It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US of A is still number 1

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Nope plenty is wrong but it's not a malady only America shares luckily or unfortunately it's a human malady, and we are all overcoming the hard problems. Lucky for the rest of the world America is forging the way and you all can follow in our wake. These statistics nor the finger pointing matter, it's all bull#.we yes WE Americans are gonna keep doing what we've been doing(and if you misinterpret that statement and draw conclusions that's solely on you brother) we are just trying to make it in the same cruel world you are.
edit on 4-8-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: LunaticPandora

originally posted by: Revolution9

a reply to: strongfp

More America bashing BS.

The chart is wrong on so many categories it's not even funny.

Certainly with rape it is wrong . I did that check, done my homework. Anyone wishing to challenge the others.

I'd be happy to.

The follow covers teen birth rates from 2010-2014.
World Bank.org

See it for yourselves.

The OP's meme is not adding up there, too.

I add my voice to that: BEWARE the minxing memes with pretty diagrams, questionable motives and sources.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: beezzer

Then convert to the metric system.

Don't diss the metric system!

It makes the lives of us scientists a hell of a lot more easier!

I use the metric system all the time...Mostly in millimeters and meters...you know, 9mm at 25 meters...lol
edit on 482015 by LunaticPandora because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: Bluntone22

a reply to: strongfp

More America bashing BS.

The chart is wrong on so many categories it's not even funny.

But what is America number one in?

Charitable donations

Not exactly.

When adjusted for population it comes out about normal for developed country's.

Remember the USA has 300,000,000 people. So overall it will give "more".

So your going to take into account the population when it comes to charity, but not when it comes to co2 and prisoners and McDonald's location? You can't have it both ways.

Yes I will do that.

But even then there are few things the USA is number 1 at.

I didn't create the OP which it appears has few wrong stats.

Nobody is saying it's perfect, but a bunch of bs stats taken out of context certainly don't help the situation.

link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: Shamrock6

Most people born in the USA! you win that one also.

Actually, Mexico has that one.

Is that adjusted per capita or not? I can't remember which stats we're adjusting for and which ones we aren't.

It's Common Core maths, you have to figure in global warming, the wind chill, and the daily interest rate.

That's right. Is the wind chill supposed to be in Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Wait, it's the first Tuesday in an even numbered month, I think it's Celsius today.

link   

Don't diss the metric system!

It makes the lives of us scientists a hell of a lot more easier!

I tried to convert Atheism to Celcius once.

It broke my abacus.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Those stats are not exactly something to be proud of either. imho

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
Lucky for the rest of the world America is forging the way and you all can follow in our wake.

What way?

Socially the USA is still dragging behind much of the developed world.

As for economy the USA has stagnated and buckling under a massive debt and deficit.

If anyone is forging a way economically then that's the UK as we are the fastened developed economy in the world now.

Only way the USA is leading at the moment is military..... not exactly a good thing.

The USA needs to sort its social problems out and do what the UK has done with its economy and start reducing its deficit and stimulate growth. That something the UK and USA both work together on. Hopefully Japan gets with the program too.
I would hope Europe joins but they are a lost cause

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad

Those stats are not exactly something to be proud of either. imho

I dunno id be pretty proud of the space achievements.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I hereby publicly declare, that I am no longer interested in participating in this thread. It's not going anywhere for me. I asked the OP for links or sources for the original chart, I received nothing showing that it is even remotely true, I feel like its a gimmick to spark a heated and unhealthy argument based on little to no fact.

I will now be taking my leave of this thread.

*flips hair in a sassy manner and leaves the thread*

-Alee

edit on 8/4/2015 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

Really? You're not proud that we put more people in space? Or that we went to the moon? Assuming you believe we went, which if you don't then obviously it's moot.

I'm rather proud, and happy, we were on the winning side in two world wars. The alternative probably wouldn't have been all sunshine and butterflies.

