It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nyet Neutrality in Your Face?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Then this would be the perfect time for all those armchair champions to stand up for the cause.

Boycott the darn thing into oblivion.

They can't sell if we aren't buying. Libraries are free. There is no reason the internet should not be free. Except for the fact we have made it so darn profitable.

Time for a new day in America. Let's see what happens if the people dare speak, with not just their fingers, and their mouths. Let's see what happens if the people speak with the power of their minds, hearts and dollars.

I know. In my dreams.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

uhm ?
I wouldn't be surprised that they would want to tax the internet as they have been trying for over a decade even before the un-ruling of net neutrality , but the article appears pretty bias and no indication that this is what is happening?

1. Pai says He thinks this is what is going to happen not that it has actually happened.

Pai said, “Most immediately I think what is going to happen is that the FCC has specifically opened the door to an increase on the tax that is going to be placed on broadband.

2. Not to mention that Pai is in the pockets of the ISP that didn't want net neutrality

Pai was the FCC Commissioner who protested most vocally against the new regulations,

3. Also this appears to be about the FCC classifying broadband and not taxes. Which the challenge was expected to happen by the ISP.

The D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals will hear challenges to the FCC’s legal ability to classify broadband internet service as a public utility this December,

Maybe I missed something but the article appeared to be very vague on this tax ruling?

Sorry but this sounds like a last minute appeal by the ISP [bought and paid for journalist] trying to spread net neutrality fear , in order to get a favourable decision in December.

edit on 51831America/ChicagoThu, 06 Aug 2015 10:51:54 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I don't know how much more of an insider one needs to be than a Federal Communications Commissioner.
edit on 6-8-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

I don't how much more of an insider one needs to be than a Federal Communications Commissioner.

An insider can be bought an paid for just as easily as anyone else, not sure why he would be any different? Especially, in an industry with revolving doors like the FCC including Wheeler and Pai.

However, that still does not take away from the story that its based on Pai who was preaching the FCC , net neutrality and taxes long before this upcoming ruling.

This comes across to me as a very biased article with little substance. This is basically what Pai has been scaring people with before the initial ruling earlier this year. He is in the pockets of the ISP and previously tried to scare people into thinking net neutrality principles are bad for the consumer.

In addition, how likely would the FCC add an internet tax just before a ruling that can overturn net neutrality? They may be @sholes but they aren't dumb.

The story appears to me more about additional confirmation that Pai is purchased by the ISP/Telecom to spread false information and fear, in regards to net neutrality. In the hopes to get it reversed coming December when they challenge the verdict.

edit on 39831America/ChicagoThu, 06 Aug 2015 11:39:05 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

edit on 41831America/ChicagoThu, 06 Aug 2015 11:41:13 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

I don't how much more of an insider one needs to be than a Federal Communications Commissioner.

An insider can be bought an paid for just as easily as anyone else, not sure why he would be any different? Especially, in an industry with revolving doors like the FCC including Wheeler and Pai.

However, that still does not take away from the story that its based on Pai who was preaching the FCC , net neutrality and taxes long before this upcoming ruling.

This comes across to me as a very biased article with little substance. This is basically what Pai has been scaring people with before the initial ruling earlier this year. He is in the pockets of the ISP and previously tried to scare people into thinking net neutrality principles are bad for the consumer.

In addition, how likely would the FCC add an internet tax just before a ruling that can overturn net neutrality? They may be @sholes but they aren't dumb.

The story appears to me more about additional confirmation that Pai is purchased by the ISP/Telecom to spread false information and fear, in regards to net neutrality. In the hopes to get it reversed coming December when they challenge the verdict.

That would seem to indicate that there is actually no living person on this planet whom you would give the time of day to regarding this subject, maybe Tom Wheeler? But, he could be bought and paid for too so, really there isn't anybody.

I guess we will just have to see what happens and trust that our government will do what is best for us.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

That would seem to indicate that there is actually no living person on this planet whom you would give the time of day to regarding this subject, maybe Tom Wheeler? But, he could be bought and paid for too so, really there isn't anybody.

That would be correct when it comes to politics, I tend to look at the actions more than the people or what they say.

I guess we will just have to see what happens.

Agreed.

and trust that our government will do what is best for us.

Absolutely not. However when you say gov't its really Corporate Oligopolies as they are the ones that create our regulations and control our gov't. Our politicians are simply robo-signers.

