It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PSA: Whooping Cough aka Pertussis

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
If you are an older person who received a pertussis vaccination as a child, please be aware that it will not protect you as an adult... you need to get a booster.

I came down with a severe case in 2006, I was out of work for almost 3 months. At the peak of the illness, I would cough to the point of passing out 10-20 times a day... I fell once and have to have stitches in my noggin as a result.

Freshman GOP Rep. diagnosed with whooping cough:

www.myfoxny.com...

"I want to use this opportunity to remind parents to vaccinate their children against this dangerous infection," Curbelo said in a statement. "Adults should be aware that booster shots are necessary in order to maintain the vaccine's effectiveness."

Trust me, you do not want to get this as an adult.. a lot of times it may appear in an adult as nothing more than a nagging cough that just won't go away.... but sometimes, as in my case, it can be very severe to the point of life-threatening.

It took me almost a year to completely recover from that... if you haven't had a booster and particularly if you work with children or are around a lot of children, you need that booster.

edit on R402015-08-04T19:40:16-05:00k408Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

So this may be a dumb question, but since you came down with whooping cough, does that make you immune to ever contacting it again?

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Thank you for passing this along

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

no it doesn't... I had to get a booster shot anyways.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I am 64 and just got my vaccine TODAY, so this thread caught my attention. Thank You Obama and america for the insurance after 7 long dry years.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I got the dtap shot and I was hanging upside down from the couch coughing out fluids. My body reacts like I have the disease when I get some vaccines. I just had a slight fever but the junk coming out of my lungs sucked. Next time I will only get the tetnus shot like they used to give. I got the worst flu I ever had from the two flu shots I got. I wasn't even sick, I just had the immune response as if I was sick. If you have immunity naturally, you do not stick markers and an adjuvant in your body, it makes you sicker than a dog.

I have explained this to four different doctors in my life and they all had the same response. Don't take the shot, you already have immunity and it can hurt you.

The dtap shot was the first tetnus shot I had in over ten years and I never got sick off the old ones. They did not have the pertusis in the old ones, I don't know if they had the diptheria part or not.

I ask questions when I find I can not tolerate something. from professional people who have experience. Usually the older doctors know of adverse reactions from seeing them over the years.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

The pertussis vaccine. Does it actually work or does it make you more vulnerable by damaging your immune system?

Hemman says the cases the district has heard about were people who've been vaccinated.

The Reno County Health Department tells us a majority of the total cases have been vaccinated

edit on 5-8-2015 by InverseLookingGlass because: quote

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Funny how your link text is not in any way supported by the link.

Who pays you to spread lies about vaccines all of the time?

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

The pertussis vaccine. Does it actually work or does it make you more vulnerable by damaging your immune system?

Hemman says the cases the district has heard about were people who've been vaccinated.

The Reno County Health Department tells us a majority of the total cases have been vaccinated

I think this picture addresses your post quite well.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Pardon?

Most people in car crashes were wearing seatbelts, ergo seat belts aren't effective. Nay, seatbelts caused the crashes.

Some stellar logic there from the anti-vaccination crowd.
edit on 5-8-2015 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Actually, I played cards with some people who were state police and one told me that the evidence showed years ago that people who have a beer or two actually have less accidents. This was taught to them in their training. But they were forced to adopt the lie that any alcohol at all impairs judgement when driving. Whether the one or two drinks actually made them more concerned not to get stopped so they would not have to worry about getting a ticket or whether it relaxed them a tad bit is the question. I usually never sped or raced my cars when I was drinking when I was younger.

That was based on real evidence they collected years ago, not a practice that was adopted by new public concensus started by groups like mothers against drunk driving. Now, driving while drunk is a different issue. But that usually happens over a .10 level and a .06 level is not really necessary.

Cell phones and other technology cause more accidents than drunk drivers. People are so distracted now while driving that we need to ban some of this technology in cars.

edit on 5-8-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Actually, I played cards with some people who were state police and one told me that the evidence showed years ago that people who have a beer or two actually have less accidents.

Pretty much every study analysing BAC and accidents says the opposite; that is to say, even ONE beer has a negative impact.

This is why anecdotal evidence ("My mate says...") is a load of bollocks.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   

dead set correct mate, you seriously Do Not want to get this as an adult, I'm still trying to recover more than 2 years after getting it, not fun at all.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   
it always amuses me that anti-vaxx idiots go bat-crap crazy over the need for vaccine booster shots , but :

dont bat an eye at the " need " to take a booster of thier favourte snake-oil sailsmans " mirracle cure tonic " every day for the rest of thier lives

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I got one for tetanus awhile back....so I guess I'm good.....

www.cdc.gov...

Although it initially resembles an ordinary cold, whooping cough may eventually turn more serious, particularly in infants. The best way to prevent it is through vaccinations. The childhood vaccine is called DTaP. The whooping cough booster vaccine for adolescents and adults is called Tdap. Both DTaP and Tdap protect against whooping cough, tetanus, and diphtheria.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I always thought DTaP stood for Typhoid, Diphtheria and Pertussis...learn something new everyday lol

edit on R082015-08-09T19:08:59-05:00k088Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

And I thought a Tetanus shot was only for Tetanus LOL
It was the only reason I got it.
Since I garden, I get them every 7-10 years or so.....

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It isn't that the alcohol has no effect. It does; it's that it has just enough effect that the person may still be very aware of that effect and be extra careful when driving. The two may balance out.

I don't base this off of driving drunk, but I base it off of when I used to have prescription narcotics. After having taken one, I was very aware that my ability was impaired, but I because I was aware, I was also super careful when I had to drive.

I assume that there is a similar threshold with most people and alcohol.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: rickymouse

It isn't that the alcohol has no effect. It does; it's that it has just enough effect that the person may still be very aware of that effect and be extra careful when driving. The two may balance out.

I don't base this off of driving drunk, but I base it off of when I used to have prescription narcotics. After having taken one, I was very aware that my ability was impaired, but I because I was aware, I was also super careful when I had to drive.

I assume that there is a similar threshold with most people and alcohol.

The retired State police trouper that is my pinnacle partner said that about twenty five years ago this was common knowledge and around fifteen years ago they changed policy because consensus was that even one drink impared driving. I am almost positive that the reduced accidents were either from stress relief or from the fact that they were not wanting to get stopped with alcohol on their breath. This could force a person to pay more attention. I know I am more relaxed with one drink and drive better than when I am not drinking. I tend to be thinking about all sorts of things all the time and when I have a drink I don't do that. less distraction I suppose.

You need to take everything into consideration when you analyze something, not just one factor.

Just like the insurance industry complaining they have to give discounts when people buckle up when their research showed that when buckled up people get more confidence and drive faster when conditions do not warrant it and wind up in bigger and worse accidents. The government did not accept their evidence but did become more lax on the discounts required by the insurance company to shut them up.

The government is cherry picking the evidence they want in the case of vaccines also. This is because of corruption in the FDA but our congress is BSed just like most of society to believe in these things. They won't challenge consensus of the time even though that consensus is not right. Sure, some vaccines are necessary while others are actually causing more serious complications than what they are meant to protect us from.
edit on 10-8-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Funny you should mention this.

Iv'e been having bouts of coughing myself to near unconsciousness for 6 years now. Been to the Doctor many times she just looks at me like i'm an idiot. It's got to the point where after a long cough my arms start to shake in a up and down motion if i dont pass out completely. Landed on my arse a few times.

I'm so used to it now i actually enjoy the buzz.

<<   2 >>

join