It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cop draws his gun because a person was filming him?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse
This brings up something. There should be an app that sends your recording directly to a remote location. Police often take the devices to get rid of the evidence or confiscate it. You would have no protection if the cop took the cell phone and destroyed the evidence. Then they can say anything happened. If they knew the recordings were being sent elsewhere, there may be a change in the way these incidents play out as they would know getting the device or harassing the shooter would have zero effect of the evidence being secured. It could send the videos to friends, a remote drive, wherever. Just a thought.

Ustream

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Well, thanks for the information on these apps. That needs to get out more in the public. I will be loading these up and checking them out. There is always more than one way to skin a cat!

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
That is a great example as to why a certain percentage of officers fear the public so much,they have been intimidating so many people for so long they are literally waiting for the backlash,they know it is coming they just do not know from whom when or where....

That cop pulling his gun out like that was pretty telling to the mindset...intimidation 101....pretty sad

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold

Good work in getting the video. Next step...body cams for the proletariat 24/7.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

originally posted by: spirit_horse
This brings up something. There should be an app that sends your recording directly to a remote location. Police often take the devices to get rid of the evidence or confiscate it. You would have no protection if the cop took the cell phone and destroyed the evidence. Then they can say anything happened. If they knew the recordings were being sent elsewhere, there may be a change in the way these incidents play out as they would know getting the device or harassing the shooter would have zero effect of the evidence being secured. It could send the videos to friends, a remote drive, wherever. Just a thought.

Ustream

Said that many times,
same goes for general personal protection. My home security system has eight HD cameras going all the the time, infra red at night. Those pictures can be seen on any mobile linked in anywhere in the world where there is a connection, and also the PC. Once you know there is an audience so to speak, no one can mess about, because Wee brother is watching Big brother.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Pretty sad day in our country when public officials think there is something wrong with a person who supports the Constitution. I thought it was their job also.
a reply to: roadgravel

I was thinking the exact same thing when the cop asked him if he was some kind of constitutionalist. Really, they're supposed to up hold the constitutional rights of citizens. He was certainly breaking the constitutional rights of someone who was not committing a crime. To draw a gun on someone, and than not holstering it after the guy empties his pockets, is really outrageous.

I still think there should be a national forum about the excessive use of force and the abuse of power by police in this country.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass
a reply to: blackthorne

To a LEO, personal safety is #1 followed closely by control of the evidence chain.
No evidence, no crime.
That's why a camera is as dangerous as a gun.

I understand LEO safety is important, but if it is the overriding concern in all of their dealings, then they should find other lines of work.

I have relatives who were firefighters and they didn't have the luxury of deciding a call was too dangerous, simply walking off the job, nor did they have the luxury of using violent force if they were nervous when encountering people while on a call.

I recently came across a very nicely balanced reasonable article about use of force, officer safety concerns, etc, written by a police officer. The crux of the article was that if police become so obsessed with their own safety that they throw the legitimate safety concerns of others out the window, and constantly resort to force, then it will cause a serious erosion of the public trust in police.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Having viewed the video tape, the following can be stated:

1) There needs to be an investigation on the officer. His actions for driving around a neighborhood, is legal and one that is part of a patrol.

2) The pulling of a gun, that is what is questionable. Is this officer so gun ho that he is going to shoot someone?

3) These officers who object to being filmed need to be forced to answer this question: Do they when walking into most businesses, demand that the managers and owners turn off said camera's cause they do not want to be filmed? Many places one would go into would have cameras that are recording. How is a person recording their actions, any different than a business?

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: LoneWanderer1307

The crux of the article was that if police become so obsessed with their own safety that they throw the legitimate safety concerns of others out the window, and constantly resort to force, then it will cause a serious erosion of the public trust in police.

I think that this is already happening right before our eyes. Unfortunately, the media is playing people like puppets and not portraying the situation effectively.
edit on 4-8-2015 by charolais because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
My goodness is that man lucky to be alive.

That officer pulled his firearm almost immediately. And then the always dangerous, take your hand out of your pocket so I can shoot you for taking your hand from your pocket because I feared for my life that you were pulling a weapon out of your pocket.

"Am I being detained or are you suspecting me of a crime?"

"If I did I would be arresting you."