Also not that I think wheeler is honest, Actually I think the opposite as he came from the revolving door policy enacted by the FCC and the Telecom industry. However, wheeler was not the driver for net neutrality actually he was against it in the beginning.

Wheeler was continuing the process to kill net neutrality with what Colin Powell son and former FCC head that now works for the telecom industry started after they swapped positions with each other.

The only reason why net neutrality passed was because you had one powerful Oligopoly industry [Online merchants] that would have been killed by the undoing of net neutrality. Google, netflix, amazon , and others spent equally if not more than the telecom industry to fight anti net neutrality principles. Not because they care about the consumers but because their business can't exist without it and their best interest actually coincides this time with the best interest of the consumers. We were lucky as this doesn't often happens.

edit on 52831America/ChicagoThu, 06 Aug 2015 12:52:11 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I know very little about what happens behind the scenes at the FCC though, I would be interested to find out.

I do agree that nepotism, kickbacks, revolving doors and all manner of corruption from bribery to extortion are rife among government representatives so I appreciate that you also do not trust them.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cabin
I do not get, what is it with you, Americans... You are being exploited by different ISP companies heavily. Round here (Northern Europe), I can get 400 mbit internet for 30 bucks a month, while you have to pay times that amount for much worse internet.

If you think our internet treatment is bad you should see our cell phone plans compared to yours.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Cabin

Over here in America we are ruled by, and bow down to the almighty dollar. It is the only true God here. Those of us who know the ISP's are screwing us do not have the money, and therefor political clout to change anything.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Oh look, another right-wing clickbait site that regurgitates OLD information and presents it as "new" in order to stir up fabricated outrage.

The FCC said this in freakin' MARCH.

And the tax hasn't happened yet. They only said it was possible.

Not to mention that the entire Net Neutrality thing had NOTHING to do with taxes. The FCC is already taxing broadband. An increase in taxes would be poorly received, sure. But this website tries to make the connection between Net Neutrality and taxes, when the two couldn't be more separate from one another.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Is pointing out that the taxes had nothing to do with net neutrality really an excuse?

Obviously it does have something to do with net neutrality, only it's supporters won't admit they got took by Captain Hook!

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus
a reply to: Sremmos80

Is pointing out that the taxes had nothing to do with net neutrality really an excuse?

Obviously it does have something to do with net neutrality, only it's supporters won't admit they got took by Captain Hook!

Captain Hook, lieutenant Line and Sergeant Sinker.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

The FCC is already taxing broadband. An increase in taxes would be poorly received, sure

You have a point, but who looks at their bills anyway???

Oh wait I thought the Progressives want to be taxed more....that's what they say anyway whenever the subject comes up for more social and government programs.
edit on 6-8-2015 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
On the bright side--

At least the plutocrats still have to (assuming they have to) promise something in return before a power grab.

Someday they will just take it.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined
We can and will just create another internet, watch.

Network ourselves together and stick it to the man.

It can and will happen, Internet 2.0 - Free from all BS , we seem to only adapt when faced with a crisis.

A new wire system would need permission to piggyback on utilities and would have to start in a big city.

Some other system, lasers reflected off of blimps or reflected off of radio wave excited atmospheric gaseous globs or something, could be invented, with permission of TPTB. Thinking out side the box might find a solution.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Semicollegiate

It can and will happen, Internet 2.0 - Free from all BS , we seem to only adapt when faced with a crisis.

A new wire system would need permission to piggyback on utilities and would have to start in a big city.

Some other system, lasers reflected off of blimps or reflected off of radio wave excited atmospheric gaseous globs or something, could be invented, with permission of TPTB. Thinking out side the box might find a solution.

I have to say when it happened, I immediately thought of John Titor's wireless internet.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Semicollegiate

I have to say when it happened, I immediately thought of John Titor's wireless internet.

Mini satellites. they cost around 500 each to orbit if i remember.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Current 3g, 4g, edge, and LTE systems are pretty close to Titor's description.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   

I really would not have a problem getting rid of my internet tv cable or phone. I realize these folks truly believe they are too big and powerful to fail. They might want to think about reducing the top tier package to a fair price like 80 bucks a month for all 3 services.

No, Seriously.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: superluminal11

I really would not have a problem getting rid of my internet tv cable or phone. I realize these folks truly believe they are too big and powerful to fail. They might want to think about reducing the top tier package to a fair price like 80 bucks a month for all 3 services.

No, Seriously.

Maybe the FCC needs to dictate to them their pricing?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join