It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Russia hacks Pentagon computers: NBC, citing sources

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=19664957]FamCore

Officials have said no classified networks were penetrated (but would they admit it if they were?)

good point.

waiting to see how this develops.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Am I missing something here? Shutting down your internet seems to be a defensive act, certainly not an aggressive one.

I suspect all governments are attacking each other's cyber defences all the time its spying - add to that little blend hackers and the world goes round.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

unless they have someone on the inside already - but I guess they wouldn't be "hackers" at that point

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Yeah, that would be a spy. And to get connected to these networks you must have a clearance which means a background check has been done. Now, personnel could be somehow be turned into spies with bribes or extortion but usually if you have a clearance your credit is watched and from to time to time you may have to undergo a lie detector test.

But hackers cannot access classified networks.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Very true - from what I have heard from immediate family is that the 'secured' network was totally unaffected. Granted they have a higher clearance than I do so if there were classified issues such as some of the theories here (i.e. someone on the inside hacking the secured network) then I wouldn't be privy to that info.

It sounds like someone probably clicked on a spear-fishing link in an email or social media. Blows my mind that people that work there have access to social media and personal emails. I work in a much less secure environment and all that stuff is firewalled...

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

Well everyone has access to NIPRNET but the admins can block any websites they want, which usually includes social media like Facebook.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Almost immediately after the cyberattack was detected the Pentagon took the aggressive step of shutting down the entire Joint Staff unclassified email system and Internet during its investigation.

How is shutting down the system an "aggressive step" , unless because it's the Pentagon everything they do is aggressive

China hacks America , Russia hacks America , America hacks Russia and China , they're all as bad as each other.

What's bad about hacking, really? It seems a rather tame sort of "attack" compared to, you know, actually hurting anyone in any real physical way.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

On a good note, we can sleep tonight knowing that Hillarys email servers are safe in her basement.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It can't be that "sophisticated" if they already know about it.

The truly sophisticated hacks aren't known about until much has been lost, perhaps years down the track. ...Just ask Lockheed Martin / China's J-31 pilots!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I been wondering why didint EU countries whom learned that USA have been spying their governments, make sanctions against USA? Obvious reason could be that they do not dare to do such a thing?

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Question is, is it "Russia" (plural) doing this in some sanctioned fashion? Or some curious rogue hacker FROM Russia doing it?
edit on 7-8-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
"It was clearly the work of a state actor."
Hillary's team did it to hide the E-mails.

edit on 7-8-2015 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: kloejen
First the White House, and now the Pentagon .. LoL

'Accusing Russia is now a sport': Putin aide debunks CNN report on Russians hacking White House

link

It is a finger pointing game. How can they be absolutely sure it's "state-sponsored"?
And why would a state use computers initiating the attack from their home country? Are they really that daft?

Yeah...a finger pointing game. Guess which finger Putin just gave our corrupt government.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join