Okay, then why would you draw your firearm? I agree 100% with the assessment of the man behind the camera. This was intimidation pure and simple. This neanderthal was marking his territory.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Was it one of those new camera guns? Maybe he just got confused like the volunteer officer who though that his gun was pepper spray?

originally posted by: blackthorne
this really is scary. and this happened in the small city 5 miles down the road from where i live. the cop even says "what are you? some kind of constitutionalist crazy guy?" what the heck is going on? i do support police to an extent, (i was a military policeman for 4 years) but this is getting extremely out of control!

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Ahh, the beauty of being in the heart of liberal country...

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I sincerely hate these types of LEOs.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

How trollish....a video arises in which you can't possibly defend the cops actions...so instead, go off topic and bash some liberals.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Pretty sad day in our country when public officials think there is something wrong with a person who supports the Constitution. I thought it was their job also.

Yup, that's the oath I swore when I joined the USMC...To support and defend the US Constitution against all enemies, foriegn and domestic.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: LeatherNLace
a reply to: raymundoko

How trollish....a video arises in which you can't possibly defend the cops actions...so instead, go off topic and bash some liberals.

At least comments like theirs make it really easy to identify the scholars of ATS. I'm sure it takes a vast intellect to put together that comment he made.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: charolais

This is definitely a little disturbing.

Why does it seem that LEOs intentionally attempt to escalate a situation? I just don't understand. It's like they want people to overreact and begin to get upset, just so they can arrest them and complicate an otherwise harmless situation. Do officers "get off" on arresting people and throwing people around? Honestly, I'm really starting to believe they do.

That's a good point. I think cops these days are so concerned about having "control" of every situation that they can't even have a normal conversation with the public. They have the power, and they want you to know it. That opens the door to all types of abuse by bad cops. All while they hide behind a badge.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I have the privilege of knowing a few officers that are good cops and good men. Two specifically that I went to high school are great examples of "sense of duty" vs. "sense of authority"

The first was a good friend of mine, in HS he was an athlete, honor roll type of guy, strong morals, etc. He wasn't part of any "crowd" but could fit in any where. He's also a large man and can be very intimidating upon first meeting him. When I first found out he became a state trooper, I was very surprised because it was the last career I thought he would have chosen. He's a great example of having a sense of duty, and would take "to protect and serve" very seriously. He's there to help.

The other cop in my example is the exact opposite. I wasn't great friends with him, but was around him enough to know him well. In high school he had an arrogance about him, maybe a false sense of entitlement. He wasn't part of the popular crouds, but wasn't an out cast or made fun of. Just a normal kid. He is an example of what I call having a sense of authority. He's not there to help as much as he's there to show he's in charge. He's gotten a reputation back home of being a prick of a cop. I'm surprised hasn't been in the news for doing something stupid, like drawing his gun, over use of force, or being recorded overstepping his authority.

My point here is that I think there's certain personality types that are drawn into law enforcement. Some want to genuinely protect and serve, and others want the shiny badge, carry a gun and DARE YOU to not respect their authority.

FWIW, I have all the respect in the world for police offices. They do have a job that puts them in some bad situations, in front of some bad people. I understand the need to use force in some instances. We've all seen examples of things being done correctly, but unfortunately we've seen more of the power abusing-sadistic-paranoid-dirty-little pricks of law enforcement.

Just my two cents...

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: gunshooter
Ourt of control law enforcement! No discipline obviously, and what real danger was this pig in? Hey, I was a military cop as well OP, longer than you, and I have absolutely zero respect for zero cops today. Too many incidents, and not enough "good" cops to put the bad ones in place. If I was the guy with the camera, I would've been screaming "help, this psycho has a gun and is going to kill me!" Police are not our allies, period.

That's a totally logical thing. I'm actually going to remember that and hopefully never have to use it.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I always thought guns were only drawn if the officer felt his life, or someone elses life were in danger. To take it out for something so petty is a little disturbing, and worrying.
The camera is just as dangerous as a gun in a way, as it shows the rest of the world what's really happening. No longer can police get away with things like this like they did years ago.

It is very concerning. In England we just get asked what we're doing, and if nothing's wrong, the police just walk away. We do get the odd incident like this but not having guns make the whole thing a little less scary.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join