It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Camera Shows Moon Crossing Face of Earth (Epic Dark Side of Moon images)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I have noted that the colour channels don't line up well for the Moon, there's some green/purple fringing around craters and dark/bright spots. The green channel seems to have gotten some "ghost" image from the red channel.

I'd love to access the individual images and try to align them myself. From my own experience, such slight misalignment can produce a somewhat darker and brown-ish image, while a perfect alignment would produce a brighter and greyer image.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Anyone notice how the clouds are static on the whole planet, how can this be real, last time I checked clouds are constantly moving.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: NeoSpace
Anyone notice how the clouds are static on the whole planet, how can this be real, last time I checked clouds are constantly moving.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
This photo really makes me question is the "earth rise" photo taken in 1968. How can perspective be so vastly different?

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh
This photo really makes me question is the "earth rise" photo taken in 1968. How can perspective be so vastly different?

The Earth looks larger in this image than the Apollo "Earthrise" image for the same reason the Moon is huge in the image below -- because of a telephoto lens (large focal length).

The Apollo earthrise image was taken from lunar orbit using a relatively normal lens. So the moon was big and close, and the Earth was far away.

The image in the OP of the Moon passing in front of the earth was taken from the L1 Lagrange Point, which is far away from the BOTH the Earth and Moon, so a large relatively high magnification (or cropping) would be required to see the Earth-Moon system so large.

The below image of the moon is similar in that respect. It was taken from a long distance from the tree, and used a relatively high magnification to make the tree and moon look big.

The Earth-moon image from the DSCOVR obsevatory as seen in the OP is slightly different because (as I mentioned) it was taken from so far away at the L1 LaGrange point, so what we would be seeing is the Earth and moon from far away, and their true relative sizes to each other.

edit on 8/5/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
nice. looks totally cgi. but nice.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: RR0BBY
a reply to: Bloodydagger

I have often wondered why in pictures of the full earth from space, that you can not see the northern or southern lights??

Photos of the aurorae are long exposures - if you tried that with the full Earth from space you'd just flood the image with bright light and it would show nothing.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4

Actually it kinda looks like the props my wife uses with her class of 4th graders, LOL. Seriously though, shouldn't we see the Moon's shadow crossing the Earth, since the Sun is beaming down brightly on both the Moon and Earth?

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4

Actually it kinda looks like the props my wife uses with her class of 4th graders, LOL. Seriously though, shouldn't we see the Moon's shadow crossing the Earth, since the Sun is beaming down brightly on both the Moon and Earth?

The perspective is confusing - here is the view from as seen from the sun that I posted earlier:

Simulated in Stellarium.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: FinalCountdown

"Combining three images taken about 30 seconds apart

So how much are the clouds supposed to move in those 90 seconds?

That's not what I read on the site...

These images were taken between 3:50 p.m. and 8:45 p.m. EDT on July 16

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: FinalCountdown

"Combining three images taken about 30 seconds apart

So how much are the clouds supposed to move in those 90 seconds?

originally posted by: heliopolis
That's not what I read on the site...

These images were taken between 3:50 p.m. and 8:45 p.m. EDT on July 16

My bad.. missed the following paragraph. Night shifts are not good for my brain.

Combining three images taken about 30 seconds apart as the moon moves produces a slight but noticeable camera artifact on the right side of the moon. Because the moon has moved in relation to the Earth between the time the first (red) and last (green) exposures were made, a thin green offset appears on the right side of the moon when the three exposures are combined. This natural lunar movement also produces a slight red and blue offset on the left side of the moon in these unaltered images.

edit on 6/8/2015 by heliopolis because: edit

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut

Combining three images taken about 30 seconds apart

between the time the first (red) and last (green) exposures were made

in these unaltered images.

am i missing something?

No, you are not missing anything...It is altered since it is a composite. It was composed of 3 images therefore a compositite. I also enjoy how over 5 hours of rotations as shown in the "animation," the cloud formations do not change and are static across the original place shown from 1st hour to 5th hour. Sure they move, but along with the topography but they do not change. And this is just my thought, seeing rain clouds several thousand times in my life, and yes during the day...Why aren't there giant dark clouds anywhere, ever from space images? The only dark clouds I can find, is where nealry all clouds look dark, which means there is either little lighting or it is raining everywhere.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh

Perspective is how we have been trained to percieve what we are told. I actually cannot get my head around that "Earth rise" photo because I do not think that it is possible to take a picture from a landmass like the moon, where the horizon is so damn close. Seriously, the moon is bigger than all the continents on Earth combined so why would the horizon look like that in photos? It just ends, what seems like (I'm being generous) a mile away. And that is going off of the cameras used on the moon that had no zoom capability.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Its a nice fake. They are doing good work hiding the activity on the "dark side" of the moon.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   

