It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: 2 Huge Blasts in Riyadh

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
There have been 2 huge blasts near the ministry in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Reportedly a car bomb or car bombs exploded, and heavy gunfire followed the blasts. Ambulances and police cars rushed to the area and helicopters hovered over the scene.

www.foxnews.com
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia � A huge explosion was heard in central Riyadh near a building close to the interior ministry, eyewitnesses said Wednesday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This story is still developing . . .

There are also reports of gunfire in the area. They are also reporting that this may be linked to the Bin Laden tape that was released yesterday. The tape may have been the "go Ahead" signal. I sincerely hope not as there has been way too much killing in that part of the world.

Related News Stories:
ABC

[edit on 29-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
With the American troop pullout there a while back, the toppling of the Saudi Royals is bound to happen sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, if it happens, they'll be replaced by those more similar to Bin Laden. Why exactly we ever let this occur, is yet another of the many mysteries of this administration's handling of foreign policy.

His father was a foreign policy genius...man I wish he'd call his dad more often on crap like this....

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - A suicide attacker tried to drive his bomb-laden car into the Interior Ministry complex, and militants set off another bomb and exchanged fire with police late Wednesday in Riyadh, capital of a kingdom at war with Muslim extremists.

The first explosion at about 8:35 p.m. shattered windows and sent smoke and flames rising into the nighttime sky near the ministry in central Riyadh. Police officials said a suicide car bomber had tried to storm the ministry, but failed and instead exploded his car just outside.

Suicide Attacker

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
With the American troop pullout there a while back, the toppling of the Saudi Royals is bound to happen sooner rather than later.

I'm not so certain of that. The house of Saud has a modernized army and an apparently well controlled police force. It'd be exceedingly difficult for the fanatics to overthrow the government.

Internally however, the more 'moderate' (and i use it loosely) branch of the Sauds can't break free completely of the wahhabist clerics and their supporters withint the large royal family. Its conceivable that people more aligned with them will assume control within the house, but I can't see Saudi Arabia becoming just Arabia anytime soon.

Unfortunately, if it happens, they'll be replaced by those more similar to Bin Laden.

Like I said above, if there is a take over, it'l l be internal, and will result in a more fundamental saudi state, which isn't saying much if you think about it.

Why exactly we ever let this occur, is yet another of the many mysteries of this administration's handling of foreign policy.

His father was a foreign policy genius...man I wish he'd call his dad more often on crap like this....

The troops, indeed, centcom itself is in near by qatar. It just means that they operate out of one location in the penninsula rather than another.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
www.reuters.com

RIYADH (Reuters) - Twin car bombs exploded near Saudi Arabia's interior ministry and a security unit on Wednesday in what appeared to be the latest strike by al Qaeda militants in the world's biggest oil exporter.

Security sources said there was no immediate word of casualties in the central Riyadh blasts, which sent global oil prices higher. It was not immediately clear if they were suicide bombings.

A Reuters reporter said there was superficial damage to the interior ministry building. Helicopters hovered above the area, which was cordoned off by police.

The second bomb exploded near a training center for special emergency forces, a security official said.

"This is most probably a terrorist attack," the official told Reuters. "There was another car bomb at the same time as the first bomb near a training center for special emergency forces"

Twin Car bombings, timed to exploded nearly simultaenously, attacking both the government and the security forces. Certainly seems to be an Al Qaeda hallmark. The timing is quite coincidental based on the release of Osama's tape calling for attacks on Saudi Arabia and the royal family.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It does seem like a terrorist act... but where are the planes hitting the buildings?... they could take out the entire house of saud with just one suicide plane... why haven't they?
maybe because they are not organized enough to plan something like that... and maybe because they never were.

Just an idea for world peace...
dedicate billions to develop cheap, clean, safe, renewable energy (could already be done thru several different methods, if the initial funding was there) and then give thes new electricity methods to all countries including the bad ones...
there would be no excuse for oil wars, no excuse for nuclear plants, and no excuse for the many oil empires across the globe...
but alas, will never happen... removes too much power from the people in control.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
not to mention undermining the trerrorist funding

Sep

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I'm not so certain of that. The house of Saud has a modernized army and an apparently well controlled police force. It'd be exceedingly difficult for the fanatics to overthrow the government.

That is exactly what I would have said about the Shah of Iran in 1978.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Good observation Sep.

Remember, the will of the people will not be denied. The Shah fell because people were tired of being tortured and exploited by a government that had sold its soul to foreign interests. They stormed the secret police headquarters, strung them up, and literally made the traitors feast on their own genitals. I predict the same in Saudi Arabia.

[edit on 30-12-2004 by WyrdeOne]

new topics

top topics

join