It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers discover humongous structure one-ninth the size of the observable universe

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I really needed a good laugh tonight--thank you!

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I don't really see how this object could possibly be 1/9th the size of the observable universe if we cannot even see it in the sky. So it's 9 galaxies clustered together... each galaxy would then be 1/9/9th the size of the observable universe? Doesn't seem right to me... but in any case a cluster of 9 galaxies would still appear to go against the standard model of inflation. Just another reason in the long line of reasons why the singularity-inflation model is wrong.
edit on 6/8/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
did they just say they can identify mega clusters of galaxies and there are nine of them?

And they are mutually gravitationally depended? That's what meant to mean 'connected'?

thank you

D0.
edit on 6-8-2015 by darkorange because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: yulka
a reply to: neo96

If i told you theology and Science was once the one and the same.

This is what is gonna be worshiped as a deity. Its called the Navagraha.

The monotheistic ways of a dogma is over. Science is god.

Actually, that is just a rehash of many early sects that used to worship "The Word". "The Word" in this sense was all of the facts, qualities, characteristics, and formulas that exist in Nature. It was the belief that all of these formulas & qualities had to have been perfected before the universe could come into being. For example, it would be impossible for hydrogen's interactions with other other elements to have evolved over time. The universe wouldn't exist as it is if it had.

Other examples would be that gravity & all of its properties had to have been perfected before the universe was created. And the properties of every element (and their interactions with other elements) would have had to be worked out & perfected before the Universe could be created, too. The same goes with magnetism & every other component of Nature.

Many different religions believed that God (or their deities) created something equivalent to "The Word" before creating the Universe. That's the whole argument between Christian theologists who debate Christ being "The Word" given flesh. Other sects believe it was the Angels (or their equivalent) who created & perfected "The Word"/ the rules of Nature. Many other sects (particularly occult sects) didn't believe in any deity & instead focused on their version of "The Word" by itself. Today's version of that is the "science only" crowd, though they apparently don't know this. But remember something, much of Western natural sciences came from the Babylonian sciences. This isn't a coincidence.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: VegHead

Interesting find OP

OUT OF BOX...

If somethings EXIST there could they be in observational view and or Contact of / with what is going on here, with the LOCAL CREATOR Creation Energy Groups?
When considering Higher level type CREATOR Creation Civilizations.
1 wonders

AS ABOVE SO IS BELOW
It seems?

NAMASTE*******

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
I don't really see how this object could possibly be 1/9th the size of the observable universe if we cannot even see it in the sky. So it's 9 galaxies clustered together... each galaxy would then be 1/9/9th the size of the observable universe? Doesn't seem right to me... but in any case a cluster of 9 galaxies would still appear to go against the standard model of inflation. Just another reason in the long line of reasons why the singularity-inflation model is wrong.

If we think of it like that, a galaxy shouldn't be counted either. Since it's just a cluster of separate rocks, separate stars, and their satellites. And each "solar system" shouldn't be counted either since it's just a cluster of separate rocks orbiting a separate star.

Not saying you're wrong. Just that being linked together by gravity seems to be the key to these classifications, since that would make the "separate" objects move together as if they were "one". And that's probably why the space between each galaxy is also counted as part of the overall structure; just as the relatively empty space been our planets is still counted when determining how big our solar system is.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: EA006

Im not a believer, but I'd say its God, too!

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
s&f interesting
Good it turned out to be galaxies instead of some kind of humongous Borg ship. Was kinda hoping for a Borg ship but oh well...

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Rosi o donnels secret cosmic doughnut factory was found eh?

WAIT A MINUTE.... 9 plus two values time and spa ce 18....divide into 3 equal parts for the dimensions equal...6 6 6 !!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Interesting. We know our understanding of the universe as a whole is a work in progress. The new telescopes constantly reveal new things.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I think it’s best to take a wait-and-see attitude regarding this “discovery”. It requires further observation, analysis and peer review. Even the actual paper, A giant ring-like structure..., submitted to arXiv states the following:

GRBs are very rare events superimposed on the cosmic web identified by superclusters. Because of this, the ring is probably not a real physical structure. Further studies are needed to reveal whether or not the Ring could have been produced by a low-frequency spatial harmonic of the largescale matter density distribution and/or of universal star forming activity.

This isn’t the first time a similar “discovery” has been claimed. Here’s a dissenting opinion on another alleged “large scale structure” claiming to violate the Cosmological Principal which seems to fit the GRB anomaly referred to in this more recent paper. The structure was called the Huge-LQG.

A problem with past claims regarding large scale structures generally had to do with the definition of the term “structure” being too loosely applied. Many assumptions had to be made in this recent paper to reach it’s conclusions. The authors clearly state that further study is required to validate their observations. Of course, the mainstream online science mags always aim to please, so they sensationalize and keep everyone chasing their tails.

While this may very well invalidate current cosmological models, causing a major re-thinking of established principles, it’s too soon to reach any conclusions yet. Give it a chance to be reviewed. Personally, I think it’s getting time for a major paradigm shift to rock the world of physics and put us on a new course. It seems the world of physics has fallen into a rut lately with our inability to reconcile General Relativity and Quantum Physics. We just can’t seem to get a handle on quantum gravity. Two steps forward, one back...

Cheers!

edit on 8/7/2015 by netbound because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I love that quote, the Brits use both! their road signs still show miles! Lumber is sold in millimetres! They don't seem to understand centimetres and meters! Milk and bear sold in pints, gas sold in litres!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Look at the size of that thing...

Sorry, couldn't resist

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
a reply to: Xcathdra

I love that quote, the Brits use both! their road signs still show miles! Lumber is sold in millimetres! They don't seem to understand centimetres and meters! Milk and bear sold in pints, gas sold in litres!

Maybe hedging their bets?

Either or the quote doesn't apply to members of the "family".

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: netbound

The problem is, that these galaxies are quoted to be in **gravitational contact**.
Which should be impossible on this scale, because what does this "gravitational bonding" mean?

It means that the forces connecting these galaxies over those vast distances are greater than the forces which ARE expanding the universe!

Either the masses of those galaxies are absolutely tremendous, or G is different in those regions, or even Λ could be different...

Those would mean a complete paradigma-shift in astrophysics!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: VegHead
I can't even wrap my mind around something being this large - 5 billion light years across! It isn't a single structure so the title (from article) is a bit misleading. But if calculations are correct, standard model cannot be viable.

I'd love to hear what folks here think.

In fact, this mysterious structure is so colossal that it could shatter our current understanding of the cosmos.

“If we are right, this structure contradicts the current models of the universe,” said Lajos Balazs, lead author on the paper, in a press release by the Royal Astronomical Society. “It was a huge surprise to find something this big – and we still don’t quite understand how it came to exist at all.”

Just what is this massive structure? It's not a single, physical object, but rather a cluster of nine massive galaxies bound together gravitationally, much like how our Milky Way is part of a cluster of galaxies. It was discovered after researchers identified a ring of nine gamma ray bursts (GRBs) that appeared to be at very similar distances from us, each around 7 billion light years away

Read more: www.mnn.com...

Here is one that is 4 billion ly large:
news.discovery.com...

Here another 10 billion ly large structure:
news.discovery.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   

They've found the Head Quarters!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   
The black holes at the center of those galaxies must be humongous.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
If it's 7 billion light-years away, that means the light we're seeing (the object) is from 7,000,000,000 years ago.

That is, it's probably not even there any longer! lol

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
This is only the tip I feel.
Far more things will come to light and this shows us just how vast and endless the Big U really is.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join