It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen marijuana use not linked to depression, cancer or psychosis in later life

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

My Son is allergic to a certain antibiotic...he had it given to him as a routine medicine for a mild condition and to put it bluntly, it could have killed him...he developed a severe reaction and almost had his Kidneys shut down...although many other people are perfectly fine taking this antibiotic. So because my Son got sick, i don't think that medicine shouldn't be available to others, as it does help most who use it.

I would argue that it would make sense for a very low dose test to be developed for pot, something that can be measured and determine whether an individual will be the one among many who could be negatively affected by using pot, like the antibiotic mentioned above, most people will find pot to be beneficial and ought not be denied it's benefits for the very few who will not find it useful.

edit on 6-8-2015 by MysterX because: typo

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Here is the actual study:

Results: Four latent marijuana trajectory groups were identified: chronic high, adolescence-limited, late increasing, and low/nonusers. Relative to low/nonusers, chronic high and late increasing marijuana users exhibited more adult psychopathic features and were more likely to engage in drug-related offending during their mid-30s. Adolescence-limited users were similar to low/nonusers in terms of psychopathic features but were more likely to be arrested for drug-related crimes. No trajectory group differences were found for violence or theft, and the group differences were not moderated by race.

Conclusions: Young men who engage in chronic marijuana use from adolescence into their 20s are at increased risk for exhibiting psychopathic features, dealing drugs, and enduring drug-related legal problems in their mid-30s relative to men who remain abstinent or use infrequently.

Developmental Trajectories of Marijuana Use among Men Examining Linkages with Criminal Behavior and Psychopathic Features into the Mid-30s

The conclusions portion of the study seem to be in contention to what is published in the article.

Perhaps it is only those "who engage in chronic marijuana use from adolescence into their 20s" are at risk and other categories of use are not included in that assessment?

I would quantify my use in those age ranges as chronic, and for the time being (I'm in my mid 40's) have not had any of the above-mentioned negative effects.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

My experience is similar to your own it seems. We're more or less the same age too.

Where the study is laughable however, is it's use of the '...were more likely to engage in drug-related offending during their mid-30s.'..since using pot is still illegal in most places, you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to work that one out do you!

The other effects mentioned could just as easily be attributed to increased risk taking and an oppositional or contrary personality type.

These young people and young adults are obviously of the personality type that basically ignores the drug law regarding pot, and so are probably going to be of a certain 'contrary' personality type anyway, since they freely and routinely disregard the law regarding pot use etc.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Have not seen apathy - dis-interest and laziness mentioned here.

More focused studies needed on teens !!

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Timely

Lord knows, teens are lazy, disinterested, and apathetic enough on their own.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Indeed!

Similar brain fog is obviously worth further study ( with or without - seems very similar )

.... or not. lol.

It seems to be a time immemorial constant gripe of parents.
From Fintstones through to the present Simpsons and on to ... I dunno - the Jetsons ? lol. ( Spock's dead )

Huh ?

Did sumwun say sumfing ?

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Timely

Thank you for bringing that up. I missed the dead head factor, which some people seem to be prone to. I think you will find this in those who are already apathetic, without Cannabis. But Cannabis does seem to make those pre disposed to apathy worse off.

Those who suffer apathy as a side effect should refrain from using it. But there are also many successful self-motivated users, so this is obviously not a side effect for all users.

edit on 6-8-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I have my PhD in Psychology and have counseled many types of people some who had no addictive issues with the drug and those who do become addicted. The truth is that while Marijuana is of great benefit to health to counter disease and sickness however, the non-medical use of the substance by young people or any people for that matter not only increases addiction to 1 in 5 but also comes with a huge health risk I hear nobody talking about which is the synthetic and laced Marijuana sometimes even the user doesn't know it's laced which can lead to major issues.

I will Leo with this statement to my stand on drugs which is I think the criminality of drugs needs to be more limited and the FDA needs to reclassify the schedule of drugs and make all drugs legal and not make it criminal since unless that person is high while driving or high and neglected their children or some other crime due to or under the influence of the drugs that's when it should be a criminal office otherwise, it is best left in the hands of the medical community. I think we in the medical field out way the knowledge of most our police officers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join