It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain and Immigration - Ignorance is Bliss

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scouse100
a reply to: crazyewok

So you think it is OK to expect France to take all of the migrants when they already receive double the applications that we do just because we happen to be less accessible?

Asylum Applications 2014

France, 64310
United Kingdom, 31945

Source: Eurostat

And what do you define as 'safe'. These people will be abandoned to the street or living in makeshift tents over in France while they await processing due to a 'shortage of housing'.

Are you trying to paint the Calais migrants all as rapists or terrorists or just trying to make a point that criminals may slip through the net due to the nature of the checks? You sure do well to sensationalise it Daily Mail style either way!!

And the UK doesn't have a housing crisis?

Compared to us France has a housing glut!
They are a bigger country than us and so should take more!

Plus I really don't care about the situation in France or Europe. UK should look out for its owns intrests. We fought two world wars to keep our soverinty away from that clown circus.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   
What's happening IMO is Europe is starting to be absorbed into the middle east and africa and will become more and more like those regions... not a pretty future. And weak PC political leaders will do nothing but try to protect themselves.
Historians will name this period the moslem wars of the 21st century.
edit on 10-8-2015 by JimTSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Perhaps if France stopped the migrants at its borders, the Brits and France would not have the problem?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Plus I really don't care about the situation in France or Europe. UK should look out for its owns intrests. We fought two world wars to keep our soverinty away from that clown circus.

That wasn't my point, my point was that France are leaving asylum applicants, people fleeing war, persecution, oppression to sleep on the street while they wait, hardly the safe haven you described. Yes the country is bigger in area but similar in population so no they should not be expected to take double the number we do.

The housing crisis is a home grown problem, we have not been building enough houses for a very long time in order to deliberately keep house prices high for wealthy homeowners, investors, business, the quarter of Tory MPs who are private landlords etc......

Look after our own interests? Yes we are very good at doing that, just not so great at taking responsibility for the consequences.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

a reply to: crazyewok

So you think it is OK to expect France to take all of the migrants when they already receive double the applications that we do just because we happen to be less accessible?

It's none of our (the British) business how France manages their migrant population unless the French policy directly encroaches upon British interests....

A Refugee camp in Calea, right on the opening to the channel tunnel is exactly that.

Asylum is about leaving a country because you are afraid for your safety..... it isn't leave your country with a map of the country you want to live in and travel across all boarders to get there....

to Prevent this we need strong boarder police with powers to search and seize and if necessary use deadly force. A message needs to go back that it's not the place to come.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Scouse100

just to point out - you can apply for asylum at any embassy or consular office .

so no you dont have to travel to the UK to apply for asylum

hint - if you do not believe this - google julian assange

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

That wasn't my point, my point was that France are leaving asylum applicants, people fleeing war, persecution, oppression to sleep on the street while they wait, hardly the safe haven you described. Yes the country is bigger in area but similar in population so no they should not be expected to take double the number we do.

The housing crisis is a home grown problem, we have not been building enough houses for a very long time in order to deliberately keep house prices high for wealthy homeowners, investors, business, the quarter of Tory MPs who are private landlords etc......

Look after our own interests? Yes we are very good at doing that, just not so great at taking responsibility for the consequences.

So apart from bleeding your little heart out on here what have you done to help?

I have helped sponser a genuine asylum seeker who I knew had a clean background from iran and helped him and his family do everything the LEGAL way.

I also helped a Chinese refuge with her tax forms as she was still getting used to reading english.

So what have you done?
I find you bleeding hearts are the first to cry your little hearts out but the last to help as thats for "other" People.

Opening the channel flood gates into free for all is NOT the answer as it put trains and lorrys in danger and alllows people who should not be here slip in.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TSOM87

Our Public Services i.e Council Housing, NHS, Schools, Hospitals are struggling to meet the demand of people. On top of that we also have the issue of Social Cohesion and on top of that we have the issue of Crime. This isn't false, its being reported all over the media.

Being 'reported all over the media' does not a fact make it! I am not denying our services are struggling, but migrants are being made a scapegoat by the media.

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

just to point out - you can apply for asylum at any embassy or consular office .

so no you dont have to travel to the UK to apply for asylum

hint - if you do not believe this - google julian assange

You know, I am not certain of the rules, but I am sure that if this was the case for these people they would be doing just that rather than risking their necks to cross?

