It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minder star George Cole OBE dies at 90

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Another day another sad announcement , George Cole best known by most as lovable rogue Arthur Daley has died.

Actor George Cole, best known for playing Arthur Daley in TV's Minder, has died aged 90, his agent has said.
Cole played the Cockney wheeler dealer Daley for 16 years, between 1979 and 1994.
He also starred in a number of St Trinian's films as shady businessman Flash Harry.
His agent, Derek Webster, said Cole had died at the Royal Berkshire hospital following a short illness surrounded by his family
www.bbc.co.uk...

Happy memories.

Rest in Peace George , another British institution has passed.

edit on 6-8-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

To be honest i thought he'd passed a while ago, only because i hadnt heard anything of him in years.

Goodbye George

edit on 6/8/15 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
A sad day but happy memories.

youtu.be...

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

To be honest i thought he'd passed a while ago, only because i hadnt heard anything of him in years.

Goodbye George

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Thats mad me and the wifey watched heartbeat yesterday I know 😕lol but of all the things he was a professor who had a grudge against the towns police,and said I haven't seen him since minder and now he died 😞 that's two British TV icons gone in
A week rip both reply to: gortex

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

George Cole was one of those actors that you wanted to be around for ever. This is very sad news.

" Minder " was one of only two iconic series that ITV ever made. the other being " Rising Damp "

George will be missed by millions.
Farewell George, and one day you will be re-united with " er indoors "

R.I.P.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Damn!

'Arthur Daley' as a cowardly criminal is part of British culture. The tabloids will light up with this tomorrow ('national treasure etc') and the weekend will probably see some Minder marathon on Freeview. It's a shame it's dated so badly...

BBC or ITV will have a ready-made, affectionate documentary on stand-by full of all those still living who worked with him.

That guy must have been around forever at 90 years of age and was there ever a sniff of scandal? Not at all! Great guy and a legend dies.

edit on 8.6.2015 by Kandinsky because: double-posting a video. doh!

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

" Minder " was one of only two iconic series that ITV ever made. the other being " Rising Damp "

You forgot The Sweeny , George Cole also appeared in an episode of that called Tomorrow Man along with John Hurt.
Watching reruns of those shows is as a reminder of how good domestic TV used to be , great scripts and actors produced quality above and beyond the plastic rubbish we're served today .... thank God for ITV 4.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I admit to a feeling of sadness today more so than with other stars we have lost recently mate , I still watch the Minder reruns on ITV 4 even though I've seen every episode of the Terry and Arthur Minder series several times , maybe I'm just trying to recapture something from my youth or perhaps that pairing of George and Dennis plus the writing just made for addictive TV.

In a time of celebrity this that or the other and dumb reality shows watching the classics is like sipping a fine wine , something to be savored and enjoyed.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I feel the same way. Just a day in the celebrity spotlight is now enough to justify some international/national mourning. How many cars have you seen with bumper stickers mourning Paul Walker? The guy was okay, but he barely made a scratch in the surface of anyone's popular culture.

I was genuinely sad when Pratchett and Banks passed away because they were prolific geniuses with unbridled creativity. Less so with George Cole, but it's like you say, he was a guy whose characters were central to our childhoods and teens. Most Brits over 35 will remember talking about last night's Minder at work or at school and 'Arfur Daley' is part of our language.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

I'm sure I read about his passing a while ago, I mean YEARS.

I find that - and the fuss they seem to be making in the media - a bit x-files.

new topics

top topics

join