
and shows they are still controlling, as much as they can, which is whatever they want basically, any and all information passed down to us.

And let's not forget the quality. Time was taking MUCH better photos than these back in the 1920's and video was in color on D-Day and bit before.

Do people not realize that photographs are not really science? The vast majority of what happens on board a space probe orbiting another world is not data from the visible spectrum. Photos are nice to look at, but they are not what scientists use to study the composition of the surface. Spectrographic data is far more valuable, and far less interesting to look at.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

What fairy tale did you think I expected. So Its unscientific to believe there could be other intelligent life out there? I just wanted to see something, anything.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AshOnMyTomatoes

Do people not realize that photographs are not really science? The vast majority of what happens on board a space probe orbiting another world is not data from the visible spectrum. Photos are nice to look at, but they are not what scientists use to study the composition of the surface. Spectrographic data is far more valuable, and far less interesting to look at.

You gotta cut people some slack we are not all doctorates in astrophysics.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: AshOnMyTomatoes

You gotta cut people some slack we are not all doctorates in astrophysics.
You gotta cut the astrophysicists some slack. They didn't spend millions of dollars and years of work to produce a bunch of pretty pictures.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

What fairy tale did you think I expected. So Its unscientific to believe there could be other intelligent life out there? I just wanted to see something, anything.
We're seeing things we've never seen before. Just because it's not a sci-fi novel doesn't make it not interesting.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: OneNationUnder

In addition to the other reply, B&W can be more useful for providing detail at a given resolution.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I doubt any of them hang out on CrayTS. So I don't think they will even read our gripes.

Plus I don't care about some boring article about how salt formed on a planetoid. I want aliens! I wan't aliens!
Not little bacteria aliens, real aliens, I want to live a in a scifi.
Call me a child if you want, but I am don'e with this rock.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   
The heading needs to be changed to: "NASA releases more CGI."

I can't wait 'til NASA shows us something that WASN'T made on a computer...
edit on 7-8-2015 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
+1 for sanity points

Dinosaurs.. aliens...

I'm just glad the crazy stuff can be over now.

Until the next planet/moon..

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

NASA announced that starting June 30, DAWN would start releasing high-resolution, close-up images of Ceres, particularly the bright spot. It's now August 7 and still no close-up, high-res images. Before June 30, NASA was releasing images almost daily.

Next NASA mentions 'haze' on the bright spot. It's not illogical to surmise then that NASA may be withholding the high-res, close-up images of the Ceres bright spot. The mention of 'haze' may give them cover if they release still-blurred out images of the bright spot hiding detail. The bottom line is, it will be very difficult for NASA to continue to withhold the Ceres close-up, high-res bright spot images with a credible explanation other than the fact they've found something and they don't want the public to know.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter
Don't worry, any minute now someone will be along to claim everything NASA puts out is faked and there IS in fact a super intelligent race of beings living there just waiting to attack!
On a side note, I agree that quality photos and video may not provide the the most scientific evidence, but it it garners the public interest this can only be a good thing for NASA and its funding for the next mission.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join