So apart from bleeding your little heart out on here what have you done to help?

I have helped sponser a genuine asylum seeker who I knew had a clean background from iran and helped him and his family do everything the LEGAL way.

I also helped a Chinese refuge with her tax forms as she was still getting used to reading english.

So what have you done?
I find you bleeding hearts are the first to cry your little hearts out but the last to help as thats for "other" People.

Opening the channel flood gates into free for all is NOT the answer as it put trains and lorrys in danger and alllows people who should not be here slip in.

That's fantastic, out of genuine interest how did the 2 you helped get here, did they come in as tourists and then claim asylum?

My hope is to get involved politically and I have taken the first baby steps towards that.

I don't think we should be allowing migrants to jump on trains and lorries either, it put's them and others in danger, but in the same breath it doesn't make them 'vermin', just desperate.

What I am speaking out against is the dehumanisation, scapegoating, demonisation of the migrants and the shirking of responsibility by our country as a whole.

I was reading earlier about volunteers who have set up French classes in the Calais camp for migrants who are worried about not being able to speak the language (one of the reasons for them wanting to take great risks to come to the UK), and many have decided to apply in France given this opportunity.
Ideally of course, the root causes need to be tackled, but until then this is the kind of approach that needs to be taken, as well as ensuring we are taking our fair share of the responsibility. We can't just stick a wall up and ignore what is happening, that is inhuman to me.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

You know, I am not certain of the rules, but I am sure that if this was the case for these people they would be doing just that rather than risking their necks to cross?
It was changed in 2011. The UK will only accept asylum applications on UK soil now:
Gov.uk PDF link

As a signatory to the 1951 Refugee Convention, the UK fully considers all asylum
applications lodged in the UK. However, the UK’s international obligations under the
Convention do not extend to the consideration of asylum applications lodged abroad and
there is no provision in our Immigration Rules for someone abroad to be given permission to
travel to the UK to seek asylum.

The other member may well have been correct about other countries but not for the UK. Asylum seekers have to make it past the border.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   

One was a friend form university. She was over for study and her family back at home somehow had upset Ahmadinejad regime. I helped fill some forms out and they came over via flight. I believe they have gone back now.

The Chinese one, her mom and dad were dissidents (so China says, her grandparents were just linked with a family from the 50's that opposed Mao) in one of the stricter in Chinese provinces. even though they kids had nothing to do with it they started rounding them up anyway and her brother had got caught up in it and ended up in one of the labor camps and from what she heard tortured pretty bad. Luckily she was here on study when it happen and was able to apply for asylum here.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   

One was a friend form university. She was over for study and her family back at home somehow had upset Ahmadinejad regime. I helped fill some forms out and they came over via flight. I believe they have gone back now.

The Chinese one, her mom and dad were dissidents (so China says, her grandparents were just linked with a family from the 50's that opposed Mao) in one of the stricter in Chinese provinces. even though they kids had nothing to do with it they started rounding them up anyway and her brother had got caught up in it and ended up in one of the labor camps and from what she heard tortured pretty bad. Luckily she was here on study when it happen and was able to apply for asylum here.

Thanks, my best friend at school was an Iraqi asylum seeker, at that age I didn't to even think of aksing the ins and outs of how her family got over here but I seem to remember they just got out at the right time and flew over and then they were able to claim asylum.

I guess in a way my friend and the friends you helped were the lucky ones. Perhaps if the rules/obligations that grainofsand posted were changed so that asylum seekers did not have to be on UK soil before they apply then the illegal entry through the tunnel may be much less of an issue.
edit on 11-8-2015 by Scouse100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Thats a much better way of going about change.

I agree. At least that way background can be checked and a safe way of entry can be granted.

A free for all at the tunnel is certainly the wrong way.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Boo hoo.
This is a nation of immigrants...

Or are you forgetting that it's an Island?

But yes, blame the liberals, even if it was paedo Heath and other right wingers who pushed for this EU collaboration.
Probably for an easing of human trafficking across our waters.
You're reaping what you sow.

...the area is "not the same".

Say what you mean...
Don't let us assume, say it!