These pictures are totally useless. And made to keep us discussing about things that are not important.
I read somewhere in the replies ‘Where are the alien moon bases’, followed by something like ‘Just kidding’. (I’m not kidding.)
Where are the details on the pictures? There are detailed pictures of every square foot on the moon, of the far and near site. No doubt about that. But the pictures that are important we will probably never see.
Why is there no ‘Spirit Rover’ on the moon to show us the moon surface in detail?
I believe there are alien moon bases. Maybe under the moon surface. But surely there are also alien structures above the moon surface. And there are probably even human made structures and bases.
It seems to me that some of you believe that too but are afraid to be countered by some science and to be ridiculed. But science has been wrong so many times. And to be ridiculed? My skin is thick enough. Every time so called scientists ridiculed me, made me a bit stronger.
To be clear: I respect people who are astonished by the view of these pictures. But I am not.
And I know I promoted the following site a lot of times but don’t read it if you are not interested and forget about it. No offence.
www.evawaseerst.be...

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

I just watched the animation from the link, pretty cool, but it doesnt look right

The same side of the moon always faces an earthbound observer because the moon is tidally locked to Earth. That means its orbital period is the same as its rotation around its axis.

Shouldnt the moon be turning right, as it goes around the earth? But it looks like a still image of the moon, as that black spot in the top left corner, doesnt seems to move at all, can someone with better understanding of how this works, please explain this??

This time-lapse only cover less than 5 hours of time. The Moon takes about 28 days to rotate once on its axis and revolve once around the Earth. So you aren't seeing enough the Moon long enough in this time-lapse to notice the rotation.

Of course, that makes sense

Thank for the answer

originally posted by: FinalCountdown

Yeah, and why do the clouds not change shape or appear to move at all?
This took place over a few hours, we should see something…

And why is the earth depicted as round? I thought it had been recently proven on ATS that it is flat?

Good try NASA

Must have missed the thread, that proved the earth was flat

Dont know whats up with the clouds, but iam gonna keep my globe for a while, just in case

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: RR0BBY

I have often wondered why in pictures of the full earth from space, that you can not see the northern or southern lights??

Oh there are photos. I' will post one for you I just got yesterday ,it's beautiful.

EDIT

Darn it I can't, ATS is not loading the upload page, can hard,LY access the site at all today.

I will try tomorrow. I'd really like you to see there are photos
edit on 6-8-2015 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: iDope

The Earthrise photos weren't taken on the moon, they were taken in orbit around the moon.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I'll try to answer your questions:

1. Cloud formations. Clouds you see from the ground occupy maybe a couple hundred of miles in the sky, or less, and at such small scale of course you will see change over an hour or even a few minutes. In the OP's Earth shot, you're looking at huge weather systems that occupy many hundreds or thousands of miles, and the change isn't that obvious at such a large scale. For them to change as noticeably as it looks from the ground, there'd have to be hurricane-strength winds all over the planet.

2. Dark clouds. No such thing. They only appear dark from the ground because clouds block some of the sunlight that reaches the ground. The rest of light is reflected outwards, which is why even thunder clouds look white from space or from aircraft flying above them. Venus is so bright precisely because it's completely covered in clouds, while it's very dark on the surface of Venus.

3. Moon horizon. The Moon has no atmosphere, therefore there's no atmospheric haze/bluishness that tells us that things are very distant from us. On the Moon, the horizon and the distant terrain look just as clear and sharp as the near terrain, and that can be comfusing when you try to judge distance. Even the Apollo moon walkers were confused when they tried to judge distance to some large rocks: www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   

I'm probably going to break a taboo here and say this. I know that the average LD in miles is 238900. So, lets just round that
to 250000 or a quarter million miles.

The photo of "earth-rising" was taken from a quarter million miles away. Now, let us look at this photo that was presented by the OP. One million miles away.... So, the moon is 750,000 miles away, and it is huge. I know, zoom and cropping and all that jazz.... The Earth is one million miles away.... Now, regardless of the camera used to take the "Earth-Rising" photo from 1968, how can it be comparable in size to the moon from our perspective, when a zoomed and cropped image makes it soooooo much larger?

I am not trying to make a point here, but I just wish to understand. The reply I received earlier was nice, but I just don't buy it.

How can the Earth look so gigantic in a "zoomed and cropped" image from a perspective one million miles away, but look so miniscule from a quarter million miles away? It makes no sense to me regardless of the lens..
edit on 6-8-2015 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join