As for the rest? They were rather tongue in cheek. Sorry if that eluded you.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Regarding the link between American diet and life expectancy well Japan comes top with an average life expectancy of 84. U.S is on 79. The U.S looses 5 years to Japan if we are to accept that American diet has anything to do with it.

source: List of countries by life expectancy (List by the World Health Organization (2013)).

Countries with highest heart disease deaths:

1.Russia
2.Bulgaria
3.Romania
4.Hungary
5.Argentina

Countries with least:

1.France
2.Australia
3.Switzerland
4.Japan
5.Israel

source: Heart Disease Statistics

Not as black and white as the OP's meme suggests.

Remedy...eat more Sushi, lol, then you get another 5 years on your life expectancy (may be).

edit on 4-8-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

This is an excellent example of why I got kicked out of my Statistics class in college.

I defiantly used all the statistical data to prove "and" to disprove every argument I was presented. This only gained me much animosity and ill will from my instructor.

Statistics are nothing but numbers. In the right hands, numbers can be arranged to play a many different tunes.

edit on 4-8-2015 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Grammar correction.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I will start with the WW's; I feel it would be more appropriate to say that capitalism won two world wars, or we were on the winning side in the two WW.

As for the moon landings, were number 1 at propaganda too!

No matter how one picks apart the chart / meme it does show there is a lot of room for improvement in the US of A's policies.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Cool.

I actually said "winning side" so I'm not sure why you felt compelled to try and nitpick on that. And you're right, we won because we spent a buttload of money to win. Men still had to go and do something with all those shiny things capitalism provided.

What does propaganda have to do with going to space and the moon? We did it. Whether one article is written about it or a million, we did it. And nothing changes that.

Sorry you're so self-loathing about being an American. It's really quite a cross to bear from what I understand.

But beyond spreading your own self-loathing, this thread is pretty pointless and you haven't done much (read: anything) to change that. All you're doing is trying to "fat-shame" (patriot-shame?) other Americans. That or score points with the anti-American crowd. Or both.

Whatever.
edit on 4-8-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Not sure where life expectancy plays into the chart, but as for the US of A being #1 in heart attacks. This could be from better record keeping or even the fact that many in the US of A have several heart attacks before dying.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

In life I have met many that can not see flaws in themselves and are able to blame every problem in their lives on others around them. My feelings are we must look at our flaws or we will keep making the same problems for our selves.

That said my post was to show we the US of A have some problems caused by us and our policies, we need to look at them before we can fix them.

No I do not hate the US of A, but with some changes I could be proud of our country.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I will start with the WW's; I feel it would be more appropriate to say that capitalism won two world wars, or we were on the winning side in the two WW.

As for the moon landings, were number 1 at propaganda too!

No matter how one picks apart the chart / meme it does show there is a lot of room for improvement in the US of A's policies.

We don't need a chart to tell us we have problems in America. All Americans are feeling that odd sick feeling in the gut, that tells us things are really getting bad here. If we aren't responding from what we see, smell, hear, taste and feel, a chart is just going to be another thing we ignore.

America is doomed if we don't turn this country around. We are not going to get any help in pulling that off. It is not in the best interest of those that are presently in control. They need us weak, stupid, afraid, and complacent.

/ meme it does show there is a lot of room for improvement in the US of A's policies.

The question is where do we start, and when

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

a reply to: Revolution9

Not sure where life expectancy plays into the chart, but as for the US of A being #1 in heart attacks. This could be from better record keeping or even the fact that many in the US of A have several heart attacks before dying.

I don't know. Certainly not the worst for prevalence and dying from it. I think you should check back with the source of your meme. As another member said endless games can be played with statistics. Who ever collaborated those figures had an agenda in mind I suggest. That was to make the U.S out to be the most monstrous nation on the earth. It is far from that. I'm sticking up for your country and don't want you to feel bad about your home unnecessarily.

Big respect, too, to the Alaskan Fisherman. I come from a fishing town in the UK.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Given where you posted the "graph" I would say this is a pretty good example of "preaching to the choir."

I think those who blindly think everything is hunky dory here are in the minority.

You can still be proud of your country despite it not being perfect. Perfect won't happen.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join