This is France from a couple of months ago but the local news around here is reporting they had another disturbance yesterday. Immigrants used to come to a country; become part of that country by speaking the language and assimilating. They did not come to turn the host country into another S**T hole just like the one the fled from.

England

America and so called Radicals

Sweden

Pick a western country and do a youtube news search (actually China and particularly Russia have their own, 'same old stuff from the so called radicals) .. It does not take anyone with half a brain to see there are problems with many in this group of immigrants; if not now, it does not matter, for the seeds have been sown. But hey I live in a country where over 10,000 (about a thousand a year) nurses,doctors, students, monks, drivers, shoppers, et al are killed by people who claim to be Muslim.... because they want their own laws, taxes, state and government.. Words are easily said but actions always speak louder; especially when bombs and bullets are used.

France, England, and many other countries will suffer the same old archaic demented radical crap sooner or later...Probably sooner that most want to admit.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Everyone who has posted here should watch this...

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
All I can say about this situation is: What goes around comes around.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Firefly_

Could you elaborate?

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Firefly_
All I can say about this situation is: What goes around comes around.

REally??

So Please give me an example of when the English left our Fair Isle and en mass decided to go to another country and ask for asylum??

Have the British ever done anything other than Help themselves throughout History?

This is what you Europeans haven't a clue about.... Britain is the place it is today because we the British stood on our own two feet, not only did we do that but in often cases had to leave our fair Isle not to seek asylum but to fight your bloody battles for you.

And now you lot want a piece of our spoils... nope sorry go and build your own country!

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow

This is the short version, I don't have time right now to go into full and accurate details.

The British empire conquered the world, setting up colonies in the countries they could, imposing their way of life, their culture and systems upon the natives. While undoubtedly some of these were beneficial for the natives, it was all really for the benefit of the British elite. Our wealth is built upon this.

Now the tables have turned, and cultures from all around the planet, including many from nations which were formerly a part of the BE are migrating to the UK, refusing to integrate, taking over systems, imposing cultures, draining the economy (or taking back what is rightfully theirs). The irony here though is while the country is clearly suffering as a result, the very same type of people who benefitted from the BE are the same who benefit from the current situation reversal.
edit on 11-8-2015 by Firefly_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Firefly_
a reply to: MrCrow

This is the short version, I don't have time right now to go into full and accurate details.

The British empire conquered the world, setting up colonies in the countries they could, imposing their way of life, their culture and systems upon the natives. While undoubtedly some of these were beneficial for the natives, it was all really for the benefit of the British elite. Our wealth is built upon this.

Now the tables have turned, and cultures from all around the planet, including many from nations which were formerly a part of the BE are migrating to the UK, refusing to integrate, taking over systems, imposing cultures, draining the economy (or taking back what is rightfully theirs). The irony here though is while the country is clearly suffering as a result, the very same type of people who benefitted from the BE are the same who benefit from the current situation reversal.

Dude this is not 1815... it's 2015...

1. We don't have an empire and we haven't for many many many years

2. The people seeking asylum here have nothing to do with the previous empire, it has everything to do with the fact that we have it good here... and it's getting better all the time.. onward and upwards.... and these so called asylum seekers don't really need asylum they just want what the British have worked so hard to build. They are like locust to a crop.

3. Other nations looking in from the EU want to damage the British growth, we are set to overtake Germany economically by 2020 and the entire of the EU by 2030.

We the British people will, in response.

1. Vote for leaving the EU in 2016
2. Set up a border force similar to Australia
3. Cut foreign aid
4. Trade with the rest of the world first and Europe last.

If you don't like it you can go forth and multiply... else where

edit on 11-8-2015 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Firefly_

Regardless, I am pleased we have a government which is determined to protect the border.
You can bleat all you like but Britain has no international obligation to take a single migrant from any safe EU country.

...and considering the former empire, WTF has that got to do with me? All the major nations achieved independence before I was even born. I couldn't give a toss about governments of the past, just the ones which have influence over my life right now.
The current government has expressed that it is not gonna let thousands of migrants in and is stepping up security on the border to stop them entering illegally.

I support that, the majority of citizens also support that, so no matter how many bleeding hearts post their opinions on internet forums that ain't gonna change any time soon.

Write to your MP if you want to let those migrants in from safe countries, you will be in a minority, and that pleases me.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join