It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Co2 levels are not going down.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Sheesh, why are you trying to badger people to "confess" some random stuff?

I was in the middle of explaining how forcing works according to AGW model, and with no reason you just slashed out at me, accusing me of being some sly snake.

You know what I think? I think someone needs a hug.

edit on 7-8-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

originally posted by: mbkennel
The people who do it for a living look over hundreds of different data sets measuring related but not identical physical parameters, not one, processed different ways, and they check all the assumptions and technical details.

This is an ad verecundiam (appeal to authority) logical fallacy.

An appeal to authority logical fallacy would be, "Governor Schwarzennegger was elected by 30 million people so we should believe him over you."

When one appeals to authority in areas where the authority is justifiably authoritative, in the intellectual sense of correctness and not power, that is not a fallacy but wisdom.

There are no subjects of human endeavor outside physical science and mathematics where the opinions of even well-intentioned laymen are less valuable and useful.

I'm not going to tell Shin Mochizuki or Terry Tao that they are wrong about research-level mathematics because of some problem set I worked out in 20 minutes.

And I'm not going to tell a cardiac surgeon that he's doing heart transplants wrong because of something I read on some hippie's blog.

On that topic - you claimed earlier that ocean could not release CO2 when warmed, because said oceans are actually getting more acid.

There is always an interchange as it's a dynamical chemical process, but net the oceans are absorbing carbon which was emitted from the mining & burning of fossil fuels, and are not a contributor to the secular change in atmospheric CO2 in the industrial period.

I'm not saying that the ocean "could not release CO2 when warmed"---that's a theoretical hypothetical---but "it is taking in more CO2 than it is releasing in its current condition, despite getting warmer"---which is an observational fact.

-As you no doubt know, carbonic acid is created by the combination of CO2 with water. Since CO2 takes liquid phase at an extremely low temperature, on Earth CO2 can hardly exist in any other form than gas - hence, carbonic acid is extremely unstable and will quickly separate back into H2O+CO2. Your claim that oceans cannot emit CO2 during forcing is proving to be quite extraordinary. I agree that pressure can help trapping the CO2 in the deep, but this mechanism would fail for the surface water. Could you elaborate?

I know more about physics than chemistry so I can't elaborate in greater detail, but the observational fact that oceans are getting more acidic shows that there's a reaction balance between dissolved CO2 and carbonic acid and free CO2 which maintains an acidity level, and as you increase carbon it becomes more acidic.

-I do think that there is a thing called acidic rain. Perhaps the CO2 emitted by the ocean gets into the atmosphere, and, from there, precipitated along with water back into the ocean during rainfalls, compensating the ocean's loss of acidity? After all, oceans do cover quite a large area of the Earth.

CO2 going back into the atmosphere is not acidic. That's only in the ocean. I think the acid in acid rain (sulfuric acid?) comes from tropospheric sulfur pollution: coal plants mostly.

In any case, acid rain occurred near human civilization, not in the remote wilderness; if it had been from ocean effects it would have been seen globally and eternally, and it wasn't.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel

I'm not saying that the ocean "could not release CO2 when warmed"---that's a theoretical hypothetical---but "it is taking in more CO2 than it is releasing in its current condition, despite getting warmer"---which is an observational fact.

A sensible reply. Makes more sense indeed.

I think the acid in acid rain (sulfuric acid?) comes from tropospheric sulfur pollution: coal plants mostly.

In any case, acid rain occurred near human civilization, not in the remote wilderness; if it had been from ocean effects it would have been seen globally and eternally, and it wasn't.

You make a good point, thanks for bringing it up! I'll dig deeper, I do believe you are right.

edit on 7-8-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Pretty good interview. We must spend allot of resources as he said for example finding a way to get co2 out of atmosphere, like some kind of a new Manhattan project. We still spend crazy amounts and research on defense, just shows how backwards we still are, almost zero funding goes for finding solutions solving this problem while this is our greatest threat really for surviving & for many other species on this planet.
edit on 8-8-2015 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

That's basically cherry picking also you can change numbers on the left side of a graph which even though still shows the same data but looking way different.
Just look at recent graphs with a longer time line for